VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

unfortunately something you've got to get used to with following the VFL. It's not the best ran competition in the land and most clubs don't give a s**t.
Maybe because it seems it is irrelevant. The VFL is irrelevant in its current format. The AFL obviously does not value it in its current form. Why?

What would make it relevant besides developing players for the ones?

I want to watch the ressies. I want to see the players develop. I want to know where they are playing in praccy games. I want to know who has been signed and not signed each year. I want to know the player numbers so when I watch a game I know who is who.

The club and the VFL know this information. Why is it so hard to disseminate this information in a timely reliable fashion in appropriate places. People need to know this information so that they can go along and support the team and ultimately the club and the players.

Why is this so hard?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow… that is dire.
Maybe. Would need to see the team lists to properly assess.

Brisbane have had a very strong VFL (and NEAFL) side for many years now. It’s been aided by their effective (and/or lucky) injury management across the whole squad.

We have a lot of new players in our VFL squad this year and it will take them time to gell. Take out the likes of Ladhams, Corey Warner, Roberts, Sheldrick, Mitchell (who are all playing this evening) and that doesn’t leave much experience or continuity in the engine room.

Even at AFL level, small differences in the quality of two teams can sometimes balloon out to big margins. At VFL level, where the differences in team quality are often greater, those big margins aren’t uncommon.

I did not see the whole match. Brisbane are a quality vfl side. They could keep possession with their short kicking, were clean with their skills and even on slow plays had talls who could take contested marks in their attacking 50.

From what I saw of the first half. We tried hard. But Brisbane were in control and we struggled to generate any inside 50s. Our best period was most of the 3rd quarter where we were camped in our attacking half, kicked 2 goals but created a few other chances. Brisbane goals in the 3rd quarter were out the back on the rebound. 4th quarter Brisbane were back in control.

Our listed players that I saw Snell Vickery mcandrew green cleary kirk Buller konstanty Reid. I don't think Arnold, magor, and Edwards played.

Our 3 goals. Reid wins a ground ball contest against his defender and has a quick dribbling shot at goal from 30m out at an angle. Green judges the drop of high kick and marks it on his chest and converts set shot from 40m directly in front. Vfl player gets fouled in the goal square and kicks the goal directly in front.

I thought our best player was Reid. His mobility and aerial ability meant he could get to our under pressure clearing kicks and take a mark or bring the ball to ground. Konstanty looked OK at half forward and midfield. Seemed to be getting himself involved ,was clean with his hands and trying to link up with other players. Not familiar with our vfl players but 56 or 57 (maybe endemann?) played well in midfield, was winning contested ball, moved really well and looked quite athletic. Morrison also seemed to do OK with his composure.

I did not see the whole match. Brisbane are a quality vfl side. They could keep possession with their short kicking, were clean with their skills and even on slow plays had talls who could take contested marks in their attacking 50.

From what I saw of the first half. We tried hard. But Brisbane were in control and we struggled to generate any inside 50s. Our best period was most of the 3rd quarter where we were camped in our attacking half, kicked 2 goals but created a few other chances. Brisbane goals in the 3rd quarter were out the back on the rebound. 4th quarter Brisbane were back in control.

Our listed players that I saw Snell Vickery mcandrew green cleary kirk Buller konstanty Reid. I don't think Arnold, magor, and Edwards played.

Our 3 goals. Reid wins a ground ball contest against his defender and has a quick dribbling shot at goal from 30m out at an angle. Green judges the drop of high kick and marks it on his chest and converts set shot from 40m directly in front. Vfl player gets fouled in the goal square and kicks the goal directly in front.

I thought our best player was Reid. His mobility and aerial ability meant he could get to our under pressure clearing kicks and take a mark or bring the ball to ground. Konstanty looked OK at half forward and midfield. Seemed to be getting himself involved ,was clean with his hands and trying to link up with other players. Not familiar with our vfl players but 56 or 57 (maybe endemann?) played well in midfield, was winning contested ball, moved really well and looked quite athletic. Morrison also seemed to do OK with his composure.
Thanks for the report SeanM!

I thought they might struggle with all of Melican, Hamling and Edwards out for tonight, as well as Francis and (presumably) Arnold out injured.

I wonder if they rested Magor, or are using him as an emergency for tonight?

Very liberal use of the word "comeback" in the title there.

EDIT: just adding an additional thought. Thanks for the report there Sean M and based on your numbers, we went from 17 listed players in the VFL last week to only 9 today. And that's how you have a 180 point turnaround from one game to the next.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back