News 2024 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

They deserve to be under pressure. Our year of exploration is turning into our decade of confusion.

When you go from finals to bottom 4 and talk up losing good players while attracting no-one it's embarrassing. "Hey guys, let's lose Josh Battle and chase Butts and Lobb" and they wonder why they get criticised.

Horrible game style, depressing list management and no obvious hope for the future is very hard to swallow and they should come under scrutiny for it. If they can't make this turn around next year the whole club should be under extreme pressure and if they fail they all should go.
I thought that was something we made up here.

They deserve to be under pressure. Our year of exploration is turning into our decade of confusion.

When you go from finals to bottom 4 and talk up losing good players while attracting no-one it's embarrassing. "Hey guys, let's lose Josh Battle and chase Butts and Lobb" and they wonder why they get criticised.

Horrible game style, depressing list management and no obvious hope for the future is very hard to swallow and they should come under scrutiny for it. If they can't make this turn around next year the whole club should be under extreme pressure and if they fail they all should go.

was just wondering who from the ib has come out and said "hey, let lose battle and chase Lobb and Butts" ? lmao

also, you have banged on over and over AND over about the need to hit the draft, now its happening your opposed to it.

i swear, youvare the kane Cornes of St kilda bigfooty...

watch out for those shadows....scary ;)

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

You've put together a word cloud from random internet posts, misattributed them to people working at the club while rolling the performances of ex-emplyees into the assessment of current staff.

I thought that was something we made up here.
it was....

it started as

"adelaide has heaps of key depth" - few posters

to

"club would be doing their due diligence on a few of them" - stav

to

"we are selling battle for a 4th rounder and getting Butts, AND NOW IM YELLING AT THE CLOUDS" - gringo2011 (maybe)

This year of shit football is going cost us in the long run.

We can kiss goodbye prime time footy goodbye. That makes it harder to attract money into the club.

We are in a crowded market to attract players. What is our point of difference as a club?

We don't have marquee games attracting large crowds.
We aren't a competitive top 8-10 side.
We don't get the prime time fixtures.
We don't play in finals.

"Come join a bottom 4 side and play 4.40 Sunday twilight in front of an empty stadium" isn't attractive.

This year is classic St Kilda shooting itself in the foot.

was just wondering who from the ib has come out and said "hey, let lose battle and chase Lobb and Butts" ? lmao

also, you have banged on over and over AND over about the need to hit the draft, now its happening your opposed to it.

i swear, youvare the kane Cornes of St kilda bigfooty...

watch out for those shadows....scary ;)

We have been hitting the draft and will continue to. What we shouldn't do is lose players over $50k in a dick stretch off when no-one wants to come and losing him will make us even more unattractive.

I was saying not to chase guys like Hill and Howard when we were losing a generation of players like Stuv, Roberton etc and we moved on a bunch of GOPs to bring in very slight upgrades at the cost of a couple of drafts. If you are still trying to justify that shit you're a sycophant that has no standards.

List building is a cycle. We have to nail picks and continue bringing in draft picks with our first and second rounders unless an absolute top talent comes up. Use later picks and free agency/ delisted FAs etc and built up the mid career group to stay competitive while trying to pick of a star in a trade.

Once you have built up your youth you should also slow down the bulk turn over and start trying to condense picks to higher quality ones. That's where the interstate clubs with picks higher than their academy kids are an opportunity.

List building isn't complicated and doesn't need high risk gambles.

That's not really the point I'm making, but sure

You've put together a word cloud from random internet posts, misattributed them to people working at the club while rolling the performances of ex-emplyees into the assessment of current staff.

Stav claims to be ITK and seems to have links to the club. Was right about Gresham and most other future trades we ended up doing. Who are the ex employees?

campaigners. Every last one of them. Paid to say anything they can to destabilise our club.

I'm not saying the points those pundits raised aren't valid, I agree with the response on this board that most is correct, but the phrasing of the headlines and the battery of attacks is no accident.

They and their bosses want:

• Star players to be unattracted to moving here
  • Our best players to consider moving away
  • Our fans to drop off
  • Our fans to demand the sacking of Lyon and the resignation of Bassat
  • Our club to remain alive and powerless for other clubs to enjoy beating as they have through our history
I think the "Hard Truth" piece is reasonable enough.

Unless it's a different interview I think that was Guy McKenna. At least, he was saying the same stuff on the Whately show minus Whately. It was very reassuring.
Apologies - it could have been. I came in a little way through it, and I thought it sounded like Hoyne. He often deals with the stats side of things, is pretty measured and is not a doomsdayer.
You are probably correct though.

We can kiss goodbye prime time footy goodbye. That makes it harder to attract money into the club.

We are in a crowded market to attract players. What is our point of difference as a club?

We don't play in finals.

"Come join a bottom 4 side and play 4.40 Sunday twilight in front of an empty stadium" isn't attractive.

We have style, we don’t need to win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mods, I keep getting alerts for new posts on the Sydney board. I've never posted there. Can you stop it please.

Funnily enough, we (mods) had the same thing happen in May, with the Swans board. It's tied to watched forums, there's something funky with how that links, but simply checking that and unwatching should solve the problem.

I'm not saying anything specific, but suffice to say, our problem back then was directly attributed to;
Swans mod getting a change enacted to do their job properly.
Admin changing a setting to fix it.
Every mod suddenly watching the Swans forum and posting bugs gifs among updates.

Ours was a profile setting and group instance, so isolated change, on something that may effect the board, it may effect others. As such;

For anyone effected by random alerts en mass from a location they have never visited or do not subscribe to, check your "watched" listing, as you may have been accidentally subscribed to things.

As eg on our issues, I noticed immediately, unwatched, saw the issues, Chief was trying fixes and I was not effected, those that unwatched later were similarly effected on testing instances. This is to say, being proactive on a "change" where you know it to be wrong, can be ultimately beneficial to spend that 5 minutes going "I know this setting, let me check.." or "why do I have 70 alerts from the Swan board, let me look..".

We don't play in finals.

100% I couldnt agree more. We have had plenty of poor years over our history, but I cant remember the Saints people I know ever being so disinterested in the manner the club are playing. People on here can deny it all they like, but even the greater AFL & media believe we are a shocking team to watch and commentate on.

We lost last Sundays game by 2 points because of Lyon's super flood and Ports inability to score. That said we might aswell lost it by 60 points with the style of football and lack of excitement and urgency from our players. Port are in shocking form the worst they have played in years and we still couldnt look like we were going to or deserved to win that game.

If Lyon thinks he is doing the club and players a solid by coaching the honourable losses he is sadly mistaken. All the supporters I know would much rather see the club roll the dice and play with some freedom and excitement we know they are capable of. If that means we get a few touch ups then so be it, at least we will see our players enjoying their footy and the kids improving. AFL football is a media product, a business and if the coach is asking his group to play an unwatchable or unatttractive style he is ignorantly destroying any interest or creed the club earned last year.

Until we are financially independent of the AFL we remain the competition beggars. HTF is that going to change when we get 16k to our home games? All supporters including St Kilda's simply dont turn up to watch the rubbish we are dishing up.

100% I couldnt agree more. We have had plenty of poor years over our history, but I cant remember the Saints people I know ever being so disinterested in the manner the club are playing. People on here can deny it all they like, but even the greater AFL & media believe we are a shocking team to watch and commentate on.

We lost last Sundays game by 2 points because of Lyon's super flood and Ports inability to score. That said we might aswell lost it by 60 points with the style of football and lack of excitement and urgency from our players. Port are in shocking form the worst they have played in years and we still couldnt look like we were going to or deserved to win that game.

If Lyon thinks he is doing the club and players a solid by coaching the honourable losses he is sadly mistaken. All the supporters I know would much rather see the club roll the dice and play with some freedom and excitement we know they are capable of. If that means we get a few touch ups then so be it, at least we will see our players enjoying their footy and the kids improving. AFL football is a media product, a business and if the coach is asking his group to play an unwatchable or unatttractive style he is ignorantly destroying any interest or creed the club earned last year.

Until we are financially independent of the AFL we remain the competition beggars. HTF is that going to change when we get 16k to our home games? All supporters including St Kilda's simply dont turn up to watch the rubbish we are dishing up.
There is nothing showing that could possibly see us get back up the ladder. No standout performances, coach getting out-coached in many games, and just too many players not playing to their full potential, and that is the big worry. Seems like the natural football skills and flair of a number of players are being squashed and instead some kind of dumb defensive game style that will cause us to stagnate. It's laughable that we are in this state

We average 2.6 less i50s per game than Carlton and 1.3 less than Collingwood and 0.6 less than Freo .... all currently in the top 6 of the ladder .... all with significantly better midfields than ours

Where is this evidence of a superflood?

Clearly you never lived through the 80s

campaigners. Every last one of them. Paid to say anything they can to destabilise our club.

I'm not saying the points those pundits raised aren't valid, I agree with the response on this board that most is correct, but the phrasing of the headlines and the battery of attacks is no accident.

• Our fans to drop off
  • Our club to remain alive and powerless for other clubs to enjoy beating as they have through our history
Is the media bashing really unwarranted though? Which club has had a more disappointing year than us? I can't think of one.

Not only can we not win, we are playing a brand of footy that is completely unwatchable. We deserve to be getting flamed.

• Our fans to drop off
1000% this.

Funnily enough, we (mods) had the same thing happen in May, with the Swans board. It's tied to watched forums, there's something funky with how that links, but simply checking that and unwatching should solve the problem.

I'm not saying anything specific, but suffice to say, our problem back then was directly attributed to;
Swans mod getting a change enacted to do their job properly.
Admin changing a setting to fix it.
Every mod suddenly watching the Swans forum and posting bugs gifs among updates.

Ours was a profile setting and group instance, so isolated change, on something that may effect the board, it may effect others. As such;

For anyone effected by random alerts en mass from a location they have never visited or do not subscribe to, check your "watched" listing, as you may have been accidentally subscribed to things.

As eg on our issues, I noticed immediately, unwatched, saw the issues, Chief was trying fixes and I was not effected, those that unwatched later were similarly effected on testing instances. This is to say, being proactive on a "change" where you know it to be wrong, can be ultimately beneficial to spend that 5 minutes going "I know this setting, let me check.." or "why do I have 70 alerts from the Swan board, let me look..".
Thanks

I agree to some extent with this, but l want to ask what do you mean by "turn it around"?
Is it win/loss, game style, vibe or all of the above?
I'm running on the assumption we don't attract a real meaningful trade target and will only have organic growth to really on.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back