VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Caiden Cleary and Angus Sheldrick impressed in Sydney's five-point loss to Brisbane on Saturday.

Cleary (21 disposals, nine tackles and a goal) and Sheldrick (26, eight clearances and a goal) made their mark in the defeat.

Jaiden Magor had 24 touches, Aaron Francis had 22 and Peter Ladhams had 20 and kicked two goals.

Joel Hamling was unable to make the most of his chances, kicking 1.4 from 19 disposals.

Caleb Mitchell (18 disposals and a goal), Lachlan McAndrew (six, 26 hitouts and seven tackles) and Sam Wicks (17 and six clearances) were solid contributors.

Sam Reid kicked two goals.

Caiden Cleary and Angus Sheldrick impressed in Sydney's five-point loss to Brisbane on Saturday.

Cleary (21 disposals, nine tackles and a goal) and Sheldrick (26, eight clearances and a goal) made their mark in the defeat.

Jaiden Magor had 24 touches, Aaron Francis had 22 and Peter Ladhams had 20 and kicked two goals.

Joel Hamling was unable to make the most of his chances, kicking 1.4 from 19 disposals.

Caleb Mitchell (18 disposals and a goal), Lachlan McAndrew (six, 26 hitouts and seven tackles) and Sam Wicks (17 and six clearances) were solid contributors.

Sam Reid kicked two goals.

The official AFL stats show Gus had 29 + 9 clearances.
It was a reasonably solid display …. just a shame about that final shot at goal.
He’s on the way back.

Cleary was outstanding in the first quarter. He faded a bit after that. I believe he played a fair bit on Lyons - which would be good experience for him.

Magor had a good game - but he needs to string a few of those together.

Francis was solid as always - but his lack of pace will always be a limitation.

Sid was a bit quiet.

Wicks spent time in the mids & up forward, but didn’t stand out. It was just a kinda ok-ish game.

Edwards & Vickery were just ok. Ditto Kirk.

Ladhams went all Begbie from Trainspotting & probably cost us the game (shame as he had a decent game apart from that).

McAndrew rucked ok, but wasn’t effective around the ground. Green was completely unsighted for most of the game.

Hamling had chances but sprayed them. Reid wasn’t dominant.

I wouldn’t say anybody screamed “pick me” for the seniors.

Last edited:
Sheldrick missing that goal yesterday from 35 out, very slight angle sums up where he is at. Third year on the list, lots of injuries and has been overtaken by a few in the pecking order. We will make him an offer but unlikely to match anything bigger from a rival unless he absolutely tears it up in the remaining VFL (or AFL) games. Interestingly, Devon Robertson, another WA player struggling to cement a first team spot was playing yesterday. Could him and Gus be future team mates at WCE?

Sheldrick missing that goal yesterday from 35 out, very slight angle sums up where he is at. Third year on the list, lots of injuries and has been overtaken by a few in the pecking order. We will make him an offer but unlikely to match anything bigger from a rival unless he absolutely tears it up in the remaining VFL (or AFL) games. Interestingly, Devon Robertson, another WA player struggling to cement a first team spot was playing yesterday. Could him and Gus be future team mates at WCE?

We can't afford to lose players like Shedrick as our depth is very poor. We have had one or two injuries and suddenly our depth is being tested. We need guys like Sheldrick as you can't get through an AFL season hoping for no injuries.

We can't afford to lose players like Shedrick as our depth is very poor. We have had one or two injuries and suddenly our depth is being tested. We need guys like Sheldrick as you can't get through an AFL season hoping for no injuries.
I agree. But if WCE come after him with a decent offer, I don't think he's done enough for us to match, especially with the looming Chad mega contract. Can't keep them all unfortunately.

I agree. But if WCE come after him with a decent offer, I don't think he's done enough for us to match, especially with the looming Chad mega contract. Can't keep them all unfortunately.

We can't get rid of every player not in the immediate best 22 though. Doing that is why our depth is shite. I really think we should have kept players like Ryan Clarke and Daniel Menzel. Neither are world beaters but they were good enough when we had a few injuries.

Will be surprised if we let him go. Reckon we'll still play the long game with him. Giving him the number 12 jumper was significant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked to me like more than “35m out on a very slight angle”. And it was blowing a gale across the ground, which didn’t help set shot kicking.

After quarter time Brisbane were far superior in pretty much every facet of the game. Certainly running, marking, kicking and handballing. It seems remarkable that we had the chance to win that late. Sheldrick’s groundball work was one of the reasons we were still in with a shot. Bad misses by Hamling, Ladhams (and others), plus the ability of of defence to allow Brisbane a three to one outnumber in front of their goal on several occasions, were the bigger problems.

Looked to me like more than “35m out on a very slight angle”. And it was blowing a gale across the ground, which didn’t help set shot kicking.

After quarter time Brisbane were far superior in pretty much every facet of the game. Certainly running, marking, kicking and handballing. It seems remarkable that we had the chance to win that late. Sheldrick’s groundball work was one of the reasons we were still in with a shot. Bad misses by Hamling, Ladhams (and others), plus the ability of of defence to allow Brisbane a three to one outnumber in front of their goal on several occasions, were the bigger problems.
100% if people were listening there was a point in the second i believe where we lost the commentary for a minute or two as the gusts of wind were so large that all their papers and everything was everywhere in the comm box. Balls were overkicked all the time in that game going from the far side to the near side which was the direction that Sheldricks shot fell away in the end

I beg to differ on where the kick was but the wind was an issue.

Agree it wasn't really his fault with plenty of bad kicking prior.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240721_103119_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240721_103119_Chrome.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 18
“midfielder misses shot at goal - therefore must be traded”

(sorry, I know that’s unfairly snarky … but deep down, I’m worried you might be right about the bigger offer from WC part).

“midfielder misses shot at goal - therefore must be traded”

(sorry, I know that’s unfairly snarky … but deep down, I’m worried you might be right about the bigger offer from WC part).
I don't want him traded. I think he's very promising. But if I was WCE, I'd be putting in a very competitive offer which we all know would be hard to match.

Will be surprised if we let him go. Reckon we'll still play the long game with him. Giving him the number 12 jumper was significant.
Parker's contract ends in 2025. Same as Sheldrick. Hopefully Sheldrick will be knocking the door down or already in the side.

Last edited:
Both under contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back