Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I've deleted confirmed information

Rumors from September 30
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumors from October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)

Rumors from October 2-3
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)

Rumors from October 4-5
  • Gettable claiming pick 25 for Neal-Bullen and a future 2nd for Peatling (link)

Rumors from October 6
  • Tom Morris claims we are open to splitting pick 4 (link)

Rumor summary October 8
  • Jon Ralph claims we are not prepared to use a future 2nd on Peatling (link)

Rumor summary October 9
  • Graham Wright will not join Adelaide, instead taking up the Carlton CEO role (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the Peatling trade will involve future 2nd and 3rd round picks, and we have offered him a four year deal at about $600k per season (link)
  • Riley Beveridge claims we asked GWS if they were interested in one of our players in the Peatling trade (link)

Rumor summary October 10

• Collingwood are interested in Justin Reid as their new head of football (link)
  • GWS want our future 2nd and pick 46 for Peatling (link)

Last edited:
I honestly reckon he's up against it. He's one of four primary votes and the other 3 are hopeless underqualified or proven underperformers for/in their roles. And I'm pretty sure that one of the conclusions that came from the external review was that Reid needed more power, so those guys rated what they saw from him. Whether he got it, is unlikely, Roo has been controlling that aspect and he's a dead set idiot.
Remember he’s Roo’s captains call and Roo likely acknowledges that he’s a smarter man than Roo

Any time Reid looks good Roo looks good and Roo can feel vindicated now that a big club like collingwood is poaching him

Firstly, I am Reidy biggest fan so pls be clear on that (stating previously my fear was we would lose him being SA based team and his frustration getting non SA boys to move here). He has done well under the circumstances with securing the important SA guys returning home overall in recent years (JHF didn’t want to come here) and his teams pick swaps close to best in the league.

But look at things holistically. If you take out the 2 FA as you say (would go anywhere), 2 returning SA boys in Rankine and Dawson and BEFORE this year we had not much to show despite trying for so many players in recent years. Last year alone Day, Redman, Oliver and Petty (dodged a bullet). Jezza Cameron and Martin a couple of big names from his early years with us.

Attracting players to Collingwood would be a much easier gig IMO. I am concerned we lose him
What big gun key forward has collingwood attracted in the last 10 years even though they’ve gone for most ? And been in dire need of one for most of that time

Mcstay doesn’t count , he’s the biggest one they’ve landed despite being in market for all

Didnt we also rate Redman and Pettys ceilings?

It may be a development issue at Essendon but I dont rate ours any better
No doubt Redman had a “career year” last year but still comfortably top 10 this year wasn’t he in the B&F with very similar average stats

Agree re Petty. Not sure what we saw in him? Admittedly bad injury probably impacted his year but certainly not worth the $$ and trade picks rumoured this time last year

Doesn't look like much of an upgrade to me...if at all

Compare​

Search
PlayerReilly O'Brien
Season (Age)2016 (21)2019 (24)2020 (25)2021 (26)2022 (27)2023 (28)2024 (29)Career
Player Rating12.53
Supercoach Points97.2
Fantasy Points89.8
Coaches Votes87
Coaches Votes (Average)0.72
Time On Ground85.9
Disposals13.4
Disposal Efficiency64.3
Kicking Efficiency47.8
Inside 50s1.7
Metres Gained122.2
Contested Possessions8.3
Centre Clearances1.1
Total Clearances3.3
Marks3.0
Contested Marks1.4
Hitouts34.8
Hitout Win %46.3
Hitout To Advantage9.9
Tackles3.6
Goals (Total)14
Goals (Average)0.1
Shots At Goal0.3
Goal Assists0.2
Score Involvements4.1
Score Involvement %18.7
PlayerReilly O'Brien

Compare​

Search
PlayerSam Draper
Season (Age)2020 (22)2021 (23)2022 (24)2023 (25)2024 (26)Career
Player Rating10.92
Supercoach Points74.3
Fantasy Points61.9
Coaches Votes36
Coaches Votes (Average)0.49
Time On Ground76.9
Disposals10.2
Disposal Efficiency62.1
Kicking Efficiency53.0
Inside 50s2.5
Metres Gained193.8
Contested Possessions6.7
Centre Clearances1.3
Total Clearances3.5
Marks2.3
Contested Marks1.0
Hitouts21.6
Hitout Win %42.1
Hitout To Advantage6.6
Tackles1.8
Goals (Total)36
Goals (Average)0.5
Shots At Goal1.2
Goal Assists0.3
Score Involvements4.5
Score Involvement %21.2
PlayerSam Draper

What big gun key forward has collingwood attracted in the last 10 years even though they’ve gone for most ? And been in dire need of one for most of that time

Mcstay doesn’t count , he’s the biggest one they’ve landed despite being in market for all
Mate we are at cross hairs. Pies list management has been diabolically bad in recent years at one point seemingly well over the cap and needing to dump Treloar, Stephenson and at least one more to Horks. List Mgr got sacked 4-5 years ago

I am saying (1) Reid is a good operator and (2) Collingwood by its nature of being the biggest club in the land (high profile always in media, mega crowds, mega members, playing 15+ games at The G, off field opps for players etc) gives them a competitive advantage over us and most other clubs.

Therefore (3 it would be tempting for Reid to take the gig and (4) I wouldn’t blame him for jumping ship and am concerned he will take the Pies gig.

Mate we are at cross hairs. Pies list management has been diabolically bad in recent years at one point seemingly well over the cap and needing to dump Treloar, Stephenson and at least one more to Horks. List Mgr got sacked 4-5 years ago

I am saying (1) Reid is a good operator and (2) Collingwood by its nature of being the biggest club in the land (high profile always in media, mega crowds, mega members, playing 15+ games at The G, off field pops for players etc) gives them a competitive advantage over us and most other clubs.

Therefore (3 it would be tempting for Reid to take the gig and (4) I wouldn’t blame him for jumping ship and am concerned he will take the Pies gig.
Definitely re pies gig big club etc might be too good to refuse

My argument is/ was he won’t move because it’s too hard to attract players to crows , that’s been proven incorrect

Doesn't look like much of an upgrade to me...if at all

Compare​

Search
PlayerReilly O'Brien
Season (Age)2016 (21)2019 (24)2020 (25)2021 (26)2022 (27)2023 (28)2024 (29)Career
Player Rating12.53
Supercoach Points97.2
Fantasy Points89.8
Coaches Votes87
Coaches Votes (Average)0.72
Time On Ground85.9
Disposals13.4
Disposal Efficiency64.3
Kicking Efficiency47.8
Inside 50s1.7
Metres Gained122.2
Contested Possessions8.3
Centre Clearances1.1
Total Clearances3.3
Marks3.0
Contested Marks1.4
Hitouts34.8
Hitout Win %46.3
Hitout To Advantage9.9
Tackles3.6
Goals (Total)14
Goals (Average)0.1
Shots At Goal0.3
Goal Assists0.2
Score Involvements4.1
Score Involvement %18.7
PlayerReilly O'Brien

Compare​

Search
PlayerSam Draper
Season (Age)2020 (22)2021 (23)2022 (24)2023 (25)2024 (26)Career
Player Rating10.92
Supercoach Points74.3
Fantasy Points61.9
Coaches Votes36
Coaches Votes (Average)0.49
Time On Ground76.9
Disposals10.2
Disposal Efficiency62.1
Kicking Efficiency53.0
Inside 50s2.5
Metres Gained193.8
Contested Possessions6.7
Centre Clearances1.3
Total Clearances3.5
Marks2.3
Contested Marks1.0
Hitouts21.6
Hitout Win %42.1
Hitout To Advantage6.6
Tackles1.8
Goals (Total)36
Goals (Average)0.5
Shots At Goal1.2
Goal Assists0.3
Score Involvements4.5
Score Involvement %21.2
PlayerSam Draper
While I don't think Draper is an upgrade either, when comparing stats remember we play a 1 ruck system with obrien attending 85%+ of CBAs where as Essendon use a 2 ruck system and Draper prob averages around 50% CBA

Last edited:
Reid came in as list manager at the end of 2014 and was not able to keep a premiership list together to win a premiership. We were slow in recognising the need to rejuvenate the list after the 2018 season, to the point it completely collapsed, giving us our first spoon in 2020. In to our 8th year since we last made finals and we finish 15th. If we can't find someone that lives in Adelaide that can do a better job than Reid has done then what hope is there?

Port given approval to trade future first
Of course they are. Never in doubt.
friend code GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To get to another club.
Ok but are you suggesting he decreases - or puts at risk - his guaranteed 8-10m over the next 6 years (assuming he maintains contract standards)

If so, wouldn’t that be unlikely? What sort of deal are you thinking he may be happy to renegotiate to?

Reid came in as list manager at the end of 2014 and was not able to keep a premiership list together to win a premiership. We were slow in recognising the need to rejuvenate the list after the 2018 season, to the point it completely collapsed, giving us our first spoon in 2020. In to our 8th year since we last made finals and we finish 15th. If we can't find someone that lives in Adelaide that can do a better job than Reid has done then what hope is there?
List managers don’t live in Adelaide

While I don't think Draper is an upgrade either, when comparing stats remember we play a 1 ruck system with obrien attending 85%+ of CBAs whete as Essendon use a 2 ruck system and Draper prob averages around 50% CBA
The obvious question is why if Draper is so wonderful why have Essendon given 36 year old Todd Goldstein another contract when they have 22 yo Nick Bryan doing OK in the VFL who they drafted with a relatively high pick 38 back in 2019?

They're averages re Draper vs ROB, if we must target a mature age ruck there has to be other options out there for us taking into account the salary and draft capital it will require because Essendon won't make it easy...that's indeed if he actually wants to head back to SA. If he wasn't a SA product would there be as much interest on this board?

While I don't think Draper is an upgrade either, when comparing stats remember we play a 1 ruck system with obrien attending 85%+ of CBAs where as Essendon use a 2 ruck system and Draper prob averages around 50% CBA
It's one of the reasons ROB likes a high TOG. Means that he gets to fill his boots vs the Opposition No 2

I got a feeling Reid will want to see it through a bit longer but it’s a big job offer for sure and might be too good to refuse
If Reid is looking to progress his career ....he has to take the COLL job

You can't pick & choose the timing

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back