List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

We offered a future first and port told us to get stuffed. A teens pick isn’t not going to happen.
thats fine we walk away then

cos i think a future first is overs in itself just for him

when it comes down to the end port would rather trade him to us than the blues who they will be competing with next year for top 4

We offered a future first and port told us to get stuffed.
Sure that's what happened?

What Twomey said five days ago was:

“I’m still looking at North Melbourne as a possibility. It was reported last week that St Kilda were out of the race, I think North Melbourne’s in the race.

“They have a future first-round pick on the table to get something done.

“For Port Adelaide though, they want the pick or picks in this year’s draft. The future first-round pick on the table from North, they can potentially turn that into a pick early in this year’s draft as well. That’s a possibility.

“They’re now in that race alongside Collingwood, Carlton and the Western Bulldogs.

“So there’s four (clubs in the race) with North around the fringes there. They’re probably at the back end but they’re in the race.”

(Obviously the Blues are the only one of those three which has the picks right now.)

Could we look to trade our future 1st (likely top 4) for a first and second rounder this year. Then split our 2 for 2 first round picks this year.
That would give us 3 first rounders and 2 early second rounders this year.
  • 1 of the first rounders for houston
  • Armstrong
  • Berry
  • Plenty of KPF's available around the early second round for 1 of those picks.
  • Use the other second rounder as part of another trade or best available based on needs
  • Same as above for 3rd rounder
  • Late picks for Parker, Konstanty, Darling

We can trade our 2026 first to get back into the 2025 first round if needed.

In this year -
Houston, Parker, Konstanty, Darling
Armstrong (Best KPF), Berry (Best small forward), KPF, TBD, TBD.

That's 9 spots. Does that work with the room we have on our list?

Could we look to trade our future 1st (likely top 4) for a first and second rounder this year. Then split our 2 for 2 first round picks this year.
That would give us 3 first rounders and 2 early second rounders this year.
  • 1 of the first rounders for houston
  • Armstrong
  • Berry
  • Plenty of KPF's available around the early second round for 1 of those picks.
  • Use the other second rounder as part of another trade or best available based on needs
  • Same as above for 3rd rounder
  • Late picks for Parker, Konstanty, Darling

We can trade our 2026 first to get back into the 2025 first round if needed.

In this year -
Houston, Parker, Konstanty, Darling
Armstrong (Best KPF), Berry (Best small forward), KPF, TBD, TBD.

That's 9 spots. Does that work with the room we have on our list?
you forgot what we have to give up to get houston in your above

We offered a future first and port told us to get stuffed. A teens pick isn’t not going to happen.
Don't take Port's initial response seriously. Given he is a contracted player their initial response would always be to play hardball. But once the dust on their season settles and they realise that keeping a player who wants out is pointless, and the fact that they would need picks to bring Lucosious in, I think by the end of the trade period their position will have changed completely

F1>Houston, F2 (Houston valued between picks 9-14)

Or if they play hardball, walk away and aim for:

F1>Adelaide pick 4.

Stuff Port. Out of principle we should never be trading with those charlatans.
I do agree with you but there is a very old saying in life that has lasted through the ages, "never burn your bridges".
In AFL circles, eg; recruiting/trade, free agency and players, what often goes around in life, comes around. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty amazing how other clubs (and their players) continue to save us from ourselves.

Didn't Brady try to trade our F2 for a pick in the mid 30's to try and snag Billy Wilson? Turns out that has ended up being Pick 20 in the deepest draft in recent history. Imagine if we went into this year with just Pick 2.

I see this whole F1 discussion in a similar vein. A couple really nice looking KPP's in next years top 5. Lets hope we are once again saved from ourselves.

totally agree. Getting better mature footballers will also make the young guns already there better footballers. The flow on effect will be enormous
Add in the vibe around the club/culture and supporters having something competitive to watch; the wheel will turn quick smart...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

You'd think twice about drafting any SA boys in the short term, the Crows and Power are doing a very good job at getting elite talent back to SA.

J Dawson, Rankine, Judas and now Lukosious have all be repatriated in recent years, it's a growing list.

They haven't got CCJ or Powell... :stern look

I can't align with a lot of thinking here.

Trade the next Sheezel or LDU for a guy who will be 31+ when we're anywhere near competitive and is a nice to have, not a positional or cultural game changer for a club.

No dice.

Hurry up and nominate Pratt please Dan Houston.
Then we hit 4 wins for the season, LDU ****s off and we are at square one again.
Then Duursma requests a trade to play with bro and we are ****ed with talent exiting out the door.

Be careful what you wish for, mate. At some point, our list needs to mature and balance, and it won't happen organically imo.

It's been tried and failed many times. We need to get higher up the ladder before we start trading away access to potential stars. Pick 2-4 for a HBF who's 27 going on 28 is insanity. I can't actually believe there's those of us who want a few cheap meaningless wins over playing the longer game. We've been through enough, sure, but what's a couple more years?
Whats another couple of years?

10k members dropping off, no Friday/Saturday games with Sunday twilight our home. Another couple of games sold interstate, the AFL initiating a hostile takeover, goodbye Good Friday and so, and so on...

Your call.

Did someone say MEGATRADE?

North: 2 for Houston, 12, 26
GC: Luko, 6, 12, 20, 26 for 2, Rioli, Noble
Port: Houston for Luko, 20
Richmond: Rioli, 39 for 6
Collingwood: Noble for 39
Horrible for GC but good to great for everyone else. But who knows, GC do some weird things…

Couple more years of this crap means couple more years where we can only attract Darlings, Fishers and Stephens's and couple of more years of losing kids as members. Sooner or later we will need to have a breakthrough year and doing it with 18 year old draft picks may never happen unfortunately

I am not saying handing F1 for Houston is a good idea by the way. But I am suggesting that having a go to see how we may be able to split pick 2 or F1 to try and bring quaity players in TODAY is the way to go. I've had a gutful of the "long game". So have the players I'd say. It just gives them an out and while we play the long game we will keep having 3-4 win seasons, saying it will soon turn

2 is no chance, surely.

F1 is a risk as there seems to be some stars, in a position we need, available next year.

I hear what you're saying, tend to agree with the overarching sentiment but that shouldn't mean we succumb to paying overs for a so so. Ok, he's good, plays a position we need and what not, but had you said we'll trade pick 2 or potentially 1-4 for Dan ****ing Houston you'd have been laughed out of this asylum, with good reason.

He's worth something around 10-20, not 2. I hate to keep repeating myself but we need their F1 and F2 back to even consider it. Surely.

2 is no chance, surely.

F1 is a risk as there seems to be some stars, in a position we need, available next year.

I hear what you're saying, tend to agree with the overarching sentiment but that shouldn't mean we succumb to paying overs for a so so. Ok, he's good, plays a position we need and what not, but had you said we'll trade pick 2 or potentially 1-4 for Dan ****ing Houston you'd have been laughed out of this asylum, with good reason.

He's worth something around 10-20, not 2. I hate to keep repeating myself but we need their F1 and F2 back to even consider it. Surely.
2 or F1 can be split. Nobody is suggesting that's what we hand over.

I’d say he hasn’t nominated Carlton directly because it weakens Port’s negotiating hand and he seems to want to do good by them. Now they can use the threat of North ponying up a high pick in order to get Carlton to pay up.
Its all a game of cats & mouse's, only a couple of weeks ago I saw and heard Dan laugh and pretty much say that he wasn't going anywhere and that he loved it at port and that you see this thing all the time, really Dan? :smirk:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back