VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Good win, although the Pies being a few men short for most of the game seemed like a factor.

Ladhams was clearly BOG for us, but I thought Francis & Kirk were absolute rocks in the defensive 50 for us. If Francis could ever translate his VFL form to the highest level, we'd be laughing, though I doubt he can. Kirk was a poised, steady presence, minus a few errors by foot.

Harrison looks so promising. Just one of them players who just does everything right. Really like the look of him. Cochran also built into the game nicely enough for his first outing.

McAndrew looked good in the ruck, Sheldrick looked good in general play, and Hanily's physicality continues to impress.

Solid numbers at the top.
e9ece343580e4e2148e61c74beacd1f9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

The camera work by, I presume, the Kayo crew was atrocious. The camera was at one stage taking shots of the trees. Then a tram & following the bloody tram. Meanwhile the game goes on without the camera registering any play for 15 seconds, then 29 seconds. When they did manage to get focused on the play, they missed kicks and jerked the camera to the next player to mark. At the start of the quarter the camera was unfocused.

Drunk cameraman? His 6-10yo kids were doing the actual work? Mind you I think a 10 yo would have done better. The cameraman left a blind person to operate the camera? Um, I wonder if he just kept falling off the chair or platform? Or was he just incompetent? I hate to think that, drunk would be an excuse lol, incompetence us no excuse

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Excellent second half by the VFL boys.

Ladhams most probably was best on ground. When he's on at this level, he's very dominant. If not for his brain explosions, I think he would be fielding multiple offers from the other 17 clubs looking for ruck depth.

Sheldrick played the best game I've seen from him this year. Found plenty of the ball, was hard at it and his disposal was clean.

Best game I've seen Arnold play. Moves much better than Francis and also better defending the lead. I think he's a superior lock down option.

Hamling had a good 2nd half. Presented nicely, competed overhead and was good when the ball hit the deck. He looks really fit and in good shape. Someone mentioned they thought he was too slow but to me, looked anything but.

Kirk good off HB although did butcher a few kicks. McAndrew dominated the hitouts and had a few nice moments around the park. Wicks started well but faded. Warner did a few nice things. Mitchell sloppy with his kicking but did get a bit of the ball.

So all up, a promising performance. If needed, I think Sheldrick is definitely ready.

Good win, although the Pies being a few men short for most of the game seemed like a factor.

Ladhams was clearly BOG for us, but I thought Francis & Kirk were absolute rocks in the defensive 50 for us. If Francis could ever translate his VFL form to the highest level, we'd be laughing, though I doubt he can. Kirk was a poised, steady presence, minus a few errors by foot.

Harrison looks so promising. Just one of them players who just does everything right. Really like the look of him. Cochran also built into the game nicely enough for his first outing.

McAndrew looked good in the ruck, Sheldrick looked good in general play, and Hanily's physicality continues to impress.
Unfortunately Francis always comes in when we are short of tall experience which means he has to defend under duress.

I'd like to know how he would go with Rampe around him. He pretty much always comes in with Rampe out.
Rampe played in both games earlier this year that Francis played in (against Fremantle in Perth and Carlton during Marn Grook.)

I didn't think Francis was great in either, but at the same time, we rendered Carlton's forward line so useless that Charlie Curnow became a swingman, so maybe it wasn't that bad?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately Francis always comes in when we are short of tall experience which means he has to defend under duress.
He's good as the intercept tall at CHB but is only ever required as a lock down key defender at AFL level. Unfortunately lacks the closing speed to lock down and is pretty much useless once the ball hits the deck.

I can't wait till the day that Edwards and Snell overtake him because he has different roles in the AFL compared to the VFL

Harrison named amongst the best for us yesterday

Aaron Francis, Peter Ladhams, Gus Sheldrick, Caleb Mitchell, Corey Warner, Joe Harrison

The camera work by, I presume, the Kayo crew was atrocious. The camera was at one stage taking shots of the trees. Then a tram & following the bloody tram. Meanwhile the game goes on without the camera registering any play for 15 seconds, then 29 seconds. When they did manage to get focused on the play, they missed kicks and jerked the camera to the next player to mark. At the start of the quarter the camera was unfocused.

Drunk cameraman? His 6-10yo kids were doing the actual work? Mind you I think a 10 yo would have done better. The cameraman left a blind person to operate the camera? Um, I wonder if he just kept falling off the chair or platform? Or was he just incompetent? I hate to think that, drunk would be an excuse lol, incompetence us no excuse

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not sure what company it is but they provide the cameras/commentators and Kayo just show it. It's been awful for years!

Sam Wicks' hopes of a speedy recall to Sydney's senior side could be scuppered by the VFL Match Review Officer after an incident in the game against Collingwood on Friday.

Wicks, one of four players omitted after Sydney's heavy defeat to Port Adelaide last week, is set to come under scrutiny for a dump tackle on Ash Johnson that left the Magpie with a concussion.

Wicks kicked a goal and had 14 disposals to go with an equal game-high of eight tackles and five clearances as the surged in the second half to beat the Magpies by 29 points at Tramway Oval.

Ruck Peter Ladhams was dominant all over the ground, kicking three goals and having 24 disposals to go with 19 hit outs in the ruck, with his offsider Lachlan McAndrew gathering 30 hitouts, 11 touches and one goal.

Joel Hamling continued his strong season up forward, kicking three goals and having nine marks.

Angus Sheldrick's return from injury kicked up a gear with a dominant display that saw him finish with 36 disposals and seven clearances.

Caleb Mitchell (28 disposals), Aaron Francis (26 disposals and 10 marks) and Corey Warner (25 disposals and seven clearances) were also busy, while West Australian Ben Edwards continued to impress with 23 disposals and eight clearances.

Indhi Kirk also took his share of marks with eight and 21 disposals, Harry Arnold had seven and 18, and Cooper Vickery finished with nine and 18.

We got the results we wanted over the weekend, we are still a chance of the finals (Top 10)

Brisbane beat GWS and Sandringham beat Richmond

Would have preferred if the 33 point margin in the Zebras-Tigers games was smaller as they have just edged ahead of us in percentage (105.5 v 105.3) but this is literally 2 points difference.

To make finals we have to hope:
  • Must happen: Carlton (19th) beat Richmond (10th)
  • Scenario 1:
    • Geelong (5th) beat Sandringham (11th)
    • Sydney (12th) beat Footscray (2nd)
  • Scenario 2:
    • Sydney beat Footscray and Sandringham beat Geelong but our margin of victory is 3-5 points larger (depends if it's a high or low scoring game)
It might look daunting playing the 2nd placed team but we did beat them earlier this year at their home ground, and we seem to save our better performances against the better teams. The most dififcult task will probably be Carlton beating Richmond, as they had 5 injuries in their AFL team yesterday and their replacements will deplete their VFL team.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back