Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the race for Peatling is down to GWS, Adelaide or a Victorian club (link)

Rumor summary October 2
  • Ricciuto claims we will announce a director of coaching this week (link)
  • GWS have upped their offer for Peatling to four years (link)
  • Twomey claims the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide, GWS and Western Bulldogs (link)
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)
  • Kymbo says the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide or GWS (link)
  • Poster claims Peatling has decided to stay in Sydney (link)
  • Poster claims our offer for Peatling is the best in terms of dollars by far (link)
  • We've landed Murray Davis from the Brisbane Lions as coaching director (link)

Last edited:
Was only a gut feel from them, but they thought he likely stays as there’s more opportunities with Cumming and Perryman gone to be a best 22 regular.
Just not as a mid?

I thought he was looking for midfield minutes? Or was that Perryman?

'There’s more opportunities to be a best 22 regular.' - Have they seen our list?

Just not as a mid?

I thought he was looking for midfield minutes? Or was that Perryman?
Perryman does go through the midfield a little bit, him leaving just opens up another midfield rotation spot for him. This was only a gut feel from another club not involved in this trade though, they were only definitive on the contract terms.

Is it?

We've missed on countless targets over the past 3 years.
Is our target aiming wrong?
I'd suggest we've also offered the mid time he desires but wouldn't get at the Giants. He'd slot nicely into our rotation.

Yes we've missed targets of course, but the fact he's (reportedly) got down to 2 and 1 of them is us, means we're probably doing a few things right.

If we do get Peatling, something will have to give. And it won’t be Laird. Very concerning that guys like Taylor won’t get a look in. Let’s hope he replaces guys like Berry and Dowling, who in my opinion, aren’t going to make us better long term.

It would certainly help to attract players if we could actually make the finals once in a while.
That’s got nothing to do with this, we are trying to pry out a player that is a local academy product and has all his family/friends living near him. Offering more money and a guaranteed midfield spot is the best we can do here, if that’s not enough we can’t do anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More money, more midfield time, happy gf and play infront of 45k+ regularly...... the decision not actually that hard.
Against that is our dysfunctional reputation…

Managed to get some intel on Peatling from my contact. The Crows are offering the best deal by far in terms of pure $$$, if he stays at the Giants it will be for less money (even with the extra year added today). We have given this our best shot, it he stays then there’s genuinely not much else we could have done.
We are in a position to offer Peatling more money & more midfield time... so hopefully with 2 good mates at AFC, he decides to join them.

If he doesn't make an announcement prior to their B&F, I would be feeling very confident he is leaving GWS.

Walking away from an overpriced trade wasn't a mistake. The mistake was caving and going back the second time.

Although you have to shake your head in bewilderment when you look at the 2 first rounders Carlton were demanding back then for Gibbs due to his contracted status, then look at what they're now reportedly offering for the also contracted (and back to back All Australian) Dan Houston.

Part of their annoyance was they’d paid the frontloaded portion of Gibbs’ contract and he was bailing on the cheap portion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back