VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Weird game.

For the second week in a row it felt like we showed what we can do when we are on song, winning the pill more than the opposition and taking the game on. And for the second week in a row, we just didn't do it often enough, for long enough.

Cleary and Magor the best of an okay bunch, Reid is going well, Ladhams was actually impressing me with his efforts until Groundhog Day.

Just lacked composure in the front half. Poor connection between the mids and forwards going inside 50 and then poor conversion once we were having our shots at goal. Can't be playing like that against a quality side like Brisbane and expect to win. That we got within a goal suggests it was a reasonable afternoon for a group that is having real trouble clicking this year.

Sheldrick has to be kicking those, followed his previous shocker.

Probably didn’t deserve to win anyway. Great start but the last three quarters a bit to be desired at times.
I think the miss was predictable surely no one really expected him to kick it.

Lloyd is probably someone to keep in mind for a rookie spot in the future when our list spots aren't as tight. Has been performing well every game and able to regularly kick goals.
It's a real shame that the AFL has stuck with the COVID list sizes. Every team that has injury problems is struggling and if you have a strong list like us it's difficult to fit development players. I know there are arguments about stretching the talent too thin and the cost etc etc but really these are the least expensive players. The smaller list forces clubs to go for "proven" recycled players instead of genuine rookies.

Weird game.

For the second week in a row it felt like we showed what we can do when we are on song, winning the pill more than the opposition and taking the game on. And for the second week in a row, we just didn't do it often enough, for long enough.

Cleary and Magor the best of an okay bunch, Reid is going well, Ladhams was actually impressing me with his efforts until Groundhog Day.

Just lacked composure in the front half. Poor connection between the mids and forwards going inside 50 and then poor conversion once we were having our shots at goal. Can't be playing like that against a quality side like Brisbane and expect to win. That we got within a goal suggests it was a reasonable afternoon for a group that is having real trouble clicking this year.
I was really hyped after Cleary’s first quarter - but once Brisbane paid him close attention, his output dropped sharply.

Overall, I thought it was one of our better efforts - in tough conditions they finally looked to have some semblance of cohesion.

It's a real shame that the AFL has stuck with the COVID list sizes. Every team that has injury problems is struggling and if you have a strong list like us it's difficult to fit development players. I know there are arguments about stretching the talent too thin and the cost etc etc but really these are the least expensive players. The smaller list forces clubs to go for "proven" recycled players instead of genuine rookies.
List sizes are actually dumb that even with 0 injuries you can't actually have a 1st and 2nd side without VFL top ups. Should be a list size of like 50 with 40 main contracts and 10 rookies imo. Let clubs take more risks with raw players to develop them etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was really hyped after Cleary’s first quarter - but once Brisbane paid him close attention, his output dropped sharply.

Overall, I thought it was one of our better efforts - in tough conditions they finally looked to have some semblance of cohesion.
Was kinda hard to judge them on much besides the first quarter. After that it was sort of just a slow descent into more of the same.

Would be surprised if we let Francis go given McCartin and Melican’s injury history, and Rampe’s age. Especially if Hamling is playing forward and is now listed as a key forward on the Swans site. Hopefully Snell and Edwards come through but not sure I’d want to rely on that next year.

Watched from 2nd quarter, which is unfortunate because we were shocking from that point. Just aimless bombing into F50 coupled with poor finishing. We also struggled to defend the drop of the ball when it came into defence and overall just lacked Brisbane's run.

Cleary was strong in tight. Magor busy. Ladhams good. The rest were all fairly anonymous.

must have missed Ladham's brain explosion when I got up to get lunch.......

I think the miss was predictable surely no one really expected him to kick it.
I certainly don't expect ANY of our listed players to kick for a win.
I just hope the games are well won so it doesn't need to come down to that.

Go back to the Port game last year when Mills started celebrating after Florent's kick.
We have no idea on how to win like that.

Oh and Matthew Lloyd has probably been our most consistent player over the last month or so. Just pops up and has really nice moments fairly regularly.
Is he related to Jake? Vaguely remember him having a brother that missed getting drafted.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back