Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I've deleted confirmed information

Rumor summary September 30
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)

Rumor summary October 2-3
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)

Rumor summary October 4-5
  • Gettable claiming pick 25 for Neal-Bullen and a future 2nd for Peatling (link)

Rumor summary October 6
  • Tom Morris claims we are open to splitting pick 4 (link)

Rumor summary October 7
  • No new rumors, although Justin Reid confirmed we'll use pick 28 on Neal-Bullen

Last edited:
I have no issue with ultimately parting with pick 28 for ANB. So long as we know the F2 and pick 45 can get Peatling done. If we grab ANB and Peatling for a mix of 28, F2 and 45 that’s a win to me.

But based on Carusco and Reids interviews we don’t seem to have a baseline for Peatling yet. So to open negotiations offering pick 25 for ANB? Very unnecessary. I’d consider Peatling more valuable than ANB, yet we’ve already traded away our more valuable asset. What happens if GWS play hard ball regarding the F2? We’ve just needlessly given ourselves less wriggle room.

Last edited:

Is it?

I feel it's slightly overs. But he almost won the B+F - it's not like it's a Jack Billings scenario.

Yes

Recent trades for players around the age of Neal-Bullen at the time of the trade

Taylor Adams - pick 33
James Harmes - future 3rd
Brodie Grundy - pick 46 + future 2nd
Shane McAdam - future 2nd
Jack Billings - future 3rd
Lachie Hunter - future 3rd
Rory Lobb - pick 30 + future 2nd
Tom Mitchell - pick 41 + pick 50
Jaeger O'Meara - future 2nd + Lloyd Meek
Blake Acres - future 3rd
Ben Brown - about pick 31
Kyle Hartigan - future 4th
Adam Treloar - virtually nothing
Josh Bruce - pick 31 + 51
Hugh Greenwood - future 3rd + future 4th
Alex Keath - future 2nd
Jack Steven - pick 58
Taylor Duryea - future 4th
Travis Colyer - future 4th
Gary Rohan - pick 61
Tom Scully - future 4th
Jordan Roughead - pick 75

From what I could tell, pick 25 would be among the most paid in five years for a player 28+ years old

At his age the general value is a 3rd rounder. Small premium on top if you're a key position player.

Not all of these players were contracted to be fair, and some weren't exactly wanted players by their origin club. But it doesn't seem like Melbourne are putting any roadblocks in place to stop ANB from leaving and are letting him go for genuine family reasons

Good point. If I was a betting man I think he is less than 10% chance of being retained in the extended leadership group.

C Dawson
VC ROB, Keays
Extended (assuming this is retained) - Hinge, Soligo, Fog (small chance to move to VC and helps re-sign)

ANB seems a natural leader to join extended group - perhaps in 2026
Personally, would like to see C Dawson, VC Fog. I dont think there is any need for an extended leadership group...each of the senior players should act as a leader...

Yes

At his age the general value is a 3rd rounder. Small premium on top if you're a key position player.

Not all of these players were contracted to be fair, and some weren't exactly wanted players by their origin club. But it doesn't seem like Melbourne are putting any roadblocks in place to stop ANB from leaving and are letting him go for genuine family reasons
It'll end up being very much like the Taylor Adams trade but I'll guess better value.

Adams was always a weird target for Sydney

Nope, the Collingwood interest was real, Berry's best mates with Eddie's 2 sons, he actually spent part of his holidays overseas with them. I think he eventually lands there
Once we have locked in ANB, Peatling and Cumming then we may look to see if there is an interest in some of our contracted players. Things will change for the other teams and if they miss out on a midfielder etc in the trade market they may look elsewhere.

I would expect Berry, Schoenberg, Laird, Murphy and Burgess might all be available if they are willing to move from Adelaide. Berry and Laird would attract the most interest but I doubt if we are willing to lose Laird.

Nope, the Collingwood interest was real, Berry's best mates with Eddie's 2 sons, he actually spent part of his holidays overseas with them. I think he eventually lands there

I don't get this at all.

Eddie is not at Collingwood, neither are his sons.

Once we have locked in ANB, Peatling and Cumming then we may look to see if there is an interest in some of our contracted players. Things will change for the other teams and if they miss out on a midfielder etc in the trade market they may look elsewhere.

I would expect Berry, Schoenberg, Laird, Murphy and Burgess might all be available if they are willing to move from Adelaide. Berry and Laird would attract the most interest but I doubt if we are willing to lose Laird.
Berry literally signed a new contract with us - they are not trading him

If we're not going to use a mid to late second round pick on a quality genuine small forward, I hope we're targeting one in a trade next season.

I like ANB in the short term, but we also need to be thinking about getting a quality young small forward.
im more worried about ruck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we happy with this?
Yes.

I said on the main board I would have liked one of 48 or 53 back for a Welsh bid but not overly worried to be honest.

Maybe, hopefully.

I reckon we’re more thinking pick swaps
We'll probably offload our third rounder for a 2025 pick. Pick 4 and a late/rookie pick for Welsh will be it from the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back