Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 161 82.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You haven’t proved anything, you’ve slink into the shadows without answering anything.
Hiding Peeking GIF

This season has been a disaster. Possibly our worst ever year.

But ..

If we go into next year without significant personnel changes, we'll be pigeon holed as a failure of North Melbourne proportions.

The team was a disaster this year. The off season will determine whether the whole club is equally a disaster.
What a massive over reaction.

This was a very tight season. Melbourne finished 14th with 11 wins, which is shocking. We finished 15th with a percentage of 99.1%, which is VERY high for that low a finish. Sydney finished top, and had the lowest percentage for 30 years.

We were off the pace and fumbled a LOT of key moments. We took a step back after a few years of incremental improvement. We clearly have some obvious areas to improve.

But it's not the worst season in history. C'mon.

Which Coach DO you hear that about in the Media?
Well, Bevo was outed by players on podcasts and by the media.

Rumours about Lyon played out in the media this year.

Clarkson has had it said by some that he's seen a negative, for better or worse.

Hinkley is often said to be a positive, as is Mitchell.

It's pretty widely discussed if someone is meant to be a positive or negative.

This was a very tight season. Melbourne finished 14th with 11 wins, which is shocking. We finished 15th with a percentage of 99.1%, which is VERY high for that low a finish. Sydney finished top, and had the lowest percentage for 30 years.

We were off the pace and fumbled a LOT of key moments. We took a step back after a few years of incremental improvement. We clearly have some obvious areas to improve.

It's arguably our most underachieving season v expectations.

Our.season never got properly going thanks to changing the game plan.

Well, Bevo was outed by players on podcasts and by the media.

Rumours about Lyon played out in the media this year.

Clarkson has had it said by some that he's seen a negative, for better or worse.

Hinkley is often said to be a positive, as is Mitchell.

It's pretty widely discussed if someone is meant to be a positive or negative.

That's not exactly what you where claiming though is it? Any examples of media claiming these guys deter players from joining their team would be more on point. Or is that what you're pointing at?

Besides that, there is a massive difference between those 4 and Nicks I,e - Relevance.
If their records are based on being a "negative", then I'm all for Nix being less of a positive ay.

We only won 8 games. Melbourne won 11 - it’s a big gap regardless of the fact we were competitive in most games.
However - on the glass half full side - we all know we need a high class mid and we get that opportunity again before hopefully rising up the ladder. If we had finished 10th or above we may well have missed that chance and got ourselves stuck mid table as our younger guys develop - so we get a chance to “complete” the rebuild

Everything depends on this off season and us getting some genuine improvement by bringing at the very minimum two first 18 players from other clubs, ideally 3-4
And improving our off-field situation - we need at least 1 good signing in terms of assistant coaches or fresh voices in the footy department. Once again ideally 2

If we run it back with essentially what we have plus organic growth then I think any hope people hold for this current administration will be done

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Lukosius is one player you can see having some good minor round games ,,,, and failing in Finals intensity

He’s young enough to change somewhat …. but leave it go too long and the lazy habits ect are ingrained … ala Gibbs

The irony of this person calling out posters for poor grammar and spelling

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Matthew Nicks is widely seen as a very good person and a reasonable coach.

You hear zero chatter about him being a negative in recruitment in the media. Zero.

Of course there's little chatter, it's not zero, we extended him for 2 years. We even stated that we did it to eliminate media noise surrounding his future.

That's not exactly what you where claiming though is it? Any examples of media claiming these guys deter players from joining their team would be more on point. Or is that what you're pointing at?

Besides that, there is a massive difference between those 4 and Nicks I,e - Relevance.
If their records are based on being a "negative", then I'm all for Nix being less of a positive ay.

Both the Bevo and Lyon comments in the media were about the coach being the reason players want to leave.

That has been a Clarko rumour for a while, and there's been zero interest in players joining North since his arrival. Same for Lyon.

We only won 8 games. Melbourne won 11 - it’s a big gap regardless of the fact we were competitive in most games.
However - on the glass half full side - we all know we need a high class mid and we get that opportunity again before hopefully rising up the ladder. If we had finished 10th or above we may well have missed that chance and got ourselves stuck mid table as our younger guys develop - so we get a chance to “complete” the rebuild

Everything depends on this off season and us getting some genuine improvement by bringing at the very minimum two first 18 players from other clubs, ideally 3-4
And improving our off-field situation - we need at least 1 good signing in terms of assistant coaches or fresh voices in the footy department. Once again ideally 2

If we run it back with essentially what we have plus organic growth then I think any hope people hold for this current administration will be done

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If we don't have a big Improvement in the coaching team - such as two STRONG additions - and at least two additions to our first 18 (not including pick 4), then I'll join the ranks criticising the off season.

hmmm, I not lived there for 30 years but people are moving to adelaide in droves not just expats. melbourne is dead. covid killed it and it has not recovered.
Agree. I work in Melbourne, live in Geelong.
Melbourne is becoming not a great place to live.

Cost of living ridiculous.
Traffic is a nightmare.
City is not what it was pre Covid.
West Gate Tunnel project has killed the connection between west and east, adding 40-50 mins travel time.

It's becoming Sydney.
But without the decent weather. And shit beaches.

With high expectations at the start of the season, it was the worst. I can't remember feeling this bad at the end of a season. Even our wooden spoon felt better than this.
There's nothing much wrong with our list. We need a coach who can get the best out of it.
The administration of our club is in the wrong hands and fixing that would go a long way to improving our onfield results. How in the **** was Nicks given 2 more years?

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree. I work in Melbourne, live in Geelong.

Traffic is a nightmare.
West Gate Tunnel project has killed the connection between west and east, adding 40-50 mins travel time.

It's becoming Sydney.
But without the decent weather. And shit beaches.
spot on. and melbourne is full of degenerates at night because there is no longer the after work crowd (everyone WFH) to dilute the undesirables. adelaide has a much nicer feeling at night than melbourne - its more what melbourne was like pre covid.

Traffic is a nightmare.
Can't disagree with any of this .... The ridiculous traffic, no matter the time of day, or day ...it is the best part of Adelaide now, ease of getting around

You have to allow an hour and half everywhere ....there's daily accidents on the ring road, that can turn a 40 min trip into 2 hours ....just exhausting

Does anyone have insight into what our reputation is like within the industry?

Our repeated failures to attract staff and players suggests people are avoiding us for a reason

As others have mentioned, assistant coaches are not paid a lot. Steve Johnson chose to coach a country team instead because of the money.

The best assistant coaches are usually the ones with head coaching aspirations, I think opportunities for career progression is key. Being a part of a successful system is a big part of that, obviously you can point to the number of Clarkson and Hardwick’s assistants that got jobs elsewhere. I doubt many are super keen to hitch themselves to Nicks’ wagon.

When we do get an elite assistant it’s also harder for us to keep them. Rahilly being the prime example, I really don’t think there’s anything the club could do to convince a guy to not take a job in his home town, for the club he played for, under one of the greatest coaches of our era.

spot on. and melbourne is full of degenerates at night because there is no longer the after work crowd (everyone WFH) to dilute the undesirables. adelaide has a much nicer feeling at night than melbourne - its more what melbourne was like pre covid.
That's a huge stretch there

As others have mentioned, assistant coaches are not paid a lot. Steve Johnson chose to coach a country team instead because of the money.

The best assistant coaches are usually the ones with head coaching aspirations, I think opportunities for career progression is key. Being a part of a successful system is a big part of that, obviously you can point to the number of Clarkson and Hardwick’s assistants that got jobs elsewhere. I doubt many are super keen to hitch themselves to Nicks’ wagon.

When we do get an elite assistant it’s also harder for us to keep them. Rahilly being the prime example, I really don’t think there’s anything the club could do to convince a guy to not take a job in his home town, for the club he played for, under one of the greatest coaches of our era.
The reduction in the soft cap has had ranging ramifications .....do assistants want to shift families interstate for the uncertainty of football longevity, and for the money

It has zero to do with Nicks though.....if in fact he was so bad, Dawson & Rankine wouldn't have chosen us .....Rachele wouldn't have accepted his recent humiliation .....and we wouldn't be in the running to get ANB, Lukosius, and Cumming
So you can throw that theory right out the window

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back