Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I've deleted confirmed information

Rumors from September 30
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumors from October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)

Rumors from October 2-3
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)

Rumors from October 4-5
  • Gettable claiming pick 25 for Neal-Bullen and a future 2nd for Peatling (link)

Rumors from October 6
  • Tom Morris claims we are open to splitting pick 4 (link)

Rumor summary October 8
  • Jon Ralph claims we are not prepared to use a future 2nd on Peatling (link)

Rumor summary October 9
  • Graham Wright will not join Adelaide, instead taking up the Carlton CEO role (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the Peatling trade will involve future 2nd and 3rd round picks, and we have offered him a four year deal at about $600k per season (link)
  • Riley Beveridge claims we asked GWS if they were interested in one of our players in the Peatling trade (link)

Last edited:
I remember that too, but I think most ppl think we were wrong, and now think he did ok with us, and well at Brisbane. He failed as a coach, but that’s not disqualifying for a footy manager position (and the experience probably gives him some insight he wouldn’t otherwise have).
I always thought he was on a pathway to become a CEO

I never really understood his decision to take on the North coaching role

Think he's the CEO of motorsport company based on the Sunshine Coast now

He still ain't worth pick six though
Oils aint oils...

Pick 6 to one club is not worth Pick 6 to another.

Rioli at one club, not the same worth at another club.

Look at what Gold Coast have on their list right now - what they have brought in in the last couple of years - and what the have in the upcoming draft from an academy pov ...

Last edited:
Riley Beveridge, in response to a listener question, seemed to suggest we asked GWS if they'd be interested in any players as part of the Peatling deal. Giants said no, but could be a signal that we're shopping a couple of guys around.
“ do you want Murphy?”

“ go **** yourself Reid”

Oils aint oils...

Pick 6 to one club is not worth Pick 6 to another.

Rioli at one club, not the same worth at another club.

Look at what Gold Coast have on their list right now - what they have brought in in the last couple of years - and what the have in the upcoming draft from an academy pov ...
In fact, you could argue that if they have to overpay to get Rioli in is ok as they have a conveyor belt of top end draftees ia their academy and its getting quality senior players in to compliment that. They are right now in a luxury position.

Strange to see people wishing for David Noble back. I remember him not being very popular around these parts. Maybe I’m misremembering.

Hmm it’s going back a while. I think I remember it being that David Noble was involved in so many things at the club, eventually, as we were no good, he got a little bit of blame for everything until we turned on him.

He was promoted upwards from assistant to list manager to head of football but at the same time we got worse and worse. His reputation was tied to the Neil Craig era.

He still ain't worth pick six though
Battle wasn't contracted and was also an unrestricted free agent...Rioli is contracted to Richmond until 2027.
If the Suns want him they pay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dick Johnson Racing.

I think his trading wasn’t highly regarded while he was here, but it felt like he was covering a lot of different roles at the time.

Outside of that I think his influence was positive, and he certainly helped turn Brisbane around while he was there.
He often had a "overpay to keep trade relations open" method. Like when we paid a future 2nd for Curtly Hampton who the Giants had made clear they wanted to move on because the Giants had academy picks that next draft.

He was also generally pretty shrewd in finding some good value for money in trades with the likes of Jenkins, Tom Lynch, Paul Seedsman etc. Not perfect by any means, but we've had a pretty bad run of guys in the position since he left, so he's gonna look amazing in comparison. Overall the positives outweighed the negatives with him IMO.

How are Richmond not taking this and running? He’s a HBFer and has never been near the AA squad. Houston is worth two first rounders if Richmond think Rioli is worth this; it’s even worse that the Suns are just giving up high picks so easily in yet another off season.

Don't even think he's worth a top 20 pick personally.

Couple of interesting tidbits that I got out of my mate today:
  • The Tauru talk of going to North at pick 2 or even in the top 5 is fantasy nonsense from Twomey, still projected to go in the 8-12 range - North are the most keen on FOS or Lalor (Lalor ahead of FOS if both available), one of those two very likely at North
  • Crows will likely take FOS or Draper, Lalor and Langford unlikely to still be on the board at pick 4
  • Eagles still very very keen on Draper, should get a bit more info on this after the SA combine this weekend

Based on this and previous stuff I've heard, a possible draft order is (excluding Ashcroft):
1. Langford
2. Lalor
3. Draper
4. FOS
5. Smith

Last edited:
According to Olsen, Murray Davis is in that role.

That’s why we looked at supplementing the footy department to free the senior coach up. We’ve talked for a while about bringing an additional person in whether it’s a Neil Balme or Graham Wright or Murray Davis. Were we underdone before? That could be the answer. But when you look at making a change, it takes some time. You can’t snap your fingers and put them in place because people have got other commitments.
No they were looking at Wright for a far more senior role. Effectively would have been 2IC to CEO.

I would look to bring in Balme as a part-time consultant to help with major football operational decisions.

Yeh he was. Ironically I'm not sure Clarko has won any more games than noble did as coach anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back