Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 159 82.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The question we need to ask is getting Luko, Rosas, ANB and Cumming going to make us worse or better next year. If we are losing Parnell, McHenry, Gollant and Sloane to accommodate, then hell yes, they make us better - substantially I would think. It costs us our F1, I am ok with that as it still allows us a top end mid in the draft and maybe another at 27 along with Welsh - providing we can fit them all in
It's a great haul but there is tricky aspect to doing all this.

By inserting experience, we either must drop 4-5 youngsters out of our best 22. Or replace the older guys with these players. And we won't do that because Tex is so close to his 300 or Lairdy is a triple club champ you know or Milera has worked so hard and deserves the opportunity..etc etc.
So it will be the Taylor, Bond, Dowling, Nankervis, Pedlar, Curtin types who will given minimal opportunities. If this happens, we've completely destroyed the work of the recent past in building a young team to develop. We will have wasted our time...and possibly careers.

That trade haul will make us a better team in 2025, but maybe not after that. Those kids are going to be alright. I'm sure of it. But we have time and we must give it to them. Not some import sugar hit.

I feel that ANB replacing Murph improves us immediately. Draper adds to our midfield and improves us immediately. Dodson improves us somewhat next year. But these are better outcomes long-term.

Smith is out. Milera replaces Laird. Curtin replaces Tex.
...and hopefully, Pedlar can dislodge Crouch oneday.

It's important to stay focused on the main goal of the period and only once that's achieved, can you look at opportunities as they arise.

Draper with pick 4 or a very significant mid for pick 4 must be the focus. We have other holes for sure, but that's the focus of the next few months.

By inserting experience, we either must drop 4-5 youngsters out of our best 22. Or replace the older guys with these players. And we won't do that because Tex is so close to his 300 or Lairdy is a triple club champ you know or Milera has worked so hard and deserves the opportunity..etc etc.
So it will be the Taylor, Bond, Dowling, Nankervis, Pedlar, Curtin types who will given minimal opportunities. If this happens, we've completely destroyed the work of the recent past in building a young team to develop. We will have wasted our time...and possibly careers.

That trade haul will make us a better team in 2025, but maybe not after that. Those kids are going to be alright. I'm sure of it. But we have time and we must give it to them. Not some import sugar hit.

I feel that ANB replacing Murph improves us immediately. Draper adds to our midfield and improves us immediately. Dodson improves us somewhat next year. But these are better outcomes long-term.

It's important to stay focused on the main goal of the period and only once that's achieved, can you look at opportunities as they arise.

Draper with pick 4 or a very significant mid for pick 4 must be the focus. We have other holes for sure, but that's the focus of the next few months.
The reason I’m so focused on ANB and Cumming is that they are moves that clearly improve a couple of our weaknesses last year

ANB - forward half pressure (Murphy’s role) - we don’t really have anyone that can come in and do this currently on the list
Cumming - pace and footskills (either HBF or wing) - we sure know we’re lacking both of those

ANB is 29 next year, so that gives us three or four years to draft and develop an eventual pressure half-forward replacement. Cumming just makes us a more dynamic side overall, none of Hinge/Nank/Sholl/Dowling/Curtin are real pacy types. Provided he stays healthy, he can be a POD for us until the end of the decade

I think getting those two, whilst allowing our young guys to develop by weeding out some of the more experienced weak links (Murphy, Laird etc) will help us be a better side, in 2025 as well as beyond

Unfortunately the main goal of the period is exactly what you fear. Putting together a 26 in the shortest possible time that can still be competing for finals qualification late in the season. That's why even when we knew we were going to miss it by games, we still have Nix talking about 0:02% chances.

I totally agree with all of this. While all these players would be handy they are only going to dislodge our younger players. For instance ANB is an upgrade on Murphy, but Pedlar or Taylor should be in his role in the first place. It’s the senior deadwood that needs to make way.

There's no mystery

They hide them because they'd be scrutinised

Giving critics as little ammo as possible

But they're not scrutinised.

The opinions of half a dozen posters on here wouldn't even enter their world.

There's probably a dozen reasons that would impact them more.

"Hey, my player got 90% of the B&F votes that the winner did, but only gets paid half as much. We need to renegotiate this deal."

Unless that is the kind of scrutiny you mean?

The reason this is an echo chamber is the opinions bounce around here and seem louder than they are. It's not reality.

so you think with no evidence its ok for you to be utterly disrespectful to people. be better.

Just curious and with all due respect, why are you singling this poor bugger out? Are you mentoring Moogle?

The ability to be disrespectful is a big part of the appeal of this place for me. Surely you've had the odd crack,sans any evidence,since you've been here?

Last edited:

"Hey, my player got 90% of the B&F votes that the winner did, but only gets paid half as much. We need to renegotiate this deal."

The reason this is an echo chamber is the opinions bounce around here and seem louder than they are. It's not reality.

So since Nicks, our player culture can't handle it whereas it used to be able to and other clubs' can? Interesting view.

Firstly have close contact feedback Burgess definitely staying .
But totally bemused again with what else going on.
We seemed to be bringing in every man and his dog in and keeping pick 4 .
Ok but we are keeping all the deadwood .
Smith another year is absolutely mental .
Tex although understandable doesn't help us move forward, only maybe get a couple of wins to save Nicks
Borlase getting another 2 years if true is crazy as although great truer just doesn't have it.
Thinking ok with rumour Berry traded would create a spot and draft pick then hear he has got another 2 years again another no great ceiling player not only taking spot on list but stopping Taylors Edward's etc etc from getting mid time.
So not only how the hell are we going to bring in even leave at 3 new players plus draft picks when keeping so many should have moved on let alone how can we give good kids like Dowling, Curtin , Taylor Nankervis etc etc decent minutes .
But lets not even go near what is happening or not happening with our spud coaches

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Firstly have close contact feedback Burgess definitely staying .
But totally bemused again with what else going on.
We seemed to be bringing in every man and his dog in and keeping pick 4 .
Ok but we are keeping all the deadwood .
Smith another year is absolutely mental .
Tex although understandable doesn't help us move forward, only maybe get a couple of wins to save Nicks
Borlase getting another 2 years if true is crazy as although great truer just doesn't have it.
Thinking ok with rumour Berry traded would create a spot and draft pick then hear he has got another 2 years again another no great ceiling player not only taking spot on list but stopping Taylors Edward's etc etc from getting mid time.
So not only how the hell are we going to bring in even leave at 3 new players plus draft picks when keeping so many should have moved on let alone how can we give good kids like Dowling, Curtin , Taylor Nankervis etc etc decent minutes .
But lets not even go near what is happening or not happening with our spud coaches
Just for clarity here, is it Burgo who's totally bemused, or you?

Ive tried to read this word salad a few times and I still dont get it. To be fair I probably should get a few more hours sleep

Of course people - every day followers of the club - not just us on BF would look through the final votes and ask questions of how they arrived at where they did

People still talk about McLeod not getting Brownlow votes in a game he dominated.

But apparently only here in the echo chamber ????????

''but they're not scrutinised'' is exactly the reason they should be . Its club history . The player will be forever etched as a winner of the Gold Jacket and you would be ok with a player getting it because mysteries?

So, why do you think they used to publish these details when we were successful and then stopped when we were unsuccessful?

Curtin's selection earlier this year shows how the groundswell of outside opinion sways club decision making.

They are acutely aware of public sentiment.

Nicks said that Smith was a big part of our future because he was acutely aware of the public sentiment towards Smith.

The opinions on here don't differ much from the membership as a whole or even the Facebook crowd. The Facebook posts used to get described as happy clappers but all and sundry have been absolutely teeing off on the club this year.

The club are well and truly in defence mode.

Club: The votes are not scrutinised
Also Club: Let's keep the votes top secret

So, why do you think they used to publish these details when we were successful and then stopped when we were unsuccessful?

Curtin's selection earlier this year shows how the groundswell of outside opinion sways club decision making.

They are acutely aware of public sentiment.

Nicks said that Smith was a big part of our future because he was acutely aware of the public sentiment towards Smith.

The opinions on here don't differ much from the membership as a whole or even the Facebook crowd. The Facebook posts used to get described as happy clappers but all and sundry have been absolutely teeing off on the club this year.

The club are well and truly in defence mode.
* self preservation mode.

Which is never a good thing as it's more about protecting individuals rather than the best interests of the club.

Just curious and with all due respect, why are you singling this poor bugger out? Are you mentoring Moogle?

The ability to be disrespectful is a big part of the appeal of this place for me. Surely you've had the odd crack,sans any evidence,since you've been here?
Well at least you are honest but what does this actually say about you? Don’t bother responding as another one to IGNORE

So it D Burgess out or not?
Roo saying on radio no he is staying. Seems to be contracted and we are holding him to contract (even if he is wanting out) is my take on things,

As for the other playing Burgess who apparently is contracted, I reckon we are going to pay him out and keep Berg instead

Well at least you are honest but what does this actually say about you? Don’t bother responding as another one to IGNORE

Probably no different to you. Be honest with yourself. You've never said anything disrespectful to, or about anyone on here?

Putting me on ignore before answering the above would be quite disrespectful fwiw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back