Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • No

Votes: 157 82.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I prefer AFC rumours but this one of Butters leaving PAFC is funny.

That supporter base would self implode I reckon if that happens this year, regardless if it makes sense or not.
He loves Hinkley so it makes sense since he will get the sack end of next year and it's a good draft for midfielders with a few quality KPD in the top end.

I can think of at least 3 regulars i would cut
Regulars from our best 22 or current team? Because we've still got Worrell, pick 5, Curtin, Crouch, Milera, Rankine, Hinge to incorporate into our current team. I'd also like to add Cumming and even Caleb Daniel as depth/Murphy upgrade.

Last edited:
Murphy, Mchenry and Jones have all played 10+ games this year. These are the guys that will start getting pushed out the side if we bring more talent in.
We've been far too slow in edging those types of players out but only one currently sits in our 22 and we've still a number of players to come back. It's not our list that is keeping those players in but the coaches.

We've been far too slow in edging those types of players out but only one currently sits in our 22 and we've still a number of players to come back. It's not our list that is keeping those players in but the coaches.
Bringing someone like Perryman in will displace someone currently in our 22, but then that just improves our depth. We have seen this year how many injuries we have had and we are really testing our depth. If this pushes someone like Dowling, Taylor, Nank out of the team then that just makes competition for spots much tougher and will in turn improve the performance of these guys as they try to get back in to the side. We always have injuries so we never have our best 22 in at any one time.

We are sitting 14th, we need to keep bringing in more talent to keep improving. Easiest way to do this is via FA. We should be aiming to bring in one FA each year that will improve our team in some way.

Bringing someone like Perryman in will displace someone currently in our 22, but then that just improves our depth. We have seen this year how many injuries we have had and we are really testing our depth. If this pushes someone like Dowling, Taylor, Nank out of the team then that just makes competition for spots much tougher and will in turn improve the performance of these guys as they try to get back in to the side. We always have injuries so we never have our best 22 in at any one time.

We are sitting 14th, we need to keep bringing in more talent to keep improving. Easiest way to do this is via FA. We should be aiming to bring in one FA each year that will improve our team in some way.
All of this could be achieved by targeting Cumming instead. My argument is that Perryman should not be in our midfield because it will neither propel us into contention nor improve the development of our young mids (similar to Crouch and Laird). If we are only using him as an outside player, we may as well target Cumming instead, who would be cheaper and a better quality outside player IMO. I don't think we have the space in our 22 for both, nor would it be wise overpaying contracts to secure both.

Surely you can’t see conspiracy there, the rules regarding what contract components are included in the calculations is clear and readily available. It’s stock standard list management to minimise the guaranteed portion, especially over a long term for a player with a considerable injury history. And at least 1 strike. Ultimately they’re only required to present a structure that the player will accept. And they knew we’d washed our hands of him, so once they’d outbid any other suitors, they knew he was theirs.
I dunno - Geelong got their outrageous pick 7 Bowes gift for taking no risk at all, Brisbane did their shonky Daniher deal and then later variation, North got their ridiculous compo for Mackay. Other clubs get their lollies. We don’t.

Regulars from our best 22 or current team? Because we've still got Worrell, pick 5, Curtin, Crouch, Milera, Rankine, Hinge to incorporate into our current team. I'd also like to add Cumming and even Caleb Daniel as depth/Murphy upgrade.

That's the modern game mate. That's why players like Sholl have upped their game this year. As a teams gets more experienced, players get better, but with trade management and free agency clubs are always looking to bring in additional talent. Anyone getting pushed out needs to prove their worth or get left behind. How many players get left on the scrap heap every year who people say 'oh geez he could have been anything...'

As we start to get more games into players you get a feel as to whether they have that potential to stand out, or whether they're middling. Gollant is a good example. Given plenty of opportunities, but adios amigo.

I personally think next year will be a significant clear out, I reckon we have a huge glut of the MID/FWD types.

If Port trade him, they’ll realize how reliant they are on him. I rate Houston close to their best player and best in the comp in his role.
Also not as unlikeable as most of their players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Boak, especially when he keeps missing goals. He kicked his first one on the weekend after something like 0.14
Missed a soda late in a Showdown which ultimately cost them the game, when Dawson kicked the miracle after the siren.

All of this could be achieved by targeting Cumming instead. My argument is that Perryman should not be in our midfield because it will neither propel us into contention nor improve the development of our young mids (similar to Crouch and Laird). If we are only using him as an outside player, we may as well target Cumming instead, who would be cheaper and a better quality outside player IMO. I don't think we have the space in our 22 for both, nor would it be wise overpaying contracts to secure both.
I hope we are chasing Cumming too, either one would be a good addition and would improve our side.

The young powa players have had enough of Butters going ape shit at them on the field but they wont say anything because Kern loves Butters so much.

Finlayson is the only one who has stood up to him. It's well known that Finlayson & Butters can't stand each other .
If you're Butters and Finlayson has a go at you, just say "2019 GF". Argument won.

If Port trade him, they’ll realize how reliant they are on him. I rate Houston close to their best player and best in the comp in his role.
He becomes a liability when the chips are down. Still need to have the ability to defend/stand up when things aren't going your way. Very good at what he does with ball in hand, granted. They're not short on good ball users who could play that role - Burgoyne, Farrell for example.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back