Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the race for Peatling is down to GWS, Adelaide or a Victorian club (link)

Rumor summary October 2
  • Ricciuto claims we will announce a director of coaching this week (link)
  • GWS have upped their offer for Peatling to four years (link)
  • Twomey claims the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide, GWS and Western Bulldogs (link)
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)
  • Kymbo says the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide or GWS (link)
  • Poster claims Peatling has decided to stay in Sydney (link)
  • Poster claims our offer for Peatling is the best in terms of dollars by far (link)
  • We've landed Murray Davis from the Brisbane Lions as coaching director (link)

Last edited:
If he was being announced as a line coach you'd find the reaction would be completely different.

The reality is he's coming into a role (Director of Coaching) that he's arguably not completely qualified for.

That's the issue people have with this.

The big clubs have no issue pulling high quality candidates while we have to resort to plucking someone from obscurity, putting him into the position and hoping that he'll deliver.

We essentially did the same thing with Adam Kelly.

Who are the high profile coaching directors around the place. Do we have a list of who has those roles at other clubs?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’s been known he’s looking for higher roles so I think he goes to Carlton as CEO
I agree ....wasn't he also targeted for a Tassie Role

I struggle to see what the attraction of the ADEL role would be .....

Who are the high profile coaching directors around the place. Do we have a list of who has those roles at other clubs?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
This reaction reminds me of people going off re us drafting someone they’ve never heard of

And I’ve been guilty of it myself before

Without the inside info it’s tough to know what an acquisition this guy might be , time will tell but has a few things going for him

High profile doesn’t always mean best candidate either

Nothing like kelly really, davis has been involved with a successful club
Time will tell if it's a good appointment, but that's true for anyone
Plenty of well known names end up being failures too

Of course it is

Adam Kelly was CEO of East Fremantle and then General Manger of Football with the SANFL.

We looked at his experience and in the absence of higher qualified candidates, we hoped that he could step up and perform.

Of course it is

Adam Kelly was CEO of East Fremantle and then General Manger of Football with the SANFL.

We looked at his experience and in the absence of higher qualified candidates, we hoped that he could step up and perform.
We probably should have done some referee checks though...

Someone like Justin Leppitch? A failed senior coach that had a toxic history at the Lions as a coach, but is a well credentialled assistant coach. We are getting someone in that is highly respected by a premiership winning club and has developed AA players like Harris Andrews since draft day.
Where did I even mention Leppitsch. I couldnt begin to say how little I think of him on a year to year basis let alone day to day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does Geelong actually get Smith and Oliver.
You'd presume Dogs want a first and a second.
Like Pick 15 and F2.

Unless Oliver for a third rounder actually happens.
Smith would be a top 10 pick I rekon .

And if ports are asking for 2 firsts for Houston , smith would be worth twice that .

In terms of trade targets

Smith > Bolton > Houston > Rioli

Is that what a director of coaching does?

Brendan Bolton was director of coaching above Alistair Clarkson after being his assistant and then an epic failure as a senior coach. Then straight back to being an assistant. Can't see him telling Clarko anything lol.

Now he's a director of coaching and an assistant coach at Collingwood.

I'd really like to see what the role description is.

Me too. I dont think its about telling a coach what to do per say. There job is to not be a yes man. A sounding board for the coach to run ideas, justify their programs. Basically keeps the coach on a consistent path, provide feedback while over seeing the entire coaching department. Everyone needs constructive feedback and you need guys who wont turn into a yes man that a coach can walk all over. I suspect this is what they want for Nicks. Someone with the time to oversee everything and help Nicks in those areas.

Wouldn’t we want to know the role first though ?

I’d love to be such an expert without having any of the info in front of me
The tweet said coaching director

A role he has never held

ie learning on the job

This reaction reminds me of people going off re us drafting someone they’ve never heard of

And I’ve been guilty of it myself before

Without the inside info it’s tough to know what an acquisition this guy might be , time will tell but has a few things going for him

High profile doesn’t always mean best candidate either
That’s because you’re not getting it. Let’s say the club through all their research thought he was the best man for the job, went for him and got him, fine.

But the chances of that actually being the case given all you know about our club and our difficulties? Especially when it’s being reported in the media how difficult we were finding it to fill the role. Do you think being the coaching director of the Adelaide Crows, overseeing Nicks and his band of quality coaches would be a sought after gig?

What do think is more plausible. We nabbed the best candidate with no experience in the job or worked our way down a long list?

I suppose some of us are just disappointed that we hoped we might have actually pulled off a coup and actually got the experienced targets we were after. But we clearly haven’t.

It might turn out to be great appointment and then awesome. But at this stage it’s just hope and wishful thinking and weren’t you hoping for more?

Good with a fly swat I'm told...
MurrayUte-scaled.jpg

You make it sound like he’s never coached in his life 😂
Never said that at all and if you look at my first post on this I wish him well

It’s more responsibility than the roles he’s had at the Lions, but it’s not like he has to learn about a whole new field
ie learning on the job

I wish people would admit it and move on. I hope he does well. I'm just annoyed that we continue this idea that we are a club that allows people to learn on the job

Face it we are now a feeder club

Never said that at all and if you look at my first post on this I wish him well

ie learning on the job

I wish people would admit it and move on. I hope he does well. I'm just annoyed that we continue this idea that we are a club that allows people to learn on the job

Face it we are now a feeder club
That’s a very broad definition of “learning on the job”, that’s all I’ll say there

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back