Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I've deleted confirmed information

Rumor summary September 30
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)

Rumor summary October 2-3
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)

Rumor summary October 4-5
  • Gettable claiming pick 25 for Neal-Bullen and a future 2nd for Peatling (link)

Rumor summary October 6
  • Tom Morris claims we are open to splitting pick 4 (link)

Rumor summary October 7
  • No new rumors, although Justin Reid confirmed we'll use pick 28 on Neal-Bullen

Last edited:

That was the mail from a mate at West Lakes. No Lukosius, no Cumming, no Perryman and no Keane.

I guess the increase in the contract offered to both Keane and Cumming was irrelevant.
Pitching Houston Astros GIF by San Francisco Giants

And that Clown Rowe ....showing how much of a buffoon he is ....I apologise for the block of wood reference, it was unfair to all wood blocks

If you're going to have a radio show, at least try and put some effort in

Peatling ....no elite speed .....not a goal kicker .....just an average footballer with no elite traits
And now, cementing his status .....caught in a revolting "hot mic"

Back tracks on Peatling, but still hasn't watched him obviously .....gone from no speed, to elite speed, in a few days ....tackles, but not a goal kicker ....so much for looking at stats of a player subbed in 7 games

Are you sure, I'm fairly certain the same rules apply.

You don't lose the pick, just the points are subtracted from the pick and it sides back to where it's value sits.

It happened a couple of years ago with the Dockers and their first rounder slid back the next season due to being in deficit.

Hypothetically if a team was 400 points in deficit and they had Pick 5 the next season that pick would slide back to 9 to cover the deficit.
Thats exactly what concerns me. And it’s a helluva of a drop as you illustrated.

With this years draft quality and depth it may be harder to shake a pick 50 ish free than previous.

Surprised we didn’t get back one of the Dees picks in the 50’s yesterday in the ANB trade.

I suppose another way to look at it is crows have effectively signalled they don’t have enough points for an early bid on Welsh. Says to another club that if you did early (eg 25-low 30’s) you will end up with him. We may also get an in-principle agreement with someone to get the relevant pick if needed on draft night but it just weakens our bargaining position. Giants do have lots of picks, inc their 2 FA picks but also have lots of outgoing players in trades/FA (at least 4 inc likely Stone) before delistings

Didn’t the bid come in the first round though?

It doesn't matter where the bids come in round wise.

If you go into deficit the amount of points you're in deficit come off your first pick the subsequent year.

If you match and say you're 250 points in deficit then those points come off your first pick the next year.

Say a team ended up with Pick 10 the following year, Pick 10 is worth 1,395 points so it then has 250 deducted and it slides to the closest pick to that point value which would be Pick 14.

That's why teams try to avoid going into deficit because it can have a big effect the following year.

I just hope the club has read the room correctly with Welsh because if someone bids for Welsh in the 20s we might be in a spot of bother.

Last edited:

If you go into deficit the amount of points you're in deficit cone off your first pick the subsequent year.

If you match and say you're 250 points in deficit then those points come off your first pick the next year.

Say a team ended up with Pick 10 the following year, Pick 10 is worth 1,395 points so it then has 250 deducted and it slides to the closest pick to that point value which would be Pick 14.

That's why teams try to avoid going into deficit because it can have a big effect the following year.
Yep. That said, next year starts putting higher value on first round picks vs later picks from my understanding (which has been a no brained for years) so it may not be quite as dramatic fall. But even dropping 1-2 spots in our first round pick in 2025 is a very bad result

And now, cementing his status .....caught in a revolting "hot mic"

Back tracks on Peatling, but still hasn't watched him obviously .....gone from no speed, to elite speed, in a few days ....tackles, but not a goal kicker ....so much for looking at stats of a player subbed in 7 games
What was the “hot mic” controversy Wayne? I missed that.

Agree re his distinct lack of knowledge about Peatling. I mentioned last week Rowey saying no elite traits including “nothing special with speed” (or similar words) just showed a total lack of preparation on his behalf.

Yep. That said, next year starts putting higher value on first round picks vs later picks from my understanding (which has been a no brained for years) so it may not be quite as dramatic fall. But even dropping 1-2 spots in our first round pick in 2025 is a very bad result

I'm surprised that we didn't try to get 48 back in the ANB trade.

Surely pick 28 and 63 for ANB and 48 wouldn't have been too far off the mark.

46 and 48 would have then covered for Welsh in a case a bid comes in the mid 20s. I'm guessing the reason they didn't was because the club are pretty confident that Welsh isn't on anyone's radar.

Hopefully they're right.

If you go into deficit the amount of points you're in deficit come off your first pick the subsequent year.

I just hope the club has read the room correctly with Welsh because if someone bids for Welsh in the 20s we might be in a spot of bother.
I think your 100% wrong on this one.

The AFL added a safeguard to its complex system last year to protect the future first-round picks of clubs who want to take a father-son or academy player late in the draft.

It means that a club will not risk pushing back its first pick in the following year's draft if it goes into a points debt by choosing a later-round selection.

Instead, any points incurred for later round players can be repaid in the round the bid is received. A first-round draft position would only be altered if a bid came in the previous year's first round, which seems unlikely for the Collingwood pair.

This means that if the Pies go into deficit by matching an early third-round bid for Daicos, then their third-round pick next year would be shuffled down the order to make up the leftover points.

46 and 48 would have then covered for Welsh in a case a bid comes in the mid 20s. I'm guessing the reason they didn't was because the club are pretty confident that Welsh isn't on anyone's radar.

Hopefully they're right.
We wouldn't have been able to take 4, 46 and 48 into the draft, would we?

We still should have tried and then looked to trade the picks for a single earlier pick, but they obviously feel a bid on Welsh in the first 40 is very unlikely.

Hopefully they're right.
i don't understand the stressing
they might get a third back from peatling deal or just trade F3 for a third this week. we wont go negative after the FS discount. reid will have that sorted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We still should have tried and then looked to trade the picks for a single earlier pick, but they obviously feel a bid on Welsh in the first 40 is very unlikely.
Could always trade it for a future pick, given how deep this draft is, a pick in the 40s would be in demand.

What was the “hot mic” controversy Wayne? I missed that.

Agree re his distinct lack of knowledge about Peatling. I mentioned last week Rowey saying no elite traits including “nothing special with speed” (or similar words) just showed a total lack of preparation on his behalf.

Rowey’s comments showed a lack of knowledge on the player - he even went as far as saying he’s Peatling is behind Pedlar and Berry

I would”t say Peatling has elite speed but he definitely has above average speed, and his agility in traffic is elite IMO

We are getting a player that is on the rise as a player - let’s be honest if he was behind Pedlar and I rate Peds he wouldn’t have had 6-7 clubs chasing him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The AFL added a safeguard to its complex system last year to protect the future first-round picks of clubs who want to take a father-son or academy player late in the draft.

It means that a club will not risk pushing back its first pick in the following year's draft if it goes into a points debt by choosing a later-round selection.

Instead, any points incurred for later round players can be repaid in the round the bid is received. A first-round draft position would only be altered if a bid came in the previous year's first round, which seems unlikely for the Collingwood pair.

This means that if the Pies go into deficit by matching an early third-round bid for Daicos, then their third-round pick next year would be shuffled down the order to make up the leftover points.

👍

I stand corrected, thanks for posting this.

I think we can if we hold off on signing Smith until after the draft.

Rowey’s comments showed a lack of knowledge on the player - he even went as far as saying he’s Peatling is behind Pedlar and Berry

I would”t say Peatling has elite speed but he definitely has above average speed, and his agility in traffic is elite IMO

We are getting a player that is on the rise as a player - let’s be honest if he was behind Pedlar and I rate Peds he wouldn’t have had 6-7 clubs chasing him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
People really need to stop taking Rowey seriously.

Surely by now everyone has worked out he is not a fountain of football knowledge & prefers to be a sensationalist clown.

👍

I stand corrected, thanks for posting this.
Yeah Mostyn Is correct that any draft point deficit is likely to impact on our future 3rd. Won't impact on our 1st most importantly.

Having said that, we should have got a later pick back for the ANB as extra cover imo.

Hopefully they're right.
There was no point in getting a 2024 pick back, as we can't take it to the draft. It would have needed to be a 2025 pick.

Clubs can only take as many picks into the draft as they have senior list vacancies. We will only have 2 senior list vacancies, so we would only be able to take 2 picks into the draft.

If we had 4, 46, and 48, we would have to forfeit pick 48, taking only 4 and 46 into the draft.

Getting a 2025 pick back could have been very useful.

On SM-X205 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Happy with that, but it doesn't address the question of what happens if a bid comes in the 2nd round and we don’t have a 2025 2nd round pick for the points to come off. Do they then come off our 1st or 3rd?

On SM-X205 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why can’t you?
Surely matching a bid requires more than 1 pick if the bid is higher?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back