Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I've deleted confirmed information

Rumors from September 30
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumors from October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)

Rumors from October 2-3
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)

Rumors from October 4-5
  • Gettable claiming pick 25 for Neal-Bullen and a future 2nd for Peatling (link)

Rumors from October 6
  • Tom Morris claims we are open to splitting pick 4 (link)

Rumor summary October 8
  • Jon Ralph claims we are not prepared to use a future 2nd on Peatling (link)

Rumor summary October 9
  • Graham Wright will not join Adelaide, instead taking up the Carlton CEO role (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the Peatling trade will involve future 2nd and 3rd round picks, and we have offered him a four year deal at about $600k per season (link)
  • Riley Beveridge claims we asked GWS if they were interested in one of our players in the Peatling trade (link)

Rumor summary October 10

• Collingwood are interested in Justin Reid as their new head of football (link)
  • GWS want our future 2nd and pick 46 for Peatling (link)

Last edited:
By what measure?

By the measure of - our player retention has been as good as ever, especially young kids from interstate.

People also have sure memories.

The camp totally spilt the playing group - there was information being linked to the media and there was a total divide between players, footy department and club administrators.

Yes we can debate whether Nicks is the right head coach but I do believe that we need rj recognise that he has been central in resetting the culture and environment at the club - it just hasn’t translated in to performances.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He changed the on field playing culture. We fight out games a lot more now than what we did probably for the 20 years before that. So many times teams used to get a run on and wed blow a lead and end up losing by 5 goals. Now we may blow a lead but we fight it out.

But culture changes all the time and what was made in 2020-2023 can be easily undone by poor leadership and coaching and id have to say, this year demonstrated perhaps our newly found playing culture can disappear.

Nicks definitely changed our culture. The question is whether he implemented a net improvement. I'm not convinced he did.

Did he?

Culture is not the "feels" it's how your organisation operates in reality. It's what people say about your organisation when you're not in the room.

Id argue our culture has a very long way to go.

Nicks has been friendlier and nicer to the players and they like him as a person and get along.

The culture hasn't moved that much.
I never argued that the culture is the "feels".

I think our club has always been considered very professional but conservative and cold.

We've had issues with staff retention because many haven't felt loyalty to each other and to the shared mission they're on.

I think Nicks has done a lot to change the internal culture. There are no issues with retention, and we seem to be attractive to external players.

I think Nicks has driven a change around prioritising others and the greater good, and the players have largely committed to it. This is DRAMATICALLY different to where we were.

I don't think he survives this year, but I actually think his side of the rebuild has largely been positive.

I think Nicks has done a lot to change the internal culture. There are no issues with retention, and we seem to be attractive to external players.

We still don't know for sure whether this is actually because of a cultural change, or because a poor team typically has more money to spend on acquiring and retaining players

He changed the on field playing culture. We fight out games a lot more now than what we did probably for the 20 years before that. So many times teams used to get a run on and wed blow a lead and end up losing by 5 goals. Now we may blow a lead but we fight it out.

But culture changes all the time and what was made in 2020-2023 can be easily undone by poor leadership and coaching and id have to say, this year demonstrated perhaps our newly found playing culture can disappear.
I can’t think of too many games under Nicks where we’ve had a lead to blow.

I do recall many come backs that invariably fall short.

So his club legend status is only football related, thanks for confirming.

One Grand Final capitulation v a wooden spoon and 7 years without finals, hmm.

Clubs best players got raised, lol, you know he’s on list management and has an influence on players contracts and retention? He’s talked about it on MMM if you’re unsure.

As football director, what’s his area of responsibility?
Why are you asking me question after question when you still haven’t answered my first one?

I have nothing to prove to you, Basement. Your usual tactic of incessantly replying with walls of text and pointless circular arguments will not work with me.

I can’t think of too many games under Nicks where we’ve had a lead to blow.

I do recall many come backs that invariably fall short.

Ive bagged Nicks probably more than anyone. But even I admit he brought in a never say die culture. Opposition clubs know they will have to work to win against us. But that wont last unless it translates to wins.

This more an argument page than a rumour page having to sift through the constant bickering to see what rumours are maybe a seperate page should be started to debate all this stuff instead of having pages of constant bickering

Just a thought

Haha yeah, please go to a separate page for disagreements and arguments.

That's like asking everyone at Adelaide Oval if they're thinking about having an argument to please do it in an organised manner across the road in the park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are you asking me question after question when you still haven’t answered my first one?

I have nothing to prove to you, Basement. Your usual tactic of incessantly replying with walls of text and pointless circular arguments will not work with me.

I dont think he realises that with no evidence he is just as right or wrong as us on this issue.

On Port and trading Houston - all the discussion has been on the actual trade on isolation. But what amazes me is no one is highlighting the actual potential impact of losing Houston

Outside of Butters and JHF. I think Houston is their next important player - he is integral to how they play and move the ball through the corridor.

If I was Port, I would be trying to get him to North, not Collingwood. Why trade with the club that is going to try to have another serious tilt at a flag in 2025?

Houston is a dual AA and at an age where his best footy is still ahead of home - he could possibly win another two AA in the next 4 to 6 years.

Bringing in Luko won’t even go close to covering the loss of Houston which will be compounded again when they lose Bergman.

We still don't know for sure whether this is actually because of a cultural change, or because a poor team typically has more money to spend on acquiring and retaining players
I suspect that it’s the latter.

We’ve also changed our list management strategy, happier to throw money at young players with potential, and on long term deals.

The other thing to bear in mind is that players generally leave as they’re about to enter their prime. Kids usually stay put until they are established, just happy to be on a list. We’re yet to have that tested with this crop.

Plus it didn’t stop McAdam or Doedee from leaving. To be fair it looks like we were happy to let Doedee walk.

This more an argument page than a rumour page having to sift through the constant bickering to see what rumours are maybe a seperate page should be started to debate all this stuff instead of having pages of constant bickering

Just a thought

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Its been a few dead days on the trading side of things. We are all bored. Blame the AFL and lack of any real rumours going on right now.

Its been a few dead days on the trading side of things. We are all bored. Blame the AFL and lack of any real rumours going on right now.
Yep, cabin fever definitely setting in.

On Port and trading Houston - all the discussion has been on the actual trade on isolation. But what amazes me is no one is highlighting the actual potential impact of losing Houston

Outside of Butters and JHF. I think Houston is their next important player - he is integral to how they play and move the ball through the corridor.

If I was Port, I would be trying to get him to North, not Collingwood. Why trade with the club that is going to try to have another serious tilt at a flag in 2025?

Houston is a dual AA and at an age where his best footy is still ahead of home - he could possibly win another two AA in the next 4 to 6 years.

Bringing in Luko won’t even go close to covering the loss of Houston which will be compounded again when they lose Bergman.

He will get to the club of his choice or stay. Ultimately he is contracted. But Port cant tell him to pick one club over another.

We don't know whether it's correlation or causation.

But as you said - we know Nicks changed the culture. And we know that player retention and attraction has significantly improved.

I guess we can't know to what degree they're connected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back