VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Where were whoever of Ladhams, McAndrews and Green weren't rucking playing?

I take it that Magor started back and moved into the midfield in the second half. Any comments about his performance?

Disappointing to let so many goals and behinds in with a pretty good backline including 6 AFL listed defenders.

Was Mitchell playing on-ball?

I think all three spent some time in the ruck and rested at full forward. So we had a tall forward line with Reid and Buller spending time there. Konstanty was usually half forward. Vfl 56 (maybe moimoi?) and Morrison also seemed to be playing forward.

Magor seemed to be playing half back initially. So I did not notice him a lot. There was a moment where he did go for a bit of a run off half back but got caught.

2nd half magor seemed to be playing midfield. I thought he was trying to be positive in attack but it did not come off. He almost took a great mark in the forward 50 and had a few attacking passes almost led to chances.

Defence were in a hard situation because we could not keep possession so at times we were stuck in our own half. And at other times we were caught on the rebound so our tall backine had to chase their quicker forwards running into space.

So we had a tall forward and back line. And our best running mids warner mitchell and sheldrick came off during the game. Which probably contributed to the situation we were in.

I think mitchell might have come off early in the 2nd quarter. So i did not see a lot of him. Might have been wing but can't say for certain. I saw warner also at times lining up at half forward before he came off.

Well, that was the last of our official practice matches - unless they've got something unofficial planned, our next game will be Round 1 vs Coburg on Sunday March 24

Remaining practice matches:

THURSDAY, MARCH 14
Richmond v Carlton (Swinburne Centre, 4:00pm, 4x25min)

FRIDAY, MARCH 15
Collingwood v Port Melbourne (Victoria Park, 4:00pm, 4x23min)

SATURDAY, MARCH 16
GWS Giants v Southport Sharks (Tom Wills Oval, 11:15am, 4x25min)
Casey Demons v Coburg (Casey Fields, 12:00pm, 4x25min)
Footscray Bulldogs v Werribee (VU Whitten Oval, 1:00pm, 4x25min)
Geelong Cats v Sandringham (Deakin University Waurn Ponds, 2:00pm, 4x25min)
Essendon v Box Hill Hawks (NEC Hangar, 4:00pm, 4x25min)

Magor seemed to be playing half back initially. So I did not notice him a lot. There was a moment where he did go for a bit of a run off half back but got caught.

2nd half magor seemed to be playing midfield. I thought he was trying to be positive in attack but it did not come off. He almost took a great mark in the forward 50 and had a few attacking passes almost led to chances.
Thanks for the updates/insights SeanM, much appreciated. :thumbsu:

I hope we use Magor further up the ground this season
He came to us as a fwd/mid and I'm not sure that he offered enough from HB last season to say that he will prosper there long term.

I think all three spent some time in the ruck and rested at full forward. So we had a tall forward line with Reid and Buller spending time there. Konstanty was usually half forward. Vfl 56 (maybe moimoi?) and Morrison also seemed to be playing forward.

Defence were in a hard situation because we could not keep possession so at times we were stuck in our own half. And at other times we were caught on the rebound so our tall backine had to chase their quicker forwards running into space.

So we had a tall forward and back line. And our best running mids warner mitchell and sheldrick came off during the game. Which probably contributed to the situation we were in.

I think mitchell might have come off early in the 2nd quarter. So i did not see a lot of him. Might have been wing but can't say for certain. I saw warner also at times lining up at half forward before he came off.
Sounds like we had Reid, Buller and at least one of Ladhams / McAndrew / Green running in our forward line and Hamling / Francis / Hamling / Snell in defence (Arnold injured). That's alot of tall timber and I'd imagine, an unbalanced side.

Are we obliged to play all our AFL listed players in the VFL or can we pick a best 22 from all available to play VFL? If for example we didn't want to play 3 rucks and left McAndrew or Green out, can they play in the Sydney competition? Just not sure if it's good for the development of our list to have players playing out of position and the team getting flogged.

I did not mind them using the 3 rucks. I feel Green and McAndrew are still going to benefit from sharing time during the game as a ruck. And develop other skills by resting forward. I feel they would get more out of playing VFL with the rest of the list. And whoever replaced them from the VFL squad is unlikely to make a huge difference.

I think we were always going to struggle when we lost our best mids. Our reserve team is usually like that, where at certain points of the season we lose key listed players in a particular area.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't like how much later the VFL seasons starts than the AFL season. We'll have played 3 matches before the VFL boys get a chance to prove themselves
For one they don't have the grounds due to cricket and fair enough , you sound like someone that hates opening round .
Also AFL seasons keep getting earlier . Move on

Good to see a couple of the VFL squad players play in the AFL Sydney U22's win against Canberra yesterday afternoon - Hugo Birks (16), Koby Grass (12) and Hamish Morrison (18)

Birks kicked 4 goals, Grass kicked 1

Replay:

(NB. feed cut out after an hour...)

I didn't realise Morrison was so young! Feels like he's been playing with our reserves team for years. And maybe he has, and he was just 17 or 18 years old when he started.

I didn't realise Morrison was so young! Feels like he's been playing with our reserves team for years. And maybe he has, and he was just 17 or 18 years old when he started.
Hamish is rustycrate's nephew, born 6 September 2004.
I'd guess he's only played 2 or 3 games for the reserves.

Harry Morrison (7 Sept 2008) has been a small fwd stalwart for the reserves for a number of years.

Both are on our reserves list for the year.
Harry on the primary list and Hamish on the development list. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back