Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 159 82.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this the same source that was adamant about Oliver and Petty getting traded to us last year? I only ask as this info goes against a lot of other rumours coming out about Brodie in recent weeks.
Said poster has a poor strike rate with intel IIRC

You would think it would be the other way around.

Especially after he got dropped and had a sook about the reaction from supporters.

He seems self entitled.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Maybe that is why he has starting sooking it up. We have been telling him all year how important he is to the team and we need his leadership out there. And then we go and drop him to the SANFL and he starts getting slammed by fans. Seems to be the coaching group are giving him mixed messaging about his role and performance.

Maybe that is why he has starting sooking it up. We have been telling him all year how important he is to the team and we need his leadership out there. And then we go and drop him to the SANFL and he starts getting slammed by fans. Seems to be the coaching group are giving him mixed messaging about his role and performance.
Here's the thing... both are actually true. His experience & leadership ARE massively important - but that only remains the case while he's performing to an acceptable standard, which hasn't been the case recently.

Rachele was the most AFL-ready player we’ve drafted in years. Built like a brick shithouse. His very first AFL game was his best to this day.

Nothing to do with development. Everything to do with coaching, and potentially attitude.
Nah, hardly played 20 games of footy in his last 2 junior years, because of COVID. He was a fair way off AFL ready.

it has to be quality not quantity - the right type of people who have tasted success, know how to lead on field and will be respected by team mates.

I never understood why we went after Burgess when there were boys in the draft that were equally as good or had more potential in the long term.
Our thinking was correct our identification was poor

We looked at his games played and age - which is fine - we just got the wrong guy

My secondary point was why was Burgess the ONLY player we could pry free? Did we try as hard as we should have or did people reject our approaches

We looked at his games played and age - which is fine - we just got the wrong guy

My secondary point was why was Burgess the ONLY player we could pry free? Did we try as hard as we should have or did people reject our approaches
To put it bluntly, there are only 2 types of player who want to move to Adelaide (the city, not the club):
  • Gun players with existing ties to SA (e.g. Rankine, Dawson).
  • Journeymen who hope moving to an SA club might give them more opportunities.
There are no examples of gun players without SA ties moving to Adelaide.

If you thought we got it wrong with Burgess, who do you think we could/should have got - noting the qualifications above. We didn't get him because of "his games played and age", we got him because we identified a need and he was a player who appeared capable of meeting that need.

To put it bluntly, there are only 2 types of player who want to move to Adelaide (the city, not the club):

If you thought we got it wrong with Burgess, who do you think we could/should have got - noting the qualifications above. We didn't get him because of "his games played and age", we got him because we identified a need and he was a player who appeared capable of meeting that need.
Elijah Hollands?

Probably unofficially part of the pick 14 trade with GCS.

Paddy Ryder was a gun.

I will grant you the Essendon drug scandal probably played into that.

Chol?

Having said that Burgess was a lot cheaper and was always recruited as depth. Which has been tested.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard our approach to one young gun midfielder did not go down well.

Go on

It is a rumour thread after all
He was open to a return to SA but our sales pitch wasn't great. He was closer to going to Port after they offered more $$ and midfield time but they didn't have any draft currency after the JHF trade.

Will this do for starters?

Dan Curtin captained the Claremont Colts to their Premiership
Charlie Edwards was a school captain at Melbourne Grammar (Perry House)
Max Michalanney Co-captain SA U18's
Jake Soligo captained the Eastern Ranges
Hugh Bond captained the GWV Rebels.
Fischer McAsey captained Caulfield Grammar in the APS school comp.
Chayce Jones captained both the Tassie Mariners and the Allies at the Nationals
Ronin OÇonnor captain Claremont Colts
Jordan Gallucci captained the Eastern Ranges and Co-Captained Vic Metro
Luke Pedlar captained Prince Alfred College

That list really fell away after Soligo

First Half GIF

Here's the thing... both are actually true. His experience & leadership ARE massively important - but that only remains the case while he's performing to an acceptable standard, which hasn't been the case recently.
Yes agreed. Apart from Dawson we have a massive gap in our leadership options.

With Smith, If he is in the head space where he wants to retire at the end of the year, and the coaching group has then convinced him to play on as he is so importantto us then you can understand why he would be upset he has now been dropped.

Got told yesterday from a trusted source, Brodie Smith wants to retire at the end of this year.. however the club is pushing him to keep playing next year because of a lack of leadership and senior players within the group. 😐
Does this mean that Caleb Daniel doesn't want to come home?

He was open to a return to SA but our sales pitch wasn't great. He was closer to going to Port after they offered more $$ and midfield time but they didn't have any draft currency after the JHF trade.
Are you talking about Jack Graham? If yes, I don't see what he's adding to our midfield, we have enough slow inside mids with average foot skills. I would rather just keep Crouch and invest more midfield time into our first pick this year along with Dowling, Taylor and Edwards (hopefully Pedlar too).

Yes agreed. Apart from Dawson we have a massive gap in our leadership options.

With Smith, If he is in the head space where he wants to retire at the end of the year, and the coaching group has then convinced him to play on as he is so importantto us then you can understand why he would be upset he has now been dropped.
There isn't a massive gap, but this club keeps backing in honest triers rather than our actual talent for leadership positions. MM and Murray definitely have leadership qualities, so why can't it just be Dawson (C), Murray (VC) and MM (deputy VC) in the leadership group next year? Fog would be borderline.

Are you talking about Jack Graham? If yes, I don't see what he's adding to our midfield, we have enough slow inside mids with average foot skills. I would rather just keep Crouch and invest more midfield time into our first pick this year along with Dowling, Taylor and Edwards (hopefully Pedlar too).
No, not him.

Someone younger and better.

We moved on to Redman after he re-signed fairly early on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back