VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem we have is that the coaching talent we have to draw from for our VFL side is extremely limited. Because of relocation costs, to get a coach from interstate would be financially unviable and we couldn't pay a VFL coach enough to move to Sydney anyway.

We are stuck with either trying someone who hasn't coached before, or someone who is already in Sydney. It's a time- consuming job that doesn't pay that well and leaves no space for a 2nd job.

We have to make do with what we have.

The problem we have is that the coaching talent we have to draw from for our VFL side is extremely limited. Because of relocation costs, to get a coach from interstate would be financially unviable and we couldn't pay a VFL coach enough to move to Sydney anyway.

We are stuck with either trying someone who hasn't coached before, or someone who is already in Sydney. It's a time- consuming job that doesn't pay that well and leaves no space for a 2nd job.

We have to make do with what we have.
One of the main arguments to bring COLA back is for the support staff, not the players

How about Dean Towers? Is he still coaching ES/UNSW Bulldogs? He wasn't everyone's cup of tea as a player but he's a bloody smart guy and well known around the club. Been coaching 5 years, if I'm correct, with success.
We're probably stuffed for this year but need to do better for next before we bugger up any more young players.

I loved DT. In a lot of ways Blakey is a massive upgrade on a DT. Both grab the ball and run and don't have a clue where the ball is going to end up. But it is exciting.

Liz on the tear running off half back

Frill Neck Lizard Running GIF

“The boys stuck to the game plan and mostly green results for our key performance indicators,” Truslove said.

“Unfortunately we couldn't finish our work in the forward 50. We kicked far too many behinds.”

“The boys stuck to the game plan and mostly green results for our key performance indicators,” Truslove said.

“Unfortunately we couldn't finish our work in the forward 50. We kicked far too many behinds.”

So the game plan was bombs away hope and pray?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think looking at the disposal efficiency it massively stands up that there was no game plan to move it in a controlled manner. 13 of the 22 Swans guy disposed at below 60% efficiency. Werribee had 7 under 60%. We had 13 more inside 50s and won the clearance count but still they smashed us in ball use. Also its very telling that we scored 7 rushed behinds to their 1 which shows that we were just bombing way too long inside 50 and thus not an effective entry.

Horrible, horrible game. The second and third quarters were atrocious. I agree with all the criticisms about our ball use and lack of structure. I also agree it was embarrassing we had our arse handed to us when we were fielding so many senior listed players, none of whom distringuished themselves.

If I had to nominate our best player it would have been Mitchell. He at least kept trying but really there were bugger all bright spots. Francis intercepted well but kicked the ball away, which hasn't generally been his bag. Roberts was underwhelming and even Fox wasn't that great. From the VFL listed players, Edwards and Geddes tried hard.

Watching I was thinking we should look at trying to recruit the Werribee coaches. The Werribee football manager, Ash Collins, used to work for the Swans and also spent time with the Brisbane Lions and 10 years at Collingwood. Maybe we should get him? Would they be any more excited about plying their trade for an AFL-aligned club? Of course they might not want to leave Melbourne but it seems that Ash Collins has historically been willing to move around.

Maybe it was the anticipated conditions, it seemed like the plan was to quickly surge it forward. And hope for opportunities on the counter attack or be able to lock it in our attacking half.

We struggled to retain possession with our short kicking and did not have much run apart from Edwards.

I am not sure you can fully blame the coach. I assume the bulk of reserve players are doing the same training sessions as the senior side.

Werribee are very a good VFL side. But as others have noted, our team was stacked with AFL listed players & the weekend performance (as a team) was shocking.

I suspect a few know they’re on the way out - if so, motivation might be an issue.

But it’s not an excuse. Surely questions are being asked within the club.

The only positive: Ben Edwards continues to perform week after week.

Werribee are very a good VFL side. But as others have noted, our team was stacked with AFL listed players & the weekend performance (as a team) was shocking.

I suspect a few know they’re on the way out - if so, motivation might be an issue.

But it’s not an excuse. Surely questions are being asked within the club.

The only positive: Ben Edwards continues to perform week after week.
Ben Edwards is excellent. With regards to consistent A grade performance, he is our best mid at VFL level. If he is viewed as having potential to improve once on an AFL list, we should pick him up, especially if he is still available as a rookie. He's got got good speed and agility, is tough and determined and has decent skills, such that if we didn't think he had enough upside to be an AFL mid, I think he could make a good small lock down defender. He's a better player than Magor and Vickery that's for sure.

Ben Edwards is excellent. With regards to consistent A grade performance, he is our best mid at VFL level. If he is viewed as having potential to improve once on an AFL list, we should pick him up, especially if he is still available as a rookie. He's got got good speed and agility, is tough and determined and has decent skills, such that if we didn't think he had enough upside to be an AFL mid, I think he could make a good small lock down defender. He's a better player than Magor and Vickery that's for sure.
I’d add Indhi Kirk to that list.

To my eye, he (Kirk) hasn’t really done a lot to justify the place on the senior list.

Surely some of the afl players want to get into the team. Why are we having such a rough patch in the vfl
Impossible to know for sure, but there seems to be elements of:

• lack of gut-busting effort - motivation?
  • coaching
  • our top-ups aren’t VFL standard
  • some of our AFL listed players aren’t nearly as good as we’d hoped

This weekend we're away to the Sandringham Zebras and we play a few hours before the seniors take on St Kilda at Marvel. So, while one hopes we'll be reinforced by the returns of Will Edwards and Pete Ladhams, we'll lose Cleary and another player (Fox?) as an emergency.

I think that in his presser last week Horse indicated Mills would not play this week but will be a test for next week? And is Parker due back next week or is it still too soon? Arnold can't be too far off either. I have no clue what is going on with Sheldrick - they seem to roll a die each week when deciding how many weeks it will be until he returns.

In any event we have zero excuses for not beating the 10th placed Zebras with so many senior players available (apart from apparently shit coaching and sub-par effort from the players). Players like Moi Moi are entitled to feel disgruntled that some of these seniors are getting games ahead of him. How poor an effort would a senior listed player have to give to be dropped from the VFL? I don't think we're quite in that territory but...

I'd like to see Leon Cameron stage an intervention to make sure that the reserves performances improve. He's the footy manager - he's accountable. Something is going wrong and he should be the individual with greatest responsibility for sorting it out (along with the coach but not if the coach is the problem or if factors beyond the coach's control are the problem).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back