Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 159 82.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide heavily chasing Philipou New
I don’t post much and wouldn’t normally post if I didn’t think there would be some truth to it, but I heard from a pretty good source today we are having a massive crack at Phillipou as he isn’t feeling Ross the Boss. I also realise this has been floated a bit but, yeah could actually be a chance apparently.

I don’t post much and wouldn’t normally post if I didn’t think there would be some truth to it, but I heard from a pretty good source today we are having a massive crack at Phillipou as he isn’t feeling Ross the Boss. I also realise this has been floated a bit but, yeah could actually be a chance apparently.

The trading of picks 2 years in advance is huge.

We are traditionally a club that makes 1 decent move, if any, per year so it's not likely, but an off-season of this would be doable with some creative thinking.

Pick 4 - Lalor/Langford
Pick (Melbourne 2nd) - ?
Pick - Welsh
Rookie - ?
Future 1st - Phillipou
Future 2nd - Luko
Future Future 2nd - phillipou

Plus we would have the Berry pick likely to use if needed. Not sure how this would impact salary cap

Last edited:
Didn’t he re-sign until ‘26 this year?

Probably a chance of happening in two off-seasons time, but realistically I can’t see it until then

Have never taken any notice of ANB, is he any good? Last thing we want is players nominating us who we don’t want.
I've often wondered about that side of things. I presume when players straight up nominate a team, a deal is already agreed to in principle with that team. It'd be great to see someone nominate Hawthorn and the Hawks be like "Thanks... but no thanks."

Makes it trickier too I suppose coming back to SA, WA, Qld, etc. If you don't care where you go you only have the two options, and hopefully one is interested. His age profile probably isn't really right for either of us unless he came at a bargain basement price.

Can't get past the paywall, but sounds like ANB wants to come home. Will probably be worked into the Houston deal for the Power.

# Snr players meeting with Luko reported now also?

Premiership Demon to request trade
By Marc McGowan and Peter Ryan
August 13, 2024 — 7.00pm

Melbourne premiership player Alex Neal-Bullen has told the club he would like to return to South Australia at season’s end for family reasons.

His request is not related to any concerns about the club’s direction but based on the new father’s desire to be closer to family.

Alex Neal-Bullen has been a strong contributor for Melbourne.
Alex Neal-Bullen has been a strong contributor for Melbourne.CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES
This masthead confirmed with two industry sources, who wanted to remain anonymous, that the 28-year-old, who has two years remaining on his contract, had made the request several weeks ago.

The Crows are understood to be aware of his desire to return to South Australia but have left the matter for Melbourne to work through. Port Adelaide are focused on securing free agents and retaining draft picks.

The news will come as a blow to the Demons, who released a statement on Tuesday following reports that Christian Petracca was disillusioned with the club’s direction saying the star midfielder was certain to remain with the club until at least the end of 2029.

Chief executive Gary Pert revealed they were engaging with players, coaches and staff to review the club’s football operations after a disappointing 2024. The Demons were contacted for comment.

The Crows are already targeting Gold Coast playmaker Jack Lukosius, two years after they lured fellow South Australian and draft peer Izak Rankine from the Suns.

Advertisement

Adelaide unsuccessfully pursued Neal-Bullen’s teammate, swingman Harry Petty, who is also from SA, in last year’s trade period. Petty recently re-signed with the Demons.

Neal-Bullen, who has taken on a bigger midfield role in Petracca’s absence through injury, played in Melbourne’s 2021 premiership and is rated highly internally. He signed a three-year deal in April last year.

On Lukosius, the wheels are in motion, with Crows coach Matthew Nicks and senior players travelling to Queensland to meet him.

There have been murmurs about Lukosius for much of the season, but they grew louder even before first-year Suns coach Damien Hardwick dropped him to the VFL last week. After kicking a career-best 39 goals and settling into a forward role last year, Hardwick has deployed Lukosius at both ends and on the wing this season.

The Crows are attempting to convince Jack Lukosius to return to South Australia
The Crows are attempting to convince Jack Lukosius to return to South AustraliaCREDIT: GETTY IMAGES
That positional uncertainty appears to have played a role in Lukosius embracing the Crows’ interest in him.

If he does get to Adelaide, the 24-year-old would join an attack that already boasts promising key forwards Darcy Fogarty and Riley Thilthorpe, plus livewires Rankine and Josh Rachele.

Gold Coast hope to trade in Tiger Daniel Rioli, who is contracted through the 2027 season, so offloading Lukosius would deliver them a high-quality pick to use as a bargaining chip and create much-needed salary cap space.

Rival clubs have consistently said the silky-skilled Lukosius is “gettable”, although the Suns – who are not commenting publicly on the situation – do not necessarily agree with that perspective.

This masthead also contacted Lukosius’ agent, Ben Williams, of Players Ink.

Play Video

Caro reveals AFL's 'elephant in the room' at Hall of Fame
Play video
1:57
Caro reveals AFL's 'elephant in the room' at Hall of Fame

Caroline Wilson says the AFL is disappointed that St Kilda great Nick Reiwoldt's absence at the Australian Football Hall of Fame.
Lukosius and Rankine were the respective second and third picks in the so-called super draft in 2018, in a top 10 headlined by No.1 Sam Walsh and including the King twins – Max and Ben – dual All-Australian Connor Rozee, Bailey Smith and Nick Blakey.

There was immediate speculation at the time that the Crows would try to bring both young stars back at some stage, which looks a reality.

The difference when Adelaide traded for Rankine – in a convoluted deal that centred on them handing over pick five – was that he was out of contract, whereas Lukosius has two years to run on a lucrative four-year pact he signed in mid-2022.

The Crows have increasingly focused their recruiting efforts on home-grown talent, given the disadvantage of competing with Victorian clubs, but they did make a major play for Errol Gulden and inquired about Hugh McCluggage. They are also making progress in talks to retain Victorian midfielder Sam Berry.

Adelaide’s other recruiting coup in recent years was another South Australian, ex-Swan Jordan Dawson, whom they swapped a late first-round pick for in the 2021 trade period. He is the Crows’ captain.

Dawson and Rankine have become arguably Adelaide’s two best players, and Lukosius would be an ideal fit with the club’s age profile as it aims for finals next season.

The Suns, via their academy, are also keen to have as many Queenslanders as possible, with Jed Walter, Connor Budarick, Alex Davies, Alex Sexton, Will Graham, Jake Rogers, Bodhi Uwland and Lachie Weller all featuring in their one-point win over Essendon on Saturday night.

In-form Giant on trade watch
James Peatling’s purple patch of form in the past month has not gone unnoticed, with St Kilda showing interest in the out-of-contract Greater Western Sydney midfielder.

I don't really see the point in ANB, clearly haven't really focused on him when I've watched Melbourne and not the type that's really stood out when watching them. Doesn't seem like a target for us, more someone that could fall in our lap. For me with the age profile, not that keen on giving up anything much asset wise.

Not only that, he addresses a position of genuine need at half forward, where we have tried and failed with Murphy and McHenry.

It frees both of Rankine and Rachele up for more midfield time, and replaces Murphy in the 22.

Would absolutely trade for him.

Perhaps an “out: Berry plus future 3rd, in: ANB” type 3 way trade might work (with the Pies taking Berry and sending something to Melbourne).

I distinctly remember us being linked to ANB in a past year (maybe the 2022 offseason) by a reliable poster too. Clearly been tracking him for a long time.

Genuinely good half forwards are few and far between. Not concerned about the age at all - we have a young list, need experienced players who are actually good and he’s got 4-5 years left in him. Go and get him.

ANB isn’t really a big goal kicker, which is what need to allow Rankine and Rachele to play more midfield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've often wondered about that side of things. I presume when players straight up nominate a team, a deal is already agreed to in principle with that team. It'd be great to see someone nominate Hawthorn and the Hawks be like "Thanks... but no thanks."

Makes it trickier too I suppose coming back to SA, WA, Qld, etc. If you don't care where you go you only have the two options, and hopefully one is interested. His age profile probably isn't really right for either of us unless he came at a bargain basement price.

I always remember Xavier Richards who rejected an offer from Sydney , couldn’t get any takers in the trade period and got delisted.

The trading of picks 2 years in advance is huge.

We are traditionally a club that makes 1 decent move, if any, per year so it's not likely, but an off-season of this would be doable with some creative thinking.

Pick 4 - Lalor/Langford
Pick (Melbourne 2nd) - ?
Pick - Welsh
Rookie - ?
Future 1st - Phillipou
Future 2nd - Luko
Future Future 2nd - phillipou

Plus we would have the Berry pick likely to use if needed. Not sure how this would impact salary cap

If Phillipou is coming in I don't see how we retain pick 4... but I'm not sure I care.

4Phillipou
F2Lukosius
BerryNeal-Bullen
-Cumming (FA)
Trade 28+42 for 20 (GC)Dodson (20)

If Phillipou is coming in I don't see how we retain pick 4... but I'm not sure I care.

4Phillipou
F2Lukosius
BerryNeal-Bullen
-Cumming (FA)
Trade 28+42 for 20 (GC)Dodson (20)

Lets see what happens. With the trading of futures picks two years in advance now, it helps massively. We can probably afford to trade our future firsts as we are a young list where as some sides will be desperate for draft picks to replenish their youth.

I have only heard Philipou to Port though. I think Luko, ANB are definitely coming to us now. Add in Welsh. I hear cumming alot but not sure how definite that is.

Lets see what happens. With the trading of futures picks two years in advance now, it helps massively. We can probably afford to trade our future firsts as we are a young list where as some sides will be desperate for draft picks to replenish their youth.

I have only heard Philipou to Port though. I think Luko, ANB are definitely coming to us now. Add in Welsh. I hear cumming alot but not sure how definite that is.
We can't trade 2 years future picks until next year. Only 2024/2025 picks this year.

Regarding Luko … best case scenario for Gold Coast is he leaves. They need his salary off the books if they want to pursue proposed trade targets. So they need this trade to happen!
F2 gets it done! We take on his salary, free them up in the process to get Rioli, extend Andrew etc.
We are doing exactly what they need
We then reshape his contract , give him an extra year but smooth out the payments. Then renegotiate when his next contract is due

2024 first - Draper
2024 Melb 2nd - ANB
2025 2nd - Lukosius
2024 Berry trade + 2025 First - Philipou
Trade 28+42 for 20 (GC) - Dodson (20)
2024 Bundle of whatever we have left or can get or late 2025 - Welsh
2024 FA - Cumming

Everyone who is out of contact is gone, to make space.

Happy take offers for (or simply unload some of ) Borlase, Burgess, Crouch, Cook, Gollant, Hamill, Himmelberg, Jones, Laird, McHenry, Murphy, Parnell, Pedlar, Schoenberg, Smith, Strachan and perhaps Taylor, Bond, Keane or Nankervis

2024 first - Draper
2024 Melb 2nd - ANB
2025 2nd - Lukosius
2024 Berry trade + 2025 First - Philipou
Trade 28+42 for 20 (GC) - Dodson (20)
2024 Bundle of whatever we have left or can get or late 2025 - Welsh
2024 FA - Cumming

Everyone who is out of contact is gone, to make space.

Happy take offers for (or simply unload some of ) Borlase, Burgess, Crouch, Cook, Gollant, Hamill, Himmelberg, Jones, Laird, McHenry, Murphy, Parnell, Pedlar, Schoenberg, Smith, Strachan and perhaps Taylor, Bond, Keane or Nankervis
Am I correct in the understanding we're not allowed to trade Melb's pick back to Melb?

We can't trade 2 years future picks until next year. Only 2024/2025 picks this year.

Thats not what I heard. All those changes were for this upcoming year. Same with the FS. Hey, Im happy to be proven wrong though. Not fussed either way. But being its a strong draft this year id trade out futures to get the job done. We need mids and well its not like we can put that off until next year. What if we finish 6th. Thats a pick out of the top 10. So I think this is probably the most important year in a long time to get as much talent into the club as possible.

Thats not what I heard. All those changes were for this upcoming year. Same with the FS. Hey, Im happy to be proven wrong though. Not fussed either way. But being its a strong draft this year id trade out futures to get the job done. We need mids and well its not like we can put that off until next year. What if we finish 6th. Thats a pick out of the top 10. So I think this is probably the most important year in a long time to get as much talent into the club as possible.
1723568341491.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back