News 2024 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

#SaintsSeptember.
I think we'd be surprised re Byrnes. I would think his stock price would be on the up. As for Collard, I think it had more to do with his VFL attitude from what I've read on here. Collard can obviously play a bit and has a knack for getting amongst the goals, but he seems to pick and choose his moments. I'm glad we've signed him as it shows trust on both sides, but I thought 3 years was one year too many.

Agree. Seems far more likely to add value to our team the next 3 years than Collard, who we just gifted 3 years despite a deplorable 1st year.
Not sure Collard was as bad as you're making out. Led Sandringhams goal kicking as an 18yo playing a very tough position. Can see the logic in giving him time.

Personally would've given Byrnes and Stocker two. Stocker played injured for much of the campaign this year, and at worst is good depth. Byrne's showed some good signs after the bye. He's improving year in year.
Neither would cost much.

Agree completely. A little disappointed to be honest.

You come across as having a chip on your shoulder or just super quick to write people off to be honest.

Clearly Collard is finding his way still in the AFL but he also showed a lot of talent in his first 12 months.

He looks like he has enough talent to be a good AFL standard small forward but he needs to work hard over the off season to have more of an impact for us at AFL level next year and to make up for that stupid suspension that he copped this year.

He looks like he has enough talent to be a good AFL standard small forward but he needs to work hard over the off season to have more of an impact for us at AFL level next year and to make up for that stupid suspension that he copped this year.

His stupid suspension may end up being the making of him.

Since that incident he’s been at the club staying involved, pictured on numerous occasions looking very happy, posted positive vibes on his Instagram and now signed a multi year extension to his contract, even though many thought he’d be back in WA at the first opportunity.

His regrettable actions may have directly lead to a bit of self reflection and some growing up.

I can’t wait to see what he can do in 2025.

#SaintsSeptember.
I think we'd be surprised re Byrnes. I would think his stock price would be on the up. As for Collard, I think it had more to do with his VFL attitude from what I've read on here. Collard can obviously play a bit and has a knack for getting amongst the goals, but he seems to pick and choose his moments. I'm glad we've signed him as it shows trust on both sides, but I thought 3 years was one year too many.

Shit... i can't remember what i said last week.. let alone then, but it was good that i convinced you.
And yeah they gave him 3 years. Yep i agree with me, 2 years would have been perfect.
Byrnes i like, but i don't think he's someone other teams would poach.

Shit... i can't remember what i said last week.. let alone then, but it was good that i convinced you.
And yeah they gave him 3 years. Yep i agree with me, 2 years would have been perfect.
Byrnes has improved every year he has been at the club and is now one of our best endurance runners.
Goddard mentioned at the start of the year who impressed him the most during preseason and he said it was Byrnes , knowing this and only just turning 23 the guy could easily have more upside knowing a lot of kids need to get the body strength before they really becoming comfortable.
Comparing him to Billing I would have him any day of the week because you know the effort will be put in.

Byrnes has improved every year he has been at the club and is now one of our best endurance runners.
Goddard mentioned at the start of the year who impressed him the most during preseason and he said it was Byrnes , knowing this and only just turning 23 the guy could easily have more upside knowing a lot of kids need to get the body strength before they really becoming comfortable.
Comparing him to Billing I would have him any day of the week because you know the effort will be put in.

I'm not saying he's bad.
I have him ahead of the likes of Stocker and Dow.
No-one has a team full of superstars, and Byrnes is ticking all the boxes to have a good career in AFL.

Wouldn't have thought it with guys like Bytel either, yet there he is largely spudding it up for last year's premiers 🤷🏼‍♂️ God knows what goes through recruitment and list managers heads, they're all cracked 😄

Wouldn't have thought it with guys like Bytel either, yet there he is largely spudding it up for last year's premiers 🤷🏼‍♂️ God knows what goes through recruitment and list managers heads, they're all cracked 😄

That was the job he got when we sacked him wasn't it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should’ve got 2.
Has improved outta sight, and no reason he won’t continue to.
Keeps them hungry I suppose.

#SaintsSeptember.
I think with Collard there's likely an element of stamping out the go home talk/pressure.
From the outside I'd say there's a maturity issue and a lack of preparedness for AFL life and the club has decided to wrap its arms around him, and in so doing let him focus on getting himself professional.

I think with Collard there's likely an element of stamping out the go home talk/pressure.
From the outside I'd say there's a maturity issue and a lack of preparedness for AFL life and the club has decided to wrap its arms around him, and in so doing let him focus on getting himself professional.
Yep, Byrnes and Collard are different people in different situations.
It doesn't worry me that we haven't applied a formulaic approach to them.

#SaintsSeptember.
Collard was actually only a 2 year extension.

You come across as having a chip on your shoulder or just super quick to write people off to be honest.

Clearly Collard is finding his way still in the AFL but he also showed a lot of talent in his first 12 months.
Mate he was terrible. Didn’t want to be there.
If I was coach I would have hooked him.

I have not written him off completely, although if I am honest I absolutely think the bust probability is very high.

Has done nothing to deserve a 3 year contract. Its a poor look IMO given his body language during games and his recent homophobic misdemeanours.

Not really the sort of standards I think we should be setting. I would be annoyed if I was somebody like Byrnes who works his backside off and does the right things.

As for writing people off, there are only 3 players on our list I routinely have a crack at. King, Collard and Bonner.

They all have the same trait. Poor effort and body language at times. It's a team sport, you owe it to your mates to be engaged and positive.

Collards body language at times this year was beyond poor. Why is he been rewarded? It's a poor message to the rest of the playing group.

Congrats to Jimmy Webster getting a contract extension.

Favourite Tassie Saint.

He's the only decent thing to come out of the Richo era.

I follow him on insta. He’s never coming home. His life look amazing there
Just had a look. It's going to be 2040 and those boys are gonna quarterback a ****ing Super Bowl, and we'll still be here praying that Jack Steele's 14 year old son is a half decent AFL footballer.

I have not written him off completely, although if I am honest I absolutely think the bust probability is very high.
Has done nothing to deserve a 3 year contract. Its a poor look IMO given his body language during games and his recent homophobic misdemeanours.
Not really the sort of standards I think we should be setting. I would be annoyed if I was somebody like Byrnes who works his backside off and does the right things.
As for writing people off, there are only 3 players on our list I routinely have a crack at. King, Collard and Bonner.
They all have the same trait. Poor effort and body language at times. It's a team sport, you owe it to your mates to be engaged and positive.
Collards body language at times this year was beyond poor. Why is he been rewarded? It's a poor message to the rest of the playing group.

I agree some of his body language this year was like a petulant child, but I wonder if its a maturity thing with Lance. I dont know what his WA life was like, but there is a reasonable chance he didnt have a lot of adult role models. The club have backed themselves and Lance to get things working so Im sure we will see a very different kid playing in the future.

I'm not saying he's bad.
I have him ahead of the likes of Stocker and Dow.
No-one has a team full of superstars, and Byrnes is ticking all the boxes to have a good career in AFL.

He’s become trustworthy now for me, and I reckon his teammates will be feeling the same way.

Works hard to be another body in defence, uses the ball well in transition and shows composure going inside 50.

Could still be more impactful in the clinches and on the scoreboard. That snap against Carlton needs to become more regular.

But he’s starting to flesh out a reasonable skill set to make himself a best 22 player.

Will always be feeling the pressure of incoming draft talent unless he starts averaging over a goal a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

News 2024 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back