Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 161 82.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He did win the AFL media association top journo last year, broke the Hardwick story. Is well connected, and apparently good mates with Nick Gieschen
If we don't have massive salary space then I really don't know how we will ever get out of the bottom 4 or 5.

Well, why was there an AFL investigation when Malthouse complained that we had approached Betts before acceptances?
Trigg used the words that Betts had been "stitched up" by Adelaide while in the final year of his contract at Carlton.

Insinuating that he'd already signed a deal (or an intention to sign) which I gather is a no no.

Didn't turn out to be true. Overexaggeration from Trigg to reassure Malthouse that Betts hadn't left because he was coming.

Trigg used the words that Betts had been "stitched up" by Adelaide while in the final year of his contract at Carlton.

Insinuating that he'd already signed a deal (or an intention to sign) which I gather is a no no.

Didn't turn out to be true. Overexaggeration from Trigg to reassure Malthouse that Betts hadn't left because he was coming.
Didnt Betts go on to say that he would have stayed at the Blues if they offered him the same contract?

They were never coming, but its always good to make these offers so the Club they are wanting to go to, pays maximum dollars.
Still hope for Cummings... but missed out on the others.

Being bottom 4 makes it harder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, why was there an AFL investigation when Malthouse complained that we had approached Betts before acceptances?

And what was the outcome? Trigg said we had the deal stitched up months prior, investigated and nothing to see. Trigg was being a stain too, Betts was still trying to stay right up until the last minute.

If we don't have massive salary space then I really don't know how we will ever get out of the bottom 4 or 5.
There's a few players with longer contracts that are probably back loaded that are going to eat up more cap space as time goes on. And Rankine and Dawson would be on decent money now.

Given that next year is the last on Rankine's current deal. I suspect the club set up the squad with the idea that there'd be a premiership shot by next year

There's a few players with longer contracts that are probably back loaded that are going to eat up more cap space as time goes on. And Rankine and Dawson would be on decent money now.

Given that next year is the last on Rankine's current deal. I suspect the club set up the squad with the idea that there'd be a premiership shot by next year
We wont be competing for a flag till at least the end of this decade.

We wont be competing for a flag till at least the end of this decade.
No argument here. At least not without a change in coach/management.

But that's where the money/cap space has gone.

They've still got another year of Milera's contract too. Which I assume will be the most expensive year. Actually he extended in 2020, so maybe it was front-loaded

And what was the outcome? Trigg said we had the deal stitched up months prior, investigated and nothing to see. Trigg was being a stain too, Betts was still trying to stay right up until the last minute.

I think the main problem was Malthouse used the words in the media "signed up". This was his old man speak from 70's meaning that they had 'lost' Betts who had agreed to go to the Crows. Then the AFL needed to investigate to see if Betts and us had actually signed anything (or sent an email! :rolleyes:).
Quite sure it was only $50k - they only offered 450 (and refused to budge) to our 500. Fancy Carlton running out of brown paper bags!

We should have no backloaded contracts.

Still hope for Cummings... but missed out on the others.

Being bottom 4 makes it harder.
I don't quite understand all the Isaac Cumming love on this board, he really is nothing special IMO...and now he's having recurring soft tissue issues even less so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back