Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 36 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 163 81.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Got told yesterday from a trusted source, Brodie Smith wants to retire at the end of this year.. however the club is pushing him to keep playing next year because of a lack of leadership and senior players within the group. šŸ˜

Got told yesterday from a trusted source, Brodie Smith wants to retire at the end of this year.. however the club is pushing him to keep playing next year because of a lack of leadership and senior players within the group. šŸ˜

That is damning but not surprising. Watch that game against Hawthorn at the G, Smith is more cooked than the Christmas Turkey. Dylan Moore tore him to shreds.

At the absolute most he should retire but be a playing/development coach in the SANFL side like Wrighty did.

Got told yesterday from a trusted source, Brodie Smith wants to retire at the end of this year.. however the club is pushing him to keep playing next year because of a lack of leadership and senior players within the group.
You would think it would be the other way around.

Especially after he got dropped and had a sook about the reaction from supporters.

He seems self entitled.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We tried to keep David McKay too

Let's face it it was Eddie Betts and his partner Anna Scullie that were keeping Tyson on the straight and narrow and it's no coincidence since he's shifted to Victoria they again have a big presence in his life.
Which surely highlights a player welfare issue

We're unable to support players who have off field issues. We're lucky that Mrs Betts did it for us for a while

And it's cost us one good player

To be honest, I kinda judge coaches who show up to pressers with a 2-3 day beard growth going on. Just looks sloppy. Ben Hart used to do it all the time, Nicks turned up this week with the same thing.

Some of us can actually present well with that look and think it helps if it is predominantly one colour not the salt and pepper look. Some of us can also grow a good beard whilst others look shocking with one.

No wonder we're ****ed if the sort of leadership we want to keep around is Brodie Smith

He can provide leadership in the SANFL as captain especially since Boyle is shit.

Which surely highlights a player welfare issue

We're unable to support players who have off field issues. We're lucky that Mrs Betts did it for us for a while

And it's cost us one good player
So we should employ a wet nurse to be with them 24/7 yeah OK.

Maybe the player should take some responsibility for their own off field actions and welfare too.

Now Geelong the only AFL club that was prepared to give him another shot at AFL it seems may lose him to the highest bidder....I'd be certain they would be offering a fair deal but this is the thanks they get?

There are many more ways to retain him if they want his leadership

I struggle to see this as valid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is damning but not surprising. Watch that game against Hawthorn at the G, Smith is more cooked than the Christmas Turkey. Dylan Moore tore him to shreds.

At the absolute most he should retire but be a playing/development coach in the SANFL side like Wrighty did.

You can rest assured it's currently making up a large % as to why Murphy keeps getting selected. Experience

Is this the same source that was adamant about Oliver and Petty getting traded to us last year? I only ask as this info goes against a lot of other rumours coming out about Brodie in recent weeks.

You can rest assured it's currently making up a large % as to why Murphy keeps getting selected. Experience
Experience is something which is massively lacking from our current team. Of the 12 teams which played this weekend (the other 6 had byes), only 2 averaged less than 90 games per player - North, with 79.0, and Adelaide with a pitiful 63.7. Brisbane (126.9) and Sydney (121.7) had almost twice as much experience as Adelaide.

Adelaide had 4 players with 100+ games experience (Laird, Keays, Murphy and Dawson); Sydney had 12, including 4 players with 200+ games.

Teams averaging just 63 games per player generally don't win many matches.

Experience is something which is massively lacking from our current team. Of the 12 teams which played this weekend (the other 6 had byes), only 2 averaged less than 90 games per player - North, with 79.0, and Adelaide with a pitiful 63.7. Brisbane (126.9) and Sydney (121.7) had almost twice as much experience as Adelaide.

Adelaide had 4 players with 100+ games experience (Laird, Keays, Murphy and Dawson); Sydney had 12, including 4 players with 200+ games.

Teams averaging just 63 games per player generally don't win many matches.
Now do one with how long players have been on lists

I would say equating experience to leadership is a mistake we need to stop making too.
As a general rule, poor players get weeded out before they play enough games to become "experienced", so under normal circumstances there is a correlation between experience and leadership.

However, with Adelaide's dearth of talent in the 50-150 game band, the correlation is clearly broken. Adelaide's current list demographics are a loooong way from being "normal".

So we should employ a wet nurse to be with them 24/7 yeah OK.

Maybe the player should take some responsibility for their own off field actions and welfare too.

Now Geelong the only AFL club that was prepared to give him another shot at AFL it seems may lose him to the highest bidder....I'd be certain they would be offering a fair deal but this is the thanks they get?
Maybe we should be a professionally run outfit

Now do one with how long players have been on lists
Feel free to do that yourself. I'm just going off the readily available stats on Footywire. What you're asking requires a LOT more research, or writing queries to a database to which I don't have access.

What I can tell you is that the team which played against Sydney was the youngest of the round, by a looong way. Adelaide's team averaged 24 yrs 0 mths. The next youngest was Norf, at 24 yrs 9 mths. No other team was under 25yrs. Brisbane, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs and Collingwood all averaged at least 26 yrs.

The average age suggests that the problem isn't how long players are spending in the SANFL. Our team was simply younger & less experienced than everyone else.

Given that we currently have the 5th youngest list, and several of our oldest players are either injured (Walker), retired (Sloane), or omitted due to form (ROB & Smith), it's no great surprise that our current team is massively young & inexperienced.

yet, wasnt she the reason Charlie left?
Depends what you mean

My theory at the time was that Charlie's girlfriend didn't like Mrs Betts seemingly being in charge / mothering eg chopping up veggies and hiding it in Charlie's food so that he'd eat them

But it was us who let him walk while under contract
And us who signed Jenkins, Lynch, Sloane, Jacobs et al on top dollar contracts allowing no room to retain Charlie, Gov, Lever

Feel free to do that yourself. I'm just going off the readily available stats on Footywire. What you're asking requires a LOT more research, or writing queries to a database to which I don't have access.

What I can tell you is that the team which played against Sydney was the youngest of the round, by a looong way. Adelaide's team averaged 24 yrs 0 mths. The next youngest was Norf, at 24 yrs 9 mths. No other team was under 25yrs. Brisbane, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs and Collingwood all averaged at least 26 yrs.

The average age suggests that the problem isn't how long players are spending in the SANFL. Our team was simply younger & less experienced than everyone else.

Given that we currently have the 5th youngest list, and several of our oldest players are either injured (Walker), retired (Sloane), or omitted due to form (ROB & Smith), it's no great surprise that our current team is massively young & inexperienced.
We were older than Hawthorn and still got pantsed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back