Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 36 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 163 81.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely. Just not sure houston is that guy to get them the high end pick they really want though, as good as he is as he is in a position most clubs will feel they can cover without paying a super premium for

I disagree with a lot of that. Back flankers are very important in today's game and even if a team thinks they have depth (i doubt that) there is levels to this. Obviously, price is a factor, 2 firsts is too much but that's the sticker price, remains to be seen if it's the end price. Pears might be happy with a deep first this year and some junk etc.

Keep going.... who will take him and what will the Power get?

That's where Melbourne threw a curve ball. Going from contending to now what seems like a forced reset/rebuild. But Houston/Pears have already gone down this road so no harm in knocking on other doors. Anyone looking to contend in the next 3 years that has some excess draft capital would be an obvious suitor. Outside of Dees, no one is jumping out at me.

The latest whispers from West Lakes.

The Good News; We will take pick 4, pick 25 and pick 42 to the draft. We expect Welsh will be (well) below pick 25 so pick 4, pick 25 and Welsh.

The Bad News;
Oliver - No
Pickett - No
Petracca - Never in the hunt
Lukosius - No
Rosas - No
Perryman - No
Cumming - No

The Ugly;
Only 4 changes to the list
Keane (R) - Gone
Parnell (R) - Gone
Hamill (R) - Gone
McHenry - Gone
No trade interest in Gollant, Berry, Schoenberg and Himmelberg. Gollant and Himmelberg move to the Rookie list on a 1 year contract.

The Diabolical;
Melbourne still want pick 25 for ANB but we are holding firm. Collingwood won’t give up pick 32 for Keane and are offering pick 42. We might have to give up our F2 for ANB. Worst case scenario is the ANB deal falls through and we keep Ned on the list for another year.

Uncontracted players (Parnell, Hamill, Gollant, Himmelberg, Burgess and McHenry) are trying to find another club but some might get a 1 year contract from us if nothing else falls our way during the trade period.

So we're not going to be taking advantage of all the mature talent on offer nor hitting the draft hard in a loaded draft year???

I can only hope we make major changes to our drafting and list management before we have the ability to trade 2 years in advance and do further damage with their gross incompetence.

Surely Dees just playing games. Very happy to take pick 25 to the draft instead of ANB if it comes to that.

From memory the cash very nearly got it done, wasn’t it his manager who basically convinced him not to?

No guarantees but putting up enough money always puts you in the conversation.
His manager told him not to because ultimately he would make more money in Melbourne (even on a significantly lesser deal) which exposes the whole problem with a salary cap in a league where one state dominates the off field opportunities.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So we're not going to be taking advantage of all the mature talent on offer nor hitting the draft hard in a loaded draft year???

The problem is the mix between our main list and rookie list players. We need to remove more players from our main list but the ones we would be willing to wave farewell to are still contracted and no one seems interested in trading for them.

We will wait until the main draft is over and then see if there are players of interest in the rookie draft. Hence players like Hamill, Berg etc are may or may not survive. The other option is to pay out a contracted player (Smith, Schoenberg) but there is little appetite to go down this pathway.

The problem is the mix between our main list and rookie list players. We need to remove more players from our main list but the ones we would be willing to wave farewell to are still contracted and no one seems interested in trading for them.

We will wait until the main draft is over and then see if there are players of interest in the rookie draft. Hence players like Hamill, Berg etc are may or may not survive. The other option is to pay out a contracted player (Smith, Schoenberg) but there is little appetite to go down this pathway.

So our own inability to manage list spots and have a basic level of foresight is a hurdle?

How much more evidence do we need to prove we have absolute muppets running our club?

My mail is that we’ve missed out on Luko, Perryman and Cumming and will now concentrate on the draft.

Not too unhappy about it either, if true
It’s a pretty bad result to come out and say you’ll be aggressive, only to get one impact player across the line

The latest whispers from West Lakes.

The Good News; We will take pick 4, pick 25 and pick 42 to the draft. We expect Welsh will be (well) below pick 25 so pick 4, pick 25 and Welsh.

The Bad News;
Oliver - No
Pickett - No
Petracca - Never in the hunt
Lukosius - No
Rosas - No
Perryman - No
Cumming - No

The Ugly;
Only 4 changes to the list
Keane (R) - Gone
Parnell (R) - Gone
Hamill (R) - Gone
McHenry - Gone
No trade interest in Gollant, Berry, Schoenberg and Himmelberg. Gollant and Himmelberg move to the Rookie list on a 1 year contract.

The Diabolical;
Melbourne still want pick 25 for ANB but we are holding firm. Collingwood won’t give up pick 32 for Keane and are offering pick 42. We might have to give up our F2 for ANB. Worst case scenario is the ANB deal falls through and we keep Ned on the list for another year.

Uncontracted players (Parnell, Hamill, Gollant, Himmelberg, Burgess and McHenry) are trying to find another club but some might get a 1 year contract from us if nothing else falls our way during the trade period.
Great to hear that our unapologetic attempts to attract players and improve the list are working.

If I’ve been vague in what I’ve posted, it’s out of respect for other posters who have genuine sources and information

I’m normally one to be optimistic about media rumours, and have been on the Cumming situation until a couple of days ago

My mail is that we’ve missed out on Luko, Perryman and Cumming and will now concentrate on the draft.

You do realise cumming and perryman are in season. On Luko who knows. I reckon he stays at GC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a pretty bad result to come out and say you’ll be aggressive, only to get one impact player across the line

I personally didn't think Neal-Bullen would be sub but with Nicks at the helm he always keeps you on your toes

I'm sorry but for me would be one of the biggest fails of the year, irrespective of where we've finished on the ladder.

For a club with a lot of room to move with our salary cap, and who've publicly indicated that we've got draft picks on the table, this would show for me that ONCE AGAIN we're unable to bring in Non-SA talent into our team.

We are in desperate need for players within that 24-30 range. Missing out on a player in Cumming who has a connection to Tex (and Surely Nicks who was with GWS as a senior assistant coach in that Cumming's 2nd year) is deplorable.

Lukosius is a Crows fan, and surely we've been in his ear since he was first drafted to GC. People keep banging on about him being great mates with Rozee, but surely Rankine would have been super close to him too...

ANB I think is a really good get, but far out if Port get ahead of us with a combination of Luko/Cumming/Perryman then I think we need a huge reset in our list management space.

Regardless of how people rate Cumming, it’s an awful look to announce yourselves as aggressors this trade period, target a bloke a year out, have more money and a personal connection to him (Tex) than your rivals and still lose him to them from a last-gasp attempt.
what are you talking about? has cumming nominated a club yet?

Stephen Rowe saying we delisted Jimmy via text message. Sounds like something we'd do.

All the evidence shows the clubs list management is gutless.

Too afraid to go all in on players they rate. Too afraid to invest heavily in youth and do a reset. Too afraid to cut old players loose. Too afraid to look a bloke in the eye and tell him it's over.

A weak scared club.

That's enough positively from me today, PEACE OUT.

Regardless of how people rate Cumming, it’s an awful look to announce yourselves as aggressors this trade period, target a bloke a year out, have more money and a personal connection to him (Tex) than your rivals and still lose him to them from a last-gasp attempt.
There's no evidence this has happened beyond what some purported ITKs have said.

My favourite "whisper" so far is that Collingwood will only stump up Pick 42 for Keane. We'd be right to be ropeable at that - it's our pick.

AND Nicks was a Senior Assistant Coach at GWS in Cumming's 2nd year in the senior side. You'd think Assistant Coaches would definitely have a big influence on new players...

There's no evidence this has happened beyond what some purported ITKs have said.

My favourite "whisper" so far is that Collingwood will only stump up Pick 42 for Keane. We'd be right to be ropeable at that - it's our pick.
thats good because even we are not dumb enough to trade him for that. keep keane. delist borlase. no we do not need the keane list spot. there are other ways.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back