Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 161 82.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

One of us!

Unlike most of this board, I love living in Melb.

Proof that you are the evil twin.

I was required to spend time all over Australia for work. Melbourne (where I spent the most time) was by far the least enjoyable and it wasn't even close. The idea of Melbourne is dramatically different to the actual lifestyle. Wouldn't do another stint there for love or money. Was actually a big factor in my decision to change careers and stay in Adelaide permanently.

Anyone that speaks poorly of living in Adelaide (or Canberra/Darwin/Hobart) probably hasn't spent much time there.

The VIC Govt is a disgrace re (and limiting scope here to) infrastructure builds re time and cost overruns and for the SRL who TF wants to go from Cheltenham to Box Hill? Not many people. MASSIVE waste of $$$
It's not just a travel project. It's about building mini commercial centres around the city centre to attract business and jobs away from the city, so to remove the need for the whole city to travel to the CBD and hence the impact of that can't be easily quantified.
I.e. travel times from outer Melbourne getting increased as population and urban sprawl continuing, cost of public transport and road upgrades to accommodate the increases.
Not to mention class divide of poorer people having to live far out of the city and travel more meaning more cost for them to get to work.

Sydney is developing its own 3 mini centres scheme and projects accordingly.
Unfortunately Melbourne doesn't really have the existing hubs or ability to build above ground infrastructure to do the same.

And re cost over runs. All projects have massive cost overruns. It's how major projects work.
You tender at the lowest price to win the work and get it off the ground politically, then variations naturally bring the cost back to what it would have cost originally anyway.

The VIC Govt is a disgrace re (and limiting scope here to) infrastructure builds re time and cost overruns and for the SRL who TF wants to go from Cheltenham to Box Hill? Not many people. MASSIVE waste of $$$

Vic Govt is an embarrassment of the highest order... The states totally broke, the corrupt unions are running rife, building a useless train loop from Cheltenham to Box Hill is utter stupidity.

It's not just a travel project. It's about building mini commercial centres around the city centre to attract business and jobs away from the city, so to remove the need for the whole city to travel to the CBD and hence the impact of that can't be easily quantified.
I.e. travel times from outer Melbourne getting increased as population and urban sprawl continuing, cost of public transport and road upgrades to accommodate the increases.
Not to mention class divide of poorer people having to live far out of the city and travel more meaning more cost for them to get to work.

Unfortunately Melbourne doesn't really have the existing hubs or ability to build above ground infrastructure to do the same.

And re cost over runs. All projects have massive cost overruns. It's how major projects work.
You tender at the lowest price to win the work and get it off the ground politically, then variations naturally bring the cost back to what it would have cost originally anyway.
Ok thanks for the insight re additional commercial centres and yes makes sense as SYD clearly has Parramatta and I am not sure what the other one/s are but perhaps Hornsby, Chatswood or SW Sydney somewhere (Bankstown?).

I wasn’t aware re the scale and consistency of cost and time blow outs was as bad for other states but let’s not go there on a footy thread.

Ps QLD Govt VERY smart building all the new toll roads 10-15 years ago (Clem Jones tunnel, airport link, Go between bridge etc) getting a clearly failed biz model to be stupidly paid for by investors thru tendering it to a publicly listed company before the inevitable overstated travel trips didn’t materialise and the public company went belly up within a short space of time. Govt took back assets for zilch or not much from my understanding before ultimately Transurban inevitably bought the majority stake in the new ownership structure

Ok thanks for the insight re additional commercial centres and yes makes sense as SYD clearly has Parramatta and I am not sure what the other one/s are but perhaps Hornsby, Chatswood or SW Sydney somewhere (Bankstown?).

I wasn’t aware re the scale and consistency of cost and time blow outs was as bad for other states but let’s not go there on a footy thread.
I've worked in NSW. It's the same.
Don't believe everything (or anything if youve got half a brain) the herald sun spews.

Ps QLD Govt VERY smart building all the new toll roads 10-15 years ago (Clem Jones tunnel, airport link, Go between bridge etc) getting a clearly failed biz model to be stupidly paid for by investors thru tendering it to a publicly listed company before the inevitable overstated travel trips didn’t materialise and the public company went belly up within a short space of time. Govt took back assets for zilch or not much from my understanding

Sydney
North Sydney
Paramatta
Liverpool
Chatswood has a mix of commercial and retail businesses as well as

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hate to say it but the suburban rail loop is a colossal waste of money and should be scrapped immediately.

Anyway, on point, having lived in both, I would say:

1. For most people 18-30 years old (ie footballer aged), Melb is a much better city to live in than Adelaide

2. Many people in Melb - especially posh private school people - think Adelaide is a joke and would be embarrassed to live there

3. For many people Melb is better for non-footy career reasons

These things are just reality, even if you think they aren’t true or fair they are what people think, and so they are still a huge problem for recruiting and retaining players, coaches and staff.

These disadvantages are not going to disappear any time soon, so we can only overcome them them with either

1. Luck - like some truly great father sons all in a bunch

2. Building a widely respected great club that people want to come to - like Sydney or Geelong

3. AFL handouts
More chance of posh Melbourne pricks changing their tune than us getting any AFL handouts haha

Vic Govt is an embarrassment of the highest order... The states totally broke, the corrupt unions are running rife, building a useless train loop from Cheltenham to Box Hill is utter stupidity.
Look I won’t get too political here but there has definitely been major issues - admittedly partly due to the nature of funding a fast growing state. Growth costs money but you could argue the effectiveness of Govt in many areas (SRL, Comm Games debacle etc)

If this rumour is true so be it. However, we completely failed to replace him. Another rumour was that big name assistants like Dew and Rutten didn’t want to join us because we were unwilling to give them senior assistant over Burns, who has been largely unimpressive here.

Look at Burns CV he was at WCE, Collingwood and Hawthorn in their years where they struggled, and the reality is that he didn’t have an impact.

I find it strange that as a senior assistant he’s never looked after our midfield, he largely failed as a defensive coach and took our forwards backwards this year

I’m hearing, many of the players are not a big wrap for Burns, the opposite they find him a little annoying

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Opinions change frequently & quickly .....last year, the barbs were out for Mitchell, he cut the list too deep ect

Our polls on the board, strongly suggested the majority of posters expected Finals this year .....you simply don't have that belief, if you think the Coach can't Coach .....the major focus was on the timing around any coaching extension

So, the Club didn't meet supporters expectations ....so 9 months on, suddenly Nicks can't Coach & suddenly Mitchell is the second coming

Half way mark of the year, Longmuire (FREO) is the talk of the footy world ....now the spotlight is back on him

You can say the same about Voss

Nah, the reality is cloaked by emotion ....the footy world is not on Nicks back .....Rowe is not on Nicks back

Supporters as usual need a scapegoat ....and they're shooting their arrows far & wide

Yes, Mitchell may have been in the gun but hey let’s discount the fact he was only in his second year. Now look where they are now, playing finals in week 2 in his third year.

Yes, we all expect to play finals and why wouldn’t we because of the incremental increase in performance but then Mr Nicks decided to stuff around with our defensive action and off we start with a 0-4 start to the season and continuing to rely on old hands until R13 once the season was lost.

Nicks got a two year extension after a R1 loss (this is still to be fully explained by the club) and he has made numerous ****ups during the year, which is inexcusable for a fifth year coach.

I’ll give you a hint, most successful coaches have been involved in premiership winning sides (either as a player or one of the coaches). Do we have any on our list of coaches?

I've worked in NSW. It's the same.
Don't believe everything (or anything if youve got half a brain) the herald sun spews.
Haha very true re Newscorp. I actually have both Fairfax/Nine and Newscorp subscriptions to try and get some balance, H Sun definitely best for footy stuff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Far more have developed under Nicks ....Keays, Nankervis, Rankine is far better than at GC, Thilthorpe, Fogarty Sholl ....I could go on & on

Rachele hasn't ....and I have an interesting theory

GEEL leaders laid down the riot act to Ablett Jnr, who was coasting along on his talent & playing a permanent small fwd .....this was pointed out to him, and that he needed to knuckle down to realise his full potential

Is this a similar scenario to Rachele ?

Anyway, back to your post ....yes IMO HAW are having an out-of-the-box season .....which doesn't reflect their list quality
This season could hurt them

Whereas the scrutiny on the Crows, another low Draft Pick ...and the urgency to get into Finals .....could be just the tonic we need

The majority of players will develop in one form or another under any Coach, in any system. Have they developed to their potential?Have they developed at ,or above an average pac?. Are they showing the desired level of consistency required to be a threat?How has the team developed as a unit? Have players gone backwards under his watch?
These are some of the real questions you need to ask. If you do and then suggest experience is the issue, ask yourself if they have been afforded adequate exposure in their ideal positions vs years on list.

I feel Nicks fails all of the above.
Overall it was a shitty year no question and Nicks made lots of mistakes. Regression without a doubt and there should logically be pressure now on the club and coaches - and players - to be much better in 2025.

Happy clapper perspective:

• we had the hardest draw ANY team has EVER got. 1,2,3,5,7 and 11 is incredibly bad luck. Especially for a non finalist
  • further to last we will get double ups against 2 of Tigers, Kangas and Eagles next year IMO. Draw much easier overall and is a key point. Port Power played only ONE finals team twice (under-performing and injured Blues). They were never a second best team.
  • injuries hurt much more than 2023
  • we were in most games but had a few shockers like Horks (twice) and Tigers.

Basically much easier draw, win most of the close games, less injuries, a couple of first team andditions and ORGANIC growth and we make finals next year.

I'm too lazy to look, but that draw thing you cite. Is it from this year or last? Only counts if it's last, and if it isn't you a shouldn't use it as any sort of argument.

What are you even on about?

What we achieved last year is in no way comparable to the Hawks this year.

And what you’re saying does not dispute my point.

I am sure that for Rahilly, moving to the Cats where he can coach under Scott was definitely a factor in his decision. Do you seriously think that people would look at Nicks the same way?
A Geelong poster mentioned the other day that Rahilly was squeezed out when the AFL cut the soft cap spending during Covid

He was always going back when the opportunity arose

Sadly we have again had a taste of a decent assistant and then had to watch them move back east

I'd almost rather play Harry Boyd from Norwood in Ruck and lose most taps but at least he's competent at football who can kick handpass and mark, what good is O'Brien winning 40 hitouts every week if they aren't going to our midfielders and he's absolutely woeful around the ground other than a mark here and there.

In terms of ruck contests ROb is comparable at winning hitout to advantage to majority of the best rucks in the league. I suspect our lack of pac win the midfield - therefore not being able to break away from the clearance after winning the stoppage - is a bigger issue

ROB’s main problem is he has zero agility and is a complete liability in open play - moreso than any other ruckman in the league

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That argument is very speculative and still doesn’t justify the SRL cost. Has strong Multifunction Polis vibes.

That argument is very speculative and still doesn’t justify the SRL cost. Has strong Multifunction Polis vibes.
Sure, i get that.
But something like this should have been done before Melbourne became an up and coming mega metropolis without having to have people travelling 90 mins to work, or 30 mins to cross a couple of suburbs.
There was a proposal in the 70s for a similar scheme, and would obviously have costed a very small percentage of what it costs now.

If you put this off and only look at projects in their short term value, you don't plan for population growth, and all the problems that come with it.

Like building a one way freeway to the south of Adelaide..

I’ll give you a hint, most successful coaches have been involved in premiership winning sides (either as a player or one of the coaches). Do we have any on our list of coaches?
You don't know ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back