Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 36 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 163 81.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL .....everyone's always able to identify the problem, never the solutions ....it's the way of life in general

So far, people want every person in the club sacked, from Silvers down to the boot-studder (if they still existed) .....rip the Club apart, start again

Oh, but we still want to make Finals after all of that .....nope, never would happen

Brad Scott (and others) are finding themselves saddled with a list of a former Coach .....a list aimed at a different gameplan

Yeah, I know it's romantic thinking that another Craig Macrae scenario "could happen" .......odds are they don't

Every Coach will have a blip year ....explanations have already been shared ....but two blip years are rarely accepted

I do t want to make finals, I wanted 2 more years near the bottom to make up for the talent void from the failed first rounders that netted us Milera, Gooch, Jones & McAsey. I knew our version of a rebuild would be to gear decisions towards returning to competing for a spot in the 8 in the shortest amount of time possible. I wanted to stay down a bit longer to build a list that would compete for a spot in the top 4 over multiple years.

If 2023 read 12-11 and 8th then the extension doesn’t look so bad. And I would agree the club thought that was the case and got ahead of themselves

Then made it worse but not announcing earlier they had extended Nicks - wanting to do it as a big home game announcement

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

My conspiracy theory is that they expected to hit the ground running and have to bat away with a smug grin the media noise about ‘why haven’t they extended this bloke’? Then around half way through the year as we head to our return to finals it’d be the big announcement and further shot in the arm for the adoring troops.

And then we lost round 1 and they panicked because they genuinely believed we were heading towards finals and media noise would stuff that up.

My conspiracy theory is that they expected to hit the ground running and have to bat away with a smug grin the media noise about ‘why haven’t they extended this bloke’? Then around half way through the year as we head to our return to finals it’d be the big announcement and further shot in the arm for the adoring troops.

And then we lost round 1 and they panicked because they genuinely believed we were heading towards finals and media noise would stuff that up.
Pretty sound theory really

I know this won't be a popular opinion amongst the sack everyone crew... Wayne's point he made in his post was that - sacking Nicks doesn't automatically equal success. In fact it usually means more rebuilding and changes. The other point being, if you think Nicks is the problem then you can't also think Hamish, Reid, Kelly are the problem.... Given Hamish & Reid were there long enough before Nicks to create this list that isn't exactly a masterpiece then it's only fair they go too. Do people actually think we currently have a premiership list?

Haven’t we usually had a spike after sacking a coach? Nix being the exception.

OK, but e.g. Leigh Matthews is FD at the Lions, other clubs have someone who clearly has that role even if they don't name it as such e.g. Bartel at GWS. Surely every club would have a "football person" on the board. I don't see what the issue is.

I’m just saying that our board doesn’t actually have a football director position. The role does not exist. Chairperson and deputy chairperson exist, everyone else is either an appointed director or an elected director.

Roos role is ‘football director’ for ease of understanding. But it’s not a role that needs to be replaced constitutionally and if we end up with nobody with footy credentials replacing him, references to it will cease. The most likely outcome is an executive role being created and that incompetent moron will be the leading candidate. Favoured over even Neil Effing Balme.

That’s how $h!tfully run our club is.

Last edited:
If 2023 read 12-11 and 8th then the extension doesn’t look so bad. And I would agree the club thought that was the case and got ahead of themselves

Then made it worse but not announcing earlier they had extended Nicks - wanting to do it as a big home game announcement

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think the general consensus was to wait.

A certain poster keeps trying to dismiss 2024 as a"blip", but is completely forgetting that 2022 was also a disaster.

After Round 6 in 2022, aside from a shock victory against Carlton we only could manage to beat West Coast twice and North Melbourne twice.

The wheels had completely fallen off and even Rowey at the time was questioning the rebuild and said that it stalled

2023 was a trend in the right direction, but 2022 was had created enough doubt for many people to want to wait until late in 2024 before making a decision on his future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess you need to know the definition of the roles? Kelly’s role as Head of Football clearly isn’t one of overseeing the coach or game day strategy, rather making sure the football department runs smoothly. I think a senior Director of Football would be the Neil Balme type position who is there to guide and assist the coaching panel.

I don’t think that’s right. The footy dept should funnel up to Kelly at the peak. He should have the knowledge to determine where the weak links are in the coaching group, strategy, selection etc. If not him, who else in the total structure is expected to make those kinds of assessments?

The Director of Coaching doesn't effect Kelly. Nicks is still running the show. It's really just a Senior Assitant role.

It shouldn’t be. In a poor performing group with fixed contracts and in a high performance environment there’ll be a strong culture of survival of the fittest. A director of coaching should sit atop the coaching hierarchy and assess who’s valuable and who’s not. It should be the person that determines that the senior coach needs a new group of assistants or whether the senior coach is the problem.

Currently we’ve got Admin Adam Kelly to rely upon when it comes to such challenging considerations.

What background do these people have ? Anyone know ?

Alec Buttfield (Head of Sports Science) - PhD, consultant and previously at the SA Sports Institute as a biomechanist. Has consulted for many clubs including both SA teams, Geelong, West Coast, a few baseball teams

Jared Hoare (Head of Fitness and Conditioning) - Lead S&C coach at the Melbourne Rebels for a year, previously in various S&C roles in rugby

Rob Jarrett (Strength and Conditioning Coach) - Internal hire, head S&C coach for our AFLW side, worked with us for four years, previously worked as a trainer and local netball S&C coach

Port don’t have what the Sun want in picks… so what happens then?

If clubs don’t have or are prepared to pay the price then he stays at the Suns. Or they reassess the trade value of the player they’re offloading and see if anyone is prepared to pay that. No different to selling any other asset that is originally overpriced.

I think the general consensus was to wait.

A certain poster keeps trying to dismiss 2024 as a"blip", but is completely forgetting that 2022 was also a disaster.

After Round 6 in 2022, aside from a shock victory against Carlton we only could manage to beat West Coast twice and North Melbourne twice.

The wheels had completely fallen off and even Rowey at the time was questioning the rebuild and said that it stalled

2023 was a trend in the right direction, but 2022 was had created enough doubt for many people to want to wait until late in 2024 before making a decision on his future.

It's wild to me that anyone would suggest 2024 is a blip

2020 - 18th, 3 wins
2021 - 15th, 7 wins
2022 - 14th, 8 wins
2023 - 10th, 11 wins
2024 - 15th, 8 wins

I mean if you look at that you'd say the blip is the 2023 season

Knowing Nicks through a "Toyota yard". I'm fascinated how someone who works in a car dealership would have a good handle on someone's personality traits. Due to A) the fact they work in a car yard B) the time exposed to this person C) Again a carsalesman?

I know a bloke who is in senior management in a Toyota yard - he speaks with a particular board member and player, at least weekly and sometimes more often and occasionally goes on promotional sessions with them. He has got to know them and some of their personality traits.
Oh, and he gives me nothing! :mad:

Last edited:
Disagree, its luko that may choose port as they can offer him his preferred role

Would Luko genuinely prefer a high physical impact role which is greater the closer you get to goal? Wouldn’t the high half forward working up and back and occasionally starting deeper suit him better?

I do t want to make finals, I wanted 2 more years near the bottom to make up for the talent void from the failed first rounders that netted us Milera, Gooch, Jones & McAsey. I knew our version of a rebuild would be to gear decisions towards returning to competing for a spot in the 8 in the shortest amount of time possible. I wanted to stay down a bit longer to build a list that would compete for a spot in the top 4 over multiple years.
I think the club is onboard with your thinking regarding the rebuild.
It's the only reason we gave Nicks a 2 year extension ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back