Preview 2024 Semi Final : Port v Hawks, AO 7:10pm Friday 13th Sept

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I missing something? I have no idea how Phillips is similar to Frost. Frost is an athletic beast. I don't see that in Phillips at all. I'd rather Serong
Capacity to play on a monster key forward. even if we could get away with playing someone like scrimshaw on Dixon this week, if we do end up making the grand final we simply cannot go into that game without someone like Phillips to play on a hogan, Hawkins etc

Bad news for Frost he’s been huge for us this year and we will miss his aggression but we gotta move on. We have been small down back all year maybe bring in Serong to play Scrims role and Scrim plays Frost roll.

On Friday night Scrim standing next to Darcy at times looked ridiculous……. but we dealt with 3 quality big forwards due to our pressure across the ground not allowing good delivery by the opposition into their forwards. And then when we got it we were out of there!

Last edited:
Farout HUGE loss Frosty! I would love us to give Serong a crack, give him the opportunity to make a statement that he belongs in the AFL. He has been great in the VFL and nothing to lose now as the rest of the finals it's going to be tough without Frosty (especially if we come up against the gorilla build Key Forwards).

Phillips & DGB just haven't shown enough at VFL for my liking. DGB also has a tendancy to easily get frustrated and give away stupid frees, can't afford that in a final.

I get the arguments for and against. But if I was Serong waiting for an opportunity with his form, I’d be pretty dirty if Easy got picked ahead of me.
I'll go with whatever the selection committee chooses but if they did go with Phillips over him then I'm they would be in his ear telling him that it was nothing against him and it was a structural selection. If it was Scrim that went down then Serong would likely be the best like for like but either way all we can now is wait to see which way the club decides to go.

Port should be permitted to wear their prison bars jumper this week. Would give the game the feel of an “SANFL v VFL” style clash, like the AFC Night Competition back in the early-mid 1980s.

Here is the AFC Foster's Cup match between Port Magpies and Hawks in 1985:

As for Frost being out, the footy gods were never going to let us win the flag after being 0-5, so 🤷‍♂️ .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Attachments

• Does Phil Tufnell Dream He Is A Potato - Would I Lie To You - Series 5 - Episode 5 - BBC One.mp4
    7.4 MB
Last edited:
Last week Phillips was being touted as a certain delistee. I can't see him coming in to play a crunch finals role for us. It will be Serong, and Weddle may have to play a purely defensive role at some point.
He'll still likely be delisted even if he comes in, the problem is that our options at full back are limited. Serong is the better performed player but it's not a role he plays at VFL level let alone AFL level.

Phillips in at full back allows everything else to remain unchanged, because lord knows we're better with Weddle or Sic playing their role rather than covering for Frost so someone can come in and play their usual role worse.

Port should be permitted to wear their prison bars jumper this week. Would give the game the feel of an “SANFL v VFL” style clash, like the AFC Night Competition back in the early-mid 1980s.

Here is the AFC Foster's Cup match between Port Magpies and Hawks in 1985:

As for Frost being out, the footy gods were never going to let us win the flag after being 0-5, so 🤷‍♂️ .

The pipe playing

Man, gotta feel for Frosty. Every time a club he's played for is on the brink of success he's had a setback.
I don't think we can look past Serong. Been kicking the door for a while and deserves the reward.
Imagine if Mitch did a Clarko/Robbie Campbell CHB with Lloyd. Those were interesting times.

So Reeves to come in ;)

The hand wringing about Phillips possibly coming in is ridiculous. The best choice is the choice that impacts the rest of our well functioning team the least, and Phillips is the choice. Any option with Sicily or Weddle playing more defensively will end up the same way as every suggestion of Maginness tagging has recently, ain't gonna happen.

The hand wringing about Phillips possibly coming in is ridiculous. The best choice is the choice that impacts the rest of our well functioning team the least, and Phillips is the choice. Any option with Sicily or Weddle playing more defensively will end up the same way as every suggestion of Maginness tagging has recently, ain't gonna happen.

It's not though. It'll be Serong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back