List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely and those kid ‘leaders’ are playing in a top two side, some people want Harry Sheezel captain of our mob at 19 years of age..

It would be sheer lunacy.
And not to mention unfair on Harry! He doesn’t need that added pressure. He’s already trying to lift the side week in week out and giving him the captaincy now is not in his best interest nor ours frankly.

We've tried our fair share of state league players over the years. Currie, Brown, Tippett, Preuss, Wilkinson, Hosie, McGuinness, Menadue, Dawson, Free, Pink, Maley, RHJ, Sellers, Teakle and Payne. Not much luck apart from Brown. Preuss we should have got value out of, but fumbled it.

What stands out is a lack of mature age running players apart from Menadue. We had success with Gibson back in 2011.

Dawson, Maley, RHJ, Teakle and Payne. Still some hope there and overall looks like much better drafting, to my eye at least, than the 2014-2020 era of mature age talent that never resulted in a best 22 player.

Taking the best state league player aged 24-26 at #40 this year, especially if it's someone like Riley Bice or even if it's just a mature mid with some upside that replaces Greenwood in the VFL, rather than waiting for them to slip through to the rookie draft could be a good strategy. A lot of good state league players Wilkie, Mannagh, Stewart, Ryan etc go around that part of the draft.
Good teams will start taking them with their 2nd selections which means we'll need to trade up.

Port have a physically smaller nimble midfield, Cats have a bullocking bigger midfield. In finals this can matter sometimes with the extra in close physicality of the game.
In clutch moments they struggle with houston in the backline.

FWIW I don't think we should have used national draft capital on Mannagh and it wasn't necessary. We have not once picked someone who was crushing it in the VFL up in the MSD, which is a free hit.
We've generally had one of the 1st 2 picks in the msd for 5 years, too. There absolutely no excuse.

Treacy, Manaugh, Massimo, Durham etc

Brady is a dud. Anyone can hit top 5 picks and the odd 2nd rounder.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The same way that same midfield smashed ours. The Cats midfield of no names is massively underrated.
It probably is. But they also do midfield differently to other teams. They largely don't use their main mids at centre bounces and they have a heap more players than us sharing the running in transition.

The GMan would be ready to make an impact almost immediately. Even if all of 2025 was working on his endurance he'd be well and truly ready in 26.
Mate, if we don't pick this kid we'll need to book you in for counselling.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Mate, if we don't pick this kid we'll need to book you in for counselling.

Do we get a discount if we book it in now?

Well Danger is/ was one of the games best, Bowes was a pick 10, Bruhn pick 12, Holmes pick 20.

What they have is burst speed and endurance.

It probably is. But they also do midfield differently to other teams. They largely don't use their main mids at centre bounces and they have a heap more players than us sharing the running in transition.

The thing that really struck me was how beautiful the Cats game looked when they got thier run and carry going. They, as a team and to a man, are prepared to run both ways and support. Every second of the game.

It seems like they don't have Outside/Inside mids they just have mids. Players who are prepared to do it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We already written him off Filfy?

Ha, I'm no insider but I know one thing about the North board at this time of the year, if a group falls in love with particular player outside the top 3 you can better believe he will a) go to another club after our last pick or b) slip past us in the rookie draft.

That certainly helps. But mostly Geelong just outran and outworked them with a better balanced team.
Looking at the Cats, they have a couple of mids that have that burst speed. Danger and Holmes mainly. Then the fwd line of 2 talls, a mid sized fwd and 3 smalls with another rotating off the bench.

LDU is one of those burst types, id love it if Powell could be the other but not sure if running can be improved that much.

I know im a broken record, but GMan is our perfect 2nd tall who can ruck and Elmo who i hope improves next season, plus potentially Chom. Then we've got Zurhaar and Duursma for the mid sized. Curtis is probably a tweener between mid sized and small.

Its the smalls we need to address and perhaps a fast burst player in the middle. Draper seems the ideal fit in that regard. He can play mainly fwd/mid for a few years before becoming more a mid/fwd and he brings burst speed. Get Rosas and improve RHJ's strength and tackling with Simpkin playing more fwd from now on.

Moving McKercher to a fwd flank or wing would help also.

Last edited:
Looking at the Cats, they have a couple of mids that have that burst speed. Danger and Holmes mainly. Then the fwd line of 2 talls, a mid sized fwd and 3 smalls with another rotating off the bench.

LDU is one of those burst types, id love it if Powell could be the other but not sure if running can be improved that much.

I know im a broken record, but GMan is our perfect 2nd tall who can ruck and Elmo who i hope improves next season, plus potentially Chom. Then we've got Zurhaar and Duursma for the mid sized.

Its the smalls we need to address and perhaps a fast burst player in the middle. Draper seems the ideal fit in that regard. He can play mainly fwd/mid for a few years before becoming more a mid/fwd. Get Rosas and improve RHJ's strength and tackling with Simpkin playing more fwd from now on.

Who is Elmo?

What's our ties to the Werribee VFL team?

Should we have been prepared to pull the trigger with picks 20,21 or 23?

There isn't one. The only "inside" word would have been the bloke who coached Werribee last year but we'll never know if he was on our draft board and if he was, why he wasn't taken

I know im a broken record, but GMan is our perfect 2nd tall who can ruck and Elmo who i hope improves next season, plus potentially Chom. Then we've got Zurhaar and Duursma for the mid sized.

Its the smalls we need to address and perhaps a fast burst player in the middle. Draper seems the ideal fit in that regard. He can play mainly fwd/mid for a few years before becoming more a mid/fwd. Get Rosas and improve RHJ's strength and tackling with Simpkin playing more fwd from now on.

McKercher should have the role Holmes has for Geelong. Start wing or back flank but mostly play mid. Transition is our weakness and Colby's strength. We need him breaking lines through the middle.

And yes, small forwards are dominating this year and we don't have any.

McKercher should have the role Holmes has for Geelong. Start wing or back flank but mostly play mid. Transition is our weakness and Colby's strength. We need him breaking lines through the middle.

And yes, small forwards are dominating this year and we don't have any.
Holmes is in that big bodied mid range as well tho at 190cm.

Port have a physically smaller nimble midfield, Cats have a bullocking bigger midfield. In finals this can matter sometimes with the extra in close physicality of the game.
Which doesn't bode well for us...

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back