News 2024 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting at the end of the On The Couch piece, Lewis mentioning the man on the mark rule (how it's changed from when he was playing for Hawthorn) and how if teams can take advantage of it, it's a huge advantage for the offensive team these days. Couldn't agree more with that.
Shame Steele didn't take advantage of the rule to run around the Port ruckman who was manning the mark on the 50 arc

It's both. You can't look at our decisions without context.

I don't think we'd care as much if we had a stacked list and a few academy and FS kids on the horizon. Other clubs have manipulated the system by chipping off players on lists of clubs with these bounties who have to shed some talent to make way. Clubs are also able to trade into higher picks as clubs look to trade out of the front end of drafts.

I guess the one we did do was the trade down we used in the Hill trade where GWS with their ridiculous amount of draft picks were happy to give away a first round pick for a couple of place upgrade. Well we also benefited last year when we got a future second round pick to let them take Leake.

A bit like being late to the stand rule, every rule has it exploitability. Collingwood could give lower compensation for Bobby Hill who at another club probably would have demanded a higher pick. If he was at St Kilda we would have members to appease and need compensation to get back into the draft. We would hold firm hopefully. Same with players like Peter Wright or Jeremy Sharp or Will Brodie or Jack Bowes etc.

A lot of clubs probably think that while they benefit there is no reason to change the system. We are trying to rebuild and peak around the time clubs like North, Hawks, Goldy etc hit dominance and starting miles behind with Tasmania on the horizon.

We aren't at ground zero and have some of the hard work done but if we make a few bad calls in the next few years we could be bottom of the ladder while Tasmania comes in picking corpses and stealing the best of the draft. I think Bassat is sweating and his nerves are making him pipe up. It gives us an out if the shit hits the fan too.

Problem is it feels like Max is on a downward trajectory at the moment.

He clearly has the talent though, just hope he can re-discover whatever it is that he's lost this season.

He'll be fine. He's at rock bottom right now. Low confidence, injured and we are playing a game that makes him look even worse. He's overthinking it and not enjoying footy.

I'd put players like him and Steele in for their surgeries. We aren't playing finals and we are doing psychological damage to them.

Tom Campbell article on AFL.com

He'll be fine. He's at rock bottom right now. Low confidence, injured and we are playing a game that makes him look even worse. He's overthinking it and not enjoying footy.

I'd put players like him and Steele in for their surgeries. We aren't playing finals and we are doing psychological damage to them.
How do you know they are injured , or are you just guessing ?

How do you know they are injured , or are you just guessing ?
Max limping is a bit of a giveaway.

That & his inability to jump... or run.

Apparently that's just Max being lazy though. Ross is renowned for being patient with lazy players too.

Caro just whacked Bassett yet again. She can’t help herself. Debate the issue you old hag. What is he saying that isn’t 100% accurate.
As for Walsh saying we have forgotten about Mitch and Windy. He must have been pissed and forgot every club had the opportunity to take either of them. Just like Hawthorn took McKenzie off us.
Ugle Hagan on the other hand🙄
It's unfortunate no one is the media has the balls call out the difference between getting a player in the top 5 of the draft with a bunch of picks in the 40s and getting someone that every club had access to if they wanted them in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft.

But they cant dare question someone from a northern club.

Just caught Guy McKenna on SEN discussing Max. Thought he spoke brilliantly.

Probably won’t change the opinions of those who think he’s a dud or that we should trade him, but eloquently summed up all the things that Max’s supporters have been saying, without the bias that comes from a player’s own supporter base.

What’s he doing these days? Could be a good asset if we’re looking to change things around at the end of the season

Last edited:
Max limping is a bit of a giveaway.

That & his inability to jump... or run.

Apparently that's just Max being lazy though. Ross is renowned for being patient with lazy players too.
It was a legit question , no need to be an ass
I haven't noticed him limping so that's why I asked

Guy McKenna discussing Max King on SEN (thanks Dr)

————

Joey and Rooey squashing any discussion Saints would trade out Max

————
For those that want to trade out Max… just hold off a few years until Tas joins the comp 😉

Daniel Hoyne had a very measured take on Max on SEN this morning. Sorry can’t remember the time, I’m up to my ears with the gorgeous baby twins who are visiting, but lots of stats in comparison to Hawkins and others. Comparing the team Tom played in - win wise- and the support he got from other big forwards, to our win-loss record and the fact that King has never had good forward line support and mentoring.

Something, I’ll say, I have also mentioned in the past. He’s had to be main man since day dot. Also brought up the shoulder injuries and lack of confidence due to that. He’s certainly not writing him off and neither should we.

Trade talk for him is absolute rubbish. He’s shown what he is capable of. Just needs to regain confidence and to use him wisely for now.

Daniel Hoyne had a very measured take on Max on SEN this morning. Sorry can’t remember the time, I’m up to my ears with the gorgeous baby twins who are visiting, but lots of stats in comparison to Hawkins and others. Comparing the team Tom played in - win wise- and the support he got from other big forwards, to our win-loss record and the fact that King has never had good forward line support and mentoring.

Something, I’ll say, I have also mentioned in the past. He’s had to be main man since day dot. Also brought up the shoulder injuries and lack of confidence due to that. He’s certainly not writing him off and neither should we.

Trade talk for him is absolute rubbish. He’s shown what he is capable of. Just needs to regain confidence and to use him wisely for now.
I think we made a mistake trading out Bruce frankly. Bruce was a very decent forward before his injuries and I think expecting King to just slot in that position without that support was naive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Wonder if that diving mark that was missed impacted his shoulder . Think it was in the 2nd qtr.

Anyway, any talk of trading King is bloody dumb.

It was a legit question , no need to be an ass
I haven't noticed him limping so that's why I asked

Wasn’t being an ass (or arse to be more geographically accurate).

Was stating a pretty obvious fact.

Max hasn’t been close to fit since he came back from the knee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. Wonder if that diving mark that was missed impacted his shoulder . Think it was in the 2nd qtr.

Anyway, any talk of trading King is bloody dumb.

The commentators at the time made some sort of reference to Max failing to get to the ball, rather than the kicker (Nas?) kicking it just a little short.

Once a ‘vibe’ starts the media just can’t help finding a new example every hour of the day.

I think we made a mistake trading out Bruce frankly. Bruce was a very decent forward before his injuries and I think expecting King to just slot in that position without that support was naive.
Max had support the year after we traded Bruce with Membrey and whichever of Marshall/Ryder was forward. You wouldnt have played another player Bruce's size in the forward line.

The bigger issue was not getting someone to replace the resting ruck once Ryder retired or having a mature back-up option to use when he was injured.

Unless it's a different interview I think that was Guy McKenna. At least, he was saying the same stuff on the Whately show minus Whately. It was very reassuring.

The crap St. Kilda is coping this week after a 2 point loss to a team under heat all week is ridiculous.
We are a young team rebuilding and when you look at the top 8 we have lost to Port twice by 2 and 10 points, giants by 1, ess by 4, cats by 8 and freo and bris by 17 and 20. Even hawks only beat us by 5 who are now a form team. We are yet to play swans and blues.
Its mind boggling the carry on and yes we need to score more but its hardly a time to tip the whole list out and start again!

The crap St. Kilda is coping this week after a 2 point loss to a team under heat all week is ridiculous.
We are a young team rebuilding and when you look at the top 8 we have lost to Port twice by 2 and 10 points, giants by 1, ess by 4, cats by 8 and freo and bris by 17 and 20. Even hawks only beat us by 5 who are now a form team. We are yet to play swans and blues.
Its mind boggling the carry on and yes we need to score more but its hardly a time to tip the whole list out and start again!

I think the heat is totally warranted and should have come a lot earlier in the season. Lyon has us playing an unwatchable brand of football and the entire team are playing without excitement or any real interest. Most of the kids have gone backwards and we spent the first half of the season with one of the worst injury lists in the comp.

Then you have idiots from the club running around telling the media we have a huge war chest to spend, but then cant attract anyone or even get a player like Battle to re-sign suggests the club is once again a bloody mess. Basically we are in free fall and dont think the club have any idea how to stop it.

Last edited:

campaigners. Every last one of them. Paid to say anything they can to destabilise our club.

I'm not saying the points those pundits raised aren't valid, I agree with the response on this board that most is correct, but the phrasing of the headlines and the battery of attacks is no accident.

They and their bosses want:

• Star players to be unattracted to moving here
  • Our best players to consider moving away
  • Our fans to drop off
  • Our fans to demand the sacking of Lyon and the resignation of Bassat
  • Our club to remain alive and powerless for other clubs to enjoy beating as they have through our history

campaigners. Every last one of them. Paid to say anything they can to destabilise our club.

I'm not saying the points those pundits raised aren't valid, I agree with the response on this board that most is correct, but the phrasing of the headlines and the battery of attacks is no accident.

They and their bosses want:

• Star players to be unattracted to moving here
  • Our best players to consider moving away
  • Our fans to drop off
  • Our fans to demand the sacking of Lyon and the resignation of Bassat
  • Our club to remain alive and powerless for other clubs to enjoy beating as they have through our history

They deserve to be under pressure. Our year of exploration is turning into our decade of confusion.

When you go from finals to bottom 4 and talk up losing good players while attracting no-one it's embarrassing. "Hey guys, let's lose Josh Battle and chase Butts and Lobb" and they wonder why they get criticised.

Horrible game style, depressing list management and no obvious hope for the future is very hard to swallow and they should come under scrutiny for it. If they can't make this turn around next year the whole club should be under extreme pressure and if they fail they all should go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back