Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 29 16.0%
  • No

Votes: 152 84.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I accept that we should always be looking to improve our list during trade week. But I don’t accept that our crud year is due to not having brought in further depth in behind Murray, Dood, McAdams role and Schoey.
I wonder if we get wedded to a player type that we think is gettable and narrow our focus ie Petty

Still seems to be mentioned in despataches when even my grandma can see he has gone backwards at the same time we have developed a good core 4 backs

Are we wedded to our own guff when we say '' we will land a big fish'' which leaves Reid and co scrambling which has the follow on effect of overpaying and losing potential draft stars

Last edited:

I wonder if we get wedded to a player type that we think is gettable and narrow our focus ie Petty

Still seems to be mentioned in despataches when even my grandma can see he has gone backwards at the same time we have developed a good core 4 backs

Are we wedded to our own guff when we say '' we will land a big fish'' which leaves Reid and co scrambling which has the follow on effect of overpaying and losing potential draft stars
It's all part of Nicks deflection campaign,
Telling Silvers the list is no good, putting pressure on Hamish and Reid to do something, anything.
If Nicks had a better development program and coaching ability, I'm sure our list would be looking better.
But Silvers cant see the forest for the trees

If Nicks had a better development program and coaching ability, I'm sure our list would be looking better.
But Silvers cant see the forest for the trees
That was going to part of my reply that we dont have enough football people sitting down over a few beers and talking football

Its part of this football culture we sometimes lack - yes I know its old school - but taking a couple of slabs into a changeroom with 4-5 of the wiser heads at a footy club and you can solve world peace let alone list management and how you want to move forward

Narrow focus sounds like us. Remember the old, 'needed to get the deal done to move onto others'.

That was going to part of my reply that we dont have enough football people sitting down over a few beers and talking football

Its part of this football culture we sometimes lack - yes I know its old school - but taking a couple of slabs into a changeroom with 4-5 of the wiser heads at a footy club and you can solve world peace let alone list management and how you want to move forward
I've always found it strange that past players can normally only get a job in the industry when they have retired as coaches, not really getting into the administration side of a club.

As you say, getting footy people in the management side of the business sounds pretty straight forward and it's surprising it doesn't happen more often.

I feel some sacked coaches would make good football operation managers as they understand what is required at all levels of a footy club.

I've always found it strange that past players can normally only get a job in the industry when they have retired as coaches, not really getting into the administration side of a club.

As you say, getting footy people in the management side of the business sounds pretty straight forward and it's surprising it doesn't happen more often.

I feel some sacked coaches would make good football operation managers as they understand what is required at all levels of a footy club.
There are no shortage of ex-footballers in management positions in AFL clubs, but it's not surprising that there aren't as many of them as there are in coaching positions.

Going into management requires having done a certain amount of training & education, and having gained experience in these roles. There are some footballers who have the intelligence and desire to do so, but a lot of them really are athletes who never put much effort into anything requiring intellect. Moving into coaching is a natural career progression, whereas management requires them to change stream - something which fewer players are willing or able to achieve.

You ain't getting a game breaker for 850k.. you're paying over a mill these days
Exactly and that's where we should be targeting, we don't need more foot soldiers we need top line talent to compliment our foot soldiers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which ones are gettable that want to come to Adelaide? And you don’t think we’ve tried?
So we should afford midfield space and a spot in the 22 to developing a top-liner (Curtin, pick 5, etc). Perryman shouldn’t be playing midfield for us. And if he’s playing wing/half back for us, why not just go for Cumming who is cheaper and a natural outside player?

There are no shortage of ex-footballers in management positions in AFL clubs, but it's not surprising that there aren't as many of them as there are in coaching positions.

Going into management requires having done a certain amount of training & education, and having gained experience in these roles. There are some footballers who have the intelligence and desire to do so, but a lot of them really are athletes who never put much effort into anything requiring intellect. Moving into coaching is a natural career progression, whereas management requires them to change stream - something which fewer players are willing or able to achieve.
I still think experience in an afl environment would be critical in an administative or management role at a afl club
I'm not sure the guys we have in those important roles are showing a lot of intellect, they look clearly out of their depth

I hope at least with all our cash we are making over the top offers to unsigned Chad Warner and LDU.
Whilst our prospects of landing either are minimal or next to nothing we need to keep the WA clubs and North honest.
If we do land one for an extra $1m over 6 or 7 years so be it.

I still think experience in an afl environment would be critical in an administative or management role at a afl club
I'm not sure the guys we have in those important roles are showing a lot of intellect, they look clearly out of their depth
Yes, but experience in an AFL environment does not mean being an ex-player.

I don't need to tell you that, you already know, shaking them loose is the problem especially with interstate lads, Victorian's especially.
And that’s the issue, so why do you continue to raise it as a preference over getting someone like Perryman? We all would want that and including the club, clearly we are struggling to and always have unless we’ve got a expat wanting to come home

Brad’s contract only ever ended up around the $600k-$650k mark though. Wasn’t it band 3 in the end? If the talk was that he was going to get $850k-$900k then you could claim reporting bias.

The original deal was $4m over 5 years. But the Aints were 'encouraged' to restructure the deal to include a back-ended trigger. Triggers are not part of the formula.

Butters is dressing room cancer?

I live interstate so haven’t heard any of this. What’s the goss?
The young powa players have had enough of Butters going ape shit at them on the field but they wont say anything because Kern loves Butters so much.

Finlayson is the only one who has stood up to him. It's well known that Finlayson & Butters can't stand each other .

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back