Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I've deleted confirmed information

Rumors from September 30
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumors from October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)

Rumors from October 2-3
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)

Rumors from October 4-5
  • Gettable claiming pick 25 for Neal-Bullen and a future 2nd for Peatling (link)

Rumors from October 6
  • Tom Morris claims we are open to splitting pick 4 (link)

Rumor summary October 8
  • Jon Ralph claims we are not prepared to use a future 2nd on Peatling (link)

Rumor summary October 9
  • Graham Wright will not join Adelaide, instead taking up the Carlton CEO role (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the Peatling trade will involve future 2nd and 3rd round picks, and we have offered him a four year deal at about $600k per season (link)
  • Riley Beveridge claims we asked GWS if they were interested in one of our players in the Peatling trade (link)

Rumor summary October 10

• Collingwood are interested in Justin Reid as their new head of football (link)
  • GWS want our future 2nd and pick 46 for Peatling (link)

Last edited:
The obvious question is why if Draper is so wonderful why have Essendon given 36 year old Todd Goldstein another contract when they have 22 yo Nick Bryan doing OK in the VFL who they drafted with a relatively high pick 38 back in 2019?

They're averages re Draper vs ROB, if we must target a mature age ruck there has to be other options out there for us taking into account the salary and draft capital it will require because Essendon won't make it easy...that's indeed if he actually wants to head back to SA. If he wasn't a SA product would there be as much interest on this board?
He's a FA next year, which is when we're allegedly planning on getting him - so draft capital is irrelevant.

Having said that, I agree with everything else you've written questioning him.

Ok but are you suggesting he decreases - or puts at risk - his guaranteed 8-10m over the next 6 years (assuming he maintains contract standards)

If so, wouldn’t that be unlikely? What sort of deal are you thinking he may be happy to renegotiate to?
I'm saying pay him the money, but put in clauses, which I don't know all of but would include things like:
  • If he gets three strikes we terminate
  • If he goes into rehab we terminate
  • If he gets arrested we terminate
  • If he plays less than 50 games in the first 5 years we terminate
  • If he doesn't finish top 10 in his first 5 years we terminate
Just these types of things, particularly putting pressure on year 6.

He's a FA next year, which is when we're allegedly planning on getting him - so draft capital is irrelevant.

Having said that, I agree with everything else you've written questioning him.
It is if Essendon match our offer?

Reid has got better as he's gone on

The Gibbs howler plus the long term top dollar deals that have hurt us were all done early days

His more recent stuff (eg Rachele, Soligo) is much better. Has created room for us to recruit plus we're retaining our better younger players.

I'm guessing that we're no longer paying mid-rangers the generous dollars we were previously. Understanding the market better.

I'm saying pay him the money, but put in clauses, which I don't know all of but would include things like:
You think his management would let him sign something like that?

The Gibbs howler plus the long term top dollar deals that have hurt us were all done early days

His more recent stuff (eg Rachele, Soligo) is much better. Has created room for us to recruit plus we're retaining our better younger players.

I'm guessing that we're no longer paying mid-rangers the generous dollars we were previously. Understanding the market better.
Agree - He’s improved alot and learnt on the run since those early days

Can see why other clubs would be looking at him

Meanwhile no one is coming for Hamish , not even his native Tassie with their new team

The question is does shuffling the chairs from list manager to football manager help us if the next list manager isn’t as good

Also who’s to say he will be a good football manager , pies have made bad appointments before
Hasn't the biggest criticism been of Kelly, is that he's not a footy person, he's an administrator .....does Reid have anymore Cred as a footy person ?

Ok thanks for giving it a crack. Personally I think it’s 0% chance Clayton and/or his Player Mgr would accept such strict and risky conditions for a player exhibiting risky behaviour. Could be doing himself out of 6-10m if he did…

So why the focus on year 6?? I am more worried about years 1-5

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hasn't the biggest criticism been of Kelly, is that he's not a footy person, he's an administrator .....does Reid have anymore Cred as a footy person ?
I would think so. Over 20 years in the AFL as both a Player Manager and then List Manager at the crows.

Much different to the more admin background of Kelly isn’t it?

Reid has been our list manager for a decade. That's 10 years in the AFL system.

Kelly had done some horse racing stuff, a bit of WAFL/SANFL but had never been involved in an AFL club when we appointed him as our Head of Football.

I would think so. Over 20 years in the AFL as both a Player Manager and then List Manager at the crows.

Much different to the more admin background of Kelly isn’t it?
Player agent to list manager is a very obvious career progression

Edit - list manager to football manager (which I assume has responsibility for assessing and managing performance of coaches, fitness staff etc) is a much less obvious career progression.

My guess, after they build multiclubs into it, they will end up with Richards, Lukosius and 2 x mid 2024 1sts and would have lost Houston and their F1

So it's:
Out - Houston, Soldo, Dixon, McKenzie and possibly Boak, plus their 2025/1.
In - Lukosius, Richards, picks 13, 23? and a late one for Soldo.

That's a pretty big net loss.

Player agent to list manager is a very obvious career progression

Edit - list manager to football manager (which I assume has responsibility for assessing and managing performance of coaches, fitness staff etc) is a much less obvious career progression.
Fair call but still better credentialed than Kelly IMO, with John Reid’s involvement in the club also for 15 ish years Justin would of been around, or understood, the inner workings of a club relatively more than the average Player Manager

I would add
1. I agree he has gotten better
2. Its time to groom his successor
3. 10 years becomes 15 too quickly

Yep Reid has far more cred knows how afl system works after being a player manager then list manager , knows all the ins and outs and is more street smart
I dont even know why we have Kelly on our books

So it's:
Out - Houston, Soldo, Dixon, McKenzie and possibly Boak, plus their 2025/1.
In - Lukosius, Richards, picks 13, 23? and a late one for Soldo.

That's a pretty big net loss.
Is that the deal? I have not kept right up with it but I would have assumed they were getting enough draft capital to get 2 x mid 2024 1sts (essentially the Houston trade) and their F1 covers off Luko and Richards and maybe a pick in the 30's. Dixon & McKenzie off the list would be a win for them and Boak is nearly 50 so no longer a key player. Its what they could do with those 2 1sts if they get them between say picks 10 & 15 that is the worry in this draft - Travaglia and Tauru or Trainor would be unreal for them :-(

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back