Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 36 18.0%
  • No

Votes: 164 82.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprised to hear Brad Crouch's career is likely over because of a degenerative knee injury (per AFL 360). Is that common knowledge?

Just need a Head of Cycling. Remember when we had the best cyclists in the AFL? - thanks to Neil and Charlie!
We also won two premierships while he was in charge of fitness, just saying…

Also if you dive a bit deeper into 2022, the season wasn't the improvement that people are trying to paint it as.

We were 3 wins from our first 6 games, but from there we only won 5 games out of the next 16 with 4 of those wins being against 17th and 18th.

In terms of consistency across the season and the strength of wins I'd argue that 2022 was a step back from 2021.

Having double-ups against the Eagles and North helped the 2022 season

8W-14L

Wins
Port 11th
Tigers 7th
Dogs 8th
West Coast 17th
North 18th
Carlton 9th
West Coast 17th
North 18th

Surprised to hear Brad Crouch's career is likely over because of a degenerative knee injury (per AFL 360). Is that common knowledge?
Mid year, the strong rumour circulating was there had been a major fallout between Ross Lyon and Crouch ....and Crouch would not play another game under Lyon

That in fact is the case, he hasn't played another game .....the Knee has been questionable, but was it that bad to not play another game at any level since R11 (when the rumour was about) ?

Then Josh Jenkins put out a tweet yesterday, that Brad was training for next year ?

Good from Crows perspective if we are chasing Montgomery in some capacity as per previous rumours. Looks like he ain’t on Weagles shortlist

Having double-ups against the Eagles and North helped the 2022 season

8W-14L

Wins
Port 11th
Tigers 7th
Dogs 8th
West Coast 17th
North 18th
Carlton 9th
West Coast 17th
North 18th
Good point and I agree. On the flip side we had hardest draw (of any team ever) this year and equal hardest draw with Pies last year. Expect a much MUCH softer draw in 2025 which makes a big difference to finals prospects if get more of the bottom 3 teams plus others like Saints twice

Bloke called Blight had a fair say in that
Of course he did, but our ability to run over the top of teams in 97 and 98 were a big factor also, widely credited to Craigy and his program at the time.

Credit where it's due, surely

isnt it bad that they dont rate him top 3. i would say that's concerning
Depends how you look at it. Surface level maybe they think he isn’t a great coach which yeah maybe concerning. Digging a little deeper he may have a different direction/ideas of where he thinks the list is at e.g. may want to severely cull the dead weight and go deep which WCE don’t see as the problem or vice versa. He may have even pulled out himself not to say he got a better offer but just thought it wasn’t the right time or place to start.

I wouldn’t be overly concerned he isn’t in the frame, lots of potential reasons to not be concerned about. A fresh non boys club voice surely wouldn’t hurt though.

Anyone going to take back their dozens of posts criticising the club about Darren Burgess leaving?

There's actual issues we could talk about, and yet we're always getting upset over things that haven't and mostly aren't going to happen.
We can’t talk about them either as it upsets people

He had the issue when he played for the crows. It always needed to be managed

No surprise really

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That in fact is the case, he hasn't played another game .....the Knee has been questionable, but was it that bad to not play another game at any level since R11 (when the rumour was about) ?

Then Josh Jenkins put out a tweet yesterday, that Brad was training for next year ?

The tweet you mentioned.

I'm pretty sure he hit the trigger for next year so it's an interesting watch

Of course he did, but our ability to run over the top of teams in 97 and 98 were a big factor also, widely credited to Craigy and his program at the time.

Credit where it's due, surely
The common narrative in the media at the time was the crows incredible second half’s of big finals (97/98 prelims and GF) was attributed to our clearly league leading fitness program put together by Sports Scientist, Mr Neil Craig. He revolutionised the game from that perspective and had teams then adopt tapering in the years that followed.

Craigy gets a huge part of the credit for our 2 flags IMO. Not more than Blight but why people try and argue such simplistic black and white things is beyond me. Blighty reined and is number one factor. Craigy a huge factor and also needs due credit from any fair minded fan

isnt it bad that they dont rate him top 3. i would say that's concerning
It’s easy to find a negative in any situation. I don’t know the facts. Do you? Did Monty put his hand up for this role as many others had already turned it down. Some Assitant coaches will always be good Assistants but never good enough to make the leap to head coach - Neeld, Richardson, Ratten, Etc x 10

The common narrative in the media at the time was the crows incredible second half’s of big finals (97/98 prelims and GF) was attributed to our clearly league leading fitness program put together by Sports Scientist, Mr Neil Craig. He revolutionised the game from that perspective and had teams then adopt tapering in the years that followed.

Craigy gets a huge part of the credit for our 2 flags IMO. Not more than Blight but why people try and argue such simplistic black and white things is beyond me. Blighty reined and is number one factor. Craigy a huge factor and also needs due credit from any fair minded fan

I'll credit him the fitness side of it because he didn't have the same tactical nous as Blight.

What do you mean might.....

It's odds on
One full day of posting and 233 posts already, you are on world record here mate.

Why don’t you explain how much you hate Port Power and their weaknesses as a club? Like being in a scrubber area, feral fans, biggest chokers in AFL this century etc. what do you most hate about them? Just interested :)

I'll credit him the fitness side of it because he didn't have the same tactical nous as Blight.
Well fitness was his job then. And we clearly were the leagues fittest team. Playing 4 finals both years - without the week off after minor round - and finishing strongly (SO strongly) in each second half of big finals away from home. Magnificent and unexpected at the time. It was a distinct competitive advantage and just not sure why he isn’t given universal credit amongst crows fans for this.

With his coaching that’s completely different I agree. But finals 5 years in a row, top 2 in 2005/2006 end of minor round, desperately unlucky mainly in 2006 with horrendous injuries and Eagles “issues”. Clearly he made some massive stuff ups (Horks final when Bock was the obvious Buddy match up) and was stubborn as a coach and should have left at least a year earlier than he ultimately did. But in terms of intellect, drive and being open to dynamic and revolutionary ideas (only in some aspects of coaching) makes him a good coach in hindsight. Can’t ever be deemed more than that without making a GF or winning a flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back