Preview 2024 Semi Final : Port v Hawks, AO 7:10pm Friday 13th Sept

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopefully we can get more out of Moore, Chol, Weddle and Nash, it will boost our overall effort.

Out: Frost, Maginness
In: Phillips, CJ

Butters is their barometer

I'm assuming Day is out if he's still in pain...

Just found out about Frosty.

Conor Mcgregor GIF by UFC

I had to apologise to those around me - basically hulked out for a second or two.

Shattered for the big fella. Such a key pillar of the team and someone who deserves all the finals glory possible. Footy is bloody cruel sometimes.

Bad news for Frost he’s been huge for us this year and we will miss his aggression but we gotta move on. We have been small down back all year maybe bring in Serong to play Scrims role and Scrim plays Frost roll.

On Friday night Scrim standing next to Darcy at times looked ridiculous……. but we dealt with 3 quality big forwards due to our pressure across the ground not allowing good delivery by the opposition into their forwards. And then when we got it we were out of there!
Darcy next to any defender not at least 200cm tall will look tiny. Barass would too. Bloke is the biggest key forward in the game if you don't count Cox. Port have Dixon and Ratugulea as big brutes and Phillips should be able to take 1 of them as they are both slow. Dixon is a liability ATM. We won't be up against big forward lines from here on in. Geelong have Neale as a giant but is still quite raw. Would not be against Serong though as he is very good with ball in hand and could play the Scrim role as well. We will probably go with what works for our system and that's Serong.

So my original thought, from being no change is now, IN, Phillips (more like for like and structure), OUT Frost.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's merit for either Phillips or Serong to come in.

Phillips would just play Frost's role and everything else would stay the same.

If Serong came in, they would be hoping that Port will still play all their talls anyway, including the lumbering Dixon, with Weddle and Sicily running off Dixon.

They could get even more creative and maybe see how Chol goes at full back. Might actually help his form and give him confidence to clunk some marks and then possibly bring Scaife in.

I'm sure a lot conversations are taking place at the moment with Sam and the coaches.

Serong offers more versatility. He can go to half-back if necessary. Phillips is too slow and if he doesn't cope at fullback, where do they put him?
Barass isn't quick yet he's going to be the main man back there next year onwards. You need an anchor FB like a Weitering to play on the big boys. Frost has done amazing this year punching out his weight division but realistically he hasn't intercepted as much as in the past because he's had to play lockdown all year and it's allowed Sic, Scrimma and Weddle as eg to do alot of the intercepting. He's quick and agile but I think we can cover what he brings as long as whoever we bring in keeps their direct opponent quiet.

Darcy next to any defender not at least 200cm tall will look tiny. Barass would too. Bloke is the biggest key forward in the game if you don't count Cox. Port have Dixon and Ratugulea as big brutes and Phillips should be able to take 1 of them as they are both slow. Dixon is a liability ATM. We won't be up against big forward lines from here on in. Geelong have Neale as a giant but is still quite raw. Would not be against Serong though as he is very good with ball in hand and could play the Scrim role as well. We will probably go with what works for our system and that's Serong.
If Hinkley selects Dixon again after that game against Geelong, they should sack him before the game. He's worse than cooked, offered absolutely nothing all game, couldn't even bring the ball to ground.

Sent from my CPH2343 using Tapatalk

If Hinkley selects Dixon again after that game against Geelong, they should sack him before the game. He's worse than cooked, offered absolutely nothing all game, couldn't even bring the ball to ground.

Sent from my CPH2343 using Tapatalk
Marshall should get the gig which makes their forward line more mobile at least but suits us as well. Marshall is a lead up forward who's not overly strong but he hasn't played much footy in a while from what I've heard so it could be a risk bringing him in underprepared for a big final.

Phillips played well against Port in Adelaide last time and was unlucky not to get a few more games. I have definately seen worse going around.
Thought he was very good as well and actually suited their forward line because it isn't overly quick. Georgiadis is smaller than Gunner he's basically a 3rd tall. Weddle should be able to handle him which leaves Scrimma and either Phillips/ Serong for Dixon/Marshall and Esava. Last time Phillips played on Dixon and kept him quiet it was only when he went into the ruck to try and spark them he got into the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back