Harry PerrymanGWSUFACollingwoodRound 1 Compo (Pick 16) to GWS
Elliott HimmelbergAdelaideUFAGold CoastNo Compensation
Nick HaynesGWSUFACarltonNo Compensation
Alex Neal-BullenMelbourneTradeAdelaideRound 2 Pick (28) to Melbourne
Jack DarlingWest CoastTradeNorth MelbourneRound 4 pick (67) to WCE
Jack GrahamRichmondUFAWest CoastEnd of Round 2 Compo (Pick 42) to Richmond

Last edited:

D-day looms for Caleb Daniel

Western Bulldogs defender Caleb Daniel could decide as early as today whether he wants to pursue a four-year deal with the Kangaroos or see out his contract at the club where he has won a premiership and a best and fairest.

There is no deadline on his decision, but both clubs are expecting him to make a call soon. One of the aspects Daniel will be weighing up is whether a deal can get done as well as whether he believes he can regain a permanent spot with the Bulldogs having played VFL and as a sub in 2024.

The Bulldogs are already in negotiations with Geelong over Bailey Smith and will sit down with St Kilda to discuss a deal over Jack Macrae.
If it’s just the first thing he shouldn’t need to worry about it as he’s contracted

Worst case he asks for a deal but has to go back and play another year

Is in no worse a spot as everyone already knows he’s considering leaving

Also if he wants to increase the chance of a deal to get done it’s better to make it official asap to give more time to get it done

When old players retire, list spots have to be filled. You know that.

We havent been attractive to FAs lately.

Logue and Tucker got done for PP. A second and a fourth rounder, with a swap of thirds.Can't blame the club on Griff doing his ACL. That’s a great deal. How can you argue otherwise.
I don't. These were both good trades.
Howe, Shiels, Nyuon, Teakle, Pink and Darling all cost nothing, or extremely speculative picks. They filled spots cheaply so we could spend most of our draft capital on kids. Tell me what you would have done otherwise, bearing in mind the highest pick you’re allowed to use is in the sixties.
Look at these guys. They are mostly short-term infill to cover obvious list holes and list management failures. Fine you say, but where is the long-term strategy that they are covering for?
We started last season with five vfl quality talls but no long-term support for Nick Larkey.
Our only two small forwards have come via the msd. Even last year, when Nick Watson was sitting there waiting for us, we took a sixth mid-sized forward. Hawthorn wanted to trade up for Duursma with the pick we couldn't find for Logan Morris. Duursma could be a star, but he will have to become Nat Fyfe to improve our list as much as Watson and Morris would have.

Fisher and Stephens are the only ones who cost substantial picks. But they were acquired with PP that had to be used last year. Nevertheless, happy to debate the merits of those decisions.
In retrospect we didn't really have to trade those picks, but we shouldn't be blamed for that. Those two players though........they can both run.

Kangaroos list boss Brady Rawlings on Monday declared his club was “still in the hunt” for Houston

“We’ve met with Dan. It’ll come down to whoever has the best value for Port Adelaide. We think we’re still a chance,” he said.

Rawlings wouldn’t confirm reports the Kangaroos had offered the Power two first-round picks for Houston, saying: “I’m not sure there’s been an asking price. It’s whoever comes up with the best deal.”

Essendon legend Matthew Lloyd questioned whether North was being “used” to create a bidding war.

“I wouldn’t be throwing two first-rounders at Dan Houston, but I think that’s what it may take for clubs to get him,” Lloyd said on the 3AW trade podcast.

“That’s where I think North Melbourne will probably get blown out of a water … They can probably afford to do it, but I just think Dan Houston, is he just using them as well as a way to have another club involved?

“He’d want Carlton or Collingwood. He wants to win a premiership, Dan Houston.

“It all comes down to who can get the Gold Coast Suns’ pick 13 … Whoever can get that unlocks the deal to get Dan Houston.”

I've been a supporter of Fisher, I don't mind him, particularly when he uses his first option. Despite that, he is a terrible one on one defender and I think we overpaid for him.
Do you know what he actually cost?

Ok say Daniel decides to play with the NMFC for 4 years .
So you look at the back 6 for Round 1 in 2025.
Backline
Corr Louge Archer
Half Backline
Daniel Comben ?
Which mean there’s 1 position available in the Backline available
McDonald
Fisher
Goater
Hardenham
Bergman
With that you don’t have to be Einstein to workout McDonald will get the gig as he will voted in as Captain again and Clarkson will frightened to drop the Captain.
Fisher will be a bench player then once on the field will play as a Half Forward
As for other 3 players who won’t be given the opportunity to play AFL I feel sorry for them.
Goater might be a player that will start in the VFL and stay there
Hardenham A nice guy if not given a go will want to go back to WA
Bergman similar to Goater

Great work Mr. NN.

So no injuries in 2025. Great to hear.

Kangaroos list boss Brady Rawlings on Monday declared his club was “still in the hunt” for Houston

“We’ve met with Dan. It’ll come down to whoever has the best value for Port Adelaide. We think we’re still a chance,” he said.

Rawlings wouldn’t confirm reports the Kangaroos had offered the Power two first-round picks for Houston, saying: “I’m not sure there’s been an asking price. It’s whoever comes up with the best deal.”

Essendon legend Matthew Lloyd questioned whether North was being “used” to create a bidding war.

“I wouldn’t be throwing two first-rounders at Dan Houston, but I think that’s what it may take for clubs to get him,” Lloyd said on the 3AW trade podcast.

“That’s where I think North Melbourne will probably get blown out of a water … They can probably afford to do it, but I just think Dan Houston, is he just using them as well as a way to have another club involved?

“It all comes down to who can get the Gold Coast Suns’ pick 13 … Whoever can get that unlocks the deal to get Dan Houston.”
Of course we are being played unfortunately we haven’t got the Administrators to figure it out
Player Managers look at as our as modern day circus.

Personally I like it when we are the ones driving up the price, or the urgency (when it comes to Buckley's coaching career).

Lloyd says this like he is bitter that the price is getting higher and he wants the Roos to pull out of the race.

It literally doesn't come down to who gets pick 13, he is saying that because he doesn't have any other trade ideas.

Of course we are being played unfortunately we haven’t got the Administrators to figure it out
Player Managers look at as our as modern day circus.
Question. If we do not approach D. Houston, because we do not want to risk "getting played".

How are we supposed to have a chance to recruit him to our club?

Mental telepathy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been a supporter of Fisher, I don't mind him, particularly when he uses his first option. Despite that, he is a terrible one on one defender and I think we overpaid for him.

Daniel doesn't have any other suitors other than us and there is a multitude of reasons why that's the case. He lacks meters gained and he can't defend. Isn't damaging enough to be a winger, isn't quick enough to be a small forward.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind him as a player, he is a reliable kick, he can find the footy and by all accounts is a fantastic person.

I just don't see the point of bringing him in (especially if it costs us a pick inside the top 40) when our biggest issue in the defensive half is actual defending.

And if there were any other suitors we wouldn't be in with a chance.... unfortunately these are the type of players we need to approach until we get better.... we aren't going to win a fight with other clubs

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Well aware. My comment was not just about what we gave up at the draft but contract length and $. From my what I've been told he is on over 600k which is ridiculous for a bottom 8 player in our side.
McDonald, Fisher, Stephens eating cap space for yeeeaars to come.

C grade footballers getting B grade contracts.

Absolutely ****s you.

Absolutely ****s you.
Is cap space really our problem though? I expect we have plenty. What absolutely ****s us is offering way more money and higher draft picks to clubs for good players and them choosing to go elsewhere for less.

Absolutely ****s you.
We are nowhere near the cap ceiling so what difference does it make? We need to overpay some players just to get to the cap floor.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back