VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think there is any benefit in Braeden Campbell playing out the season in the reserves to gain form. It just seems a different experience to playing in the seniors.

It makes it hard to judge individual players on reserves form. Even if we had Mills out there, he may have struggled. I would be tempted to select Konstanty as a sub for the AFL side to see how he performs within the senior team structure.

Honestly would rather our reserves coach be a player who's recently retired and has aspirations to become a senior coach. Grind away for a couple of years until they're assistant coach ready and off they go.

Under Truslove there doesn't seem to be any form of direction and alignment with the seniors tactics.

Honestly would rather our reserves coach be a player who's recently retired and has aspirations to become a senior coach. Grind away for a couple of years until they're assistant coach ready and off they go.

Under Truslove there doesn't seem to be any form of direction and alignment with the seniors tactics.
I thought in the off-season they might have given it to Mathews or Buchanan, or even Nick Davis (although he's linked to the AFLW team)

I don't think there is any benefit in Braeden Campbell playing out the season in the reserves to gain form. It just seems a different experience to playing in the seniors.

It makes it hard to judge individual players on reserves form. Even if we had Mills out there, he may have struggled. I would be tempted to select Konstanty as a sub for the AFL side to see how he performs within the senior team structure.

Haha …, was thinking the opposite… thought Konstanty was the worst listed player and should be dropped as an example.- being facetious.

Cameron should require a detailed Truslove Report by 10am, coverings:

• Planning and preparation
  • Prep of individuals and ho this relates to their development
  • Execution f team plans
  • Assessment of each player.

I hope Reid gets through a few games and he has run around ok.

But the Reid comeback calls are nothing to with positivity.

But fair point you make

I’m an obvious Reid fan but I don’t want him selected unless injury or suspension gives him that opportunity. It’s probably too late for him to get to the point where he would be good enough to be selected. He’s not any chance of being selected. Historically the Swans have tried hard to keep the same team on the park and it usually goes hand in hand with success.

My hope and positivity is all around getting fit and healthy so that if required we don’t lose much.

His ruck work today was better than any I’ve seen from the relief rucks this year in the seniors but admittedly that’s in the VFL but it is encouraging so that’s the positivity otherwise there wasn’t much else to say about his game other than nice to see a veteran get through the game with what only looked like a bent finger at one point that he was favouring.

I’m an obvious Reid fan but I don’t want him selected unless injury or suspension gives him that opportunity. It’s probably too late for him to get to the point where he would be good enough to be selected. He’s not any chance of being selected. Historically the Swans have tried hard to keep the same team on the park and it usually goes hand in hand with success.

My hope and positivity is all around getting fit and healthy so that if required we don’t lose much.

His ruck work today was better than any I’ve seen from the relief rucks this year in the seniors but admittedly that’s in the VFL but it is encouraging so that’s the positivity otherwise there wasn’t much else to say about his game other than nice to see a veteran get through the game with what only looked like a bent finger at one point that he was favouring.

100% , would like everyone on the list fit and ready to go. Always nice to see a premiership player back and fit.

Haha …, was thinking the opposite… thought Konstanty was the worst listed player and should be dropped as an example.- being facetious.

I thought Konstanty has been ok the last few games. Showing a lot better defensive pressure but wasted opportunities to kick goals.

As a small forward, you rely a lot on delivery into the forward line. So we could put Papley into our reserve side and he probably doesn't kick many goals. Its a lot easier for an inside mid to drop down to the reserves. They are at the contest so can win their own ball.

Roberts and Fox based on previous efforts in 1's, definitely not today. Francis no way. He is the root of the disorganisation in the defence. Gets the ball ok but then when running into the wind, butchers a high risk kick, when running with, just aimlessly punts it forward and turns it over. He is the old hand in the VFL defence and needs to set up our rebound not just kick it with no purpose.

Frankly, this is embarrassing. 15 AFL listed players and we're getting our arses handed to our faces by a bunch of semi pros who are running and competing way harder and executing their skills at several levels above. Also playing to a clearly defined structure so can only assume are better coached and prepared. If this was at the top level, the coach would be out the door on Monday, followed by about a dozen players dropped to reserves at 1830 on Thursday night.
Saw the 2nd & 3rd qrs, my first VFL viewing for the year, and the above represents a very fair resume of what I saw. Wholly unimpressive.

PS Werribee supporters appeared to out number Swans supporters (once the seniors left after half time) about 2 to 1 as well!

Cameron should require a detailed Truslove Report by 10am, coverings:

• Planning and preparation
  • Prep of individuals and ho this relates to their development
  • Execution f team plans
  • Assessment of each player.
Didn't Cameron bring him over with him from the Giants? For mine the VFL coach is a role at least as important as a line or development coach. Shaw and Laidler were both excellent. It's good prep for being a head coach. It should have an assistant. This is two years now that we have been rubbish with some decent talent on the books. Only points in one direction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m assuming VFL section, gameplan etc id entirely directed by what the football department wants, and Trusslove is just acting on that.

It’d be very weird if he went all Colonel Kurtz and started running his own gameplan. You wouldn’t expect him to last long

I’m assuming VFL section, gameplan etc id entirely directed by what the football department wants, and Trusslove is just acting on that.

It’d be very weird if he went all Colonel Kurtz and started running his own gameplan. You wouldn’t expect him to last long
Sure, no doubt his hands would be tied to some extent. But his job would be to implement a match day plan compatible with the overall goals of the senior team. Watching today, their clearly wasn't even a plan so unless that is what the powers above want, some serious questions need to be addressed by Truslove.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back