List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

McKercher should have the role Holmes has for Geelong. Start wing or back flank but mostly play mid. Transition is our weakness and Colby's strength. We need him breaking lines through the middle.

And yes, small forwards are dominating this year and we don't have any.
Have just joined and agree on our small forward pressure that is non existent - and that is a huge concern for me because RHJ has never shown desire to pressure or tackle at any level - yes he showed a little late this year but i still dont see it...
Below i have highlighted stats for last 6 VFL regular season games played in 2024 for 3 players:

RHJ - 11.2 disposals, 1.7 goals, 2.2 tackles

Malcolm Rosas - 12.0 disposals, 1.5 goals, 2.3 tackles

Player 3 - 18.8 disposals, 1.2 goals, 4.7 tackles

So by looking at above do we think that Player 3 clearly brings what we are looking for that we desperately haven't got - a high pressure player who gets ball regularly and impacts - or do we want flighty inconsistent types who don't want contact and will not put it on the line for their team ?

BTW - Player 3 is Jack Mahony

Just putting this out there. Could last night's game be a wakeup call to some here about the overvaluing of gun mids in today's game?

How does a team with a midfield of Atkins, Bowes and Bruhn smash one with Rozee, Butters and JHF?
One reason is that Bruhn in particular is pretty good; hard at it, to say the least

Have just joined and agree on our small forward pressure that is non existent - and that is a huge concern for me because RHJ has never shown desire to pressure or tackle at any level - yes he showed a little late this year but i still dont see it...
Below i have highlighted stats for last 6 VFL regular season games played in 2024 for 3 players:

RHJ - 11.2 disposals, 1.7 goals, 2.2 tackles

Malcolm Rosas - 12.0 disposals, 1.5 goals, 2.3 tackles

Player 3 - 18.8 disposals, 1.2 goals, 4.7 tackles

So by looking at above do we think that Player 3 clearly brings what we are looking for that we desperately haven't got - a high pressure player who gets ball regularly and impacts - or do we want flighty inconsistent types who don't want contact and will not put it on the line for their team ?

BTW - Player 3 is Jack Mahony
It's long been debated that Jack Mahony is the superior play to Kosi Pickett.

This puts the argument to bed.

Your loss Melbourne.

One reason is that Bruhn in particular is pretty good; hard at it, to say the least
He is. But it is mostly Geelong sharing the midfielder's traditional role rather than have a small group of gun mids who are expected to do everything - all the centre bounces, then defense running, carrying the ball in transition, etc. The speed the game is played at now makes that too much. They share the running and also use players in roles that suit their strengths. We are miles behind in both the running ability of our list and the way we use our players.

Which doesn't bode well for us...
Geelong got on top early in the game and with their experience got the game on their terms. Sometimes a smaller quicker midfield can do well in finals. Without looking at the percentages imo a big bodied midfield generally win more finals.

Last edited:
Just putting this out there. Could last night's game be a wakeup call to some here about the overvaluing of gun mids in today's game?

How does a team with a midfield of Atkins, Bowes and Bruhn smash one with Rozee, Butters and JHF?

Great question, asked myself the same when watching last night (though Butters missed the second half when the real capitulation happened). Rozee has been off all season imo, and they fall away pretty sharply for midfield depth (Boak and Wines both past it as full time mids).

He didn't choose anyone. He nominated for the draft and was taken.

What im saying is you don't know we didn't look into him. We might very well have but thought rightly or wrongly that we had other priorities or preferred the kids to the mature age

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Geelong got on too early in the game and with their experience got the game on their terms. Sometimes a smaller quicker midfield can do well in finals. Without looking at the percentages imo a big bodied midfield generally win more finals.
Around the LDU size and burst is fine. But yeah look at Dees with Trac 187 and Oliver 189 they brough it. Dusty, DeGoey, Danger all bigger bodies with burst. Bont too, but probably not in the same burst speed tier as the others but they have Treloar as well at 185cm with serious wheels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ve got to throw multi year contracts at Jed Bews and Mitch Duncan. Would both fit perfectly, and might not be guaranteed regular football next year

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Me waiting for actual trade news.

We’ve got to throw multi year contracts at Jed Bews and Mitch Duncan. Would both fit perfectly, and might not be guaranteed regular football next year
1 year with trigger for a second max for those guys

That goes for darling also but seems like he will get 2 since he is contracted for 1 already and wants the extra year

The only older player I’m giving 2 years straight up to is Parker

1 year with trigger for a second max for those guys

That goes for darling also

The only older player I’m giving 2 years straight up to is Parker
Duncan player agent: “Gday Mitch, Geelong are happy to have you on for another year if you’re keen? Hang on a minute… Just as we’ve been talking on the phone North Melbourne have come in with a one year offer also. Despite the fact you’ve played in finals almost every year of your career, are a multiple time premiership player and have your family settled in Geelong, I think you should consider Norths comparable offer. They have upside and could win 6 games next year. Sleep on it “

Duncan player agent: “Gday Mitch, Geelong are happy to have you on for another year if you’re keen? Hang on a minute… Just as we’ve been talking on the phone North Melbourne have come in with a one year offer also. Despite the fact you’ve played in finals almost every year of your career, are a multiple time premiership player and have your family settled in Geelong, I think you should consider Norths comparable offer. They have upside and could win 6 games next year. Sleep on it “
The sell is game time like you mentioned
And more money for that year with the strong chance of hitting the trigger for a second if they stay fit

Excellent structure. Good leadership. 20 fit, smart, hard, skilled players who know the plan, can execute it who can win 50/50s consistently.

This nails it,
They have so many well-rounded, smart, multi-positional players it isn’t funny.

I have a feeling that Geelong will somehow trade up to grab Murphy Reid who just seems made for their game style.

Holmes, Dempsey and Reid would be quite the young midfield trio in the seasons to come.

We have three on the list right now, tho we might have less soon and honestly I'd have developed Lazz in that role. At least pressure wise not necessarily as a scoring type small. I think we missed a trick moving Atu onto the backline too. Curtis can play small, just needs to work harder. He's the same size as Ginnivan, has more goals and tackles this year and got front and centre of contests repeatedly. If someone had halved those contests instead of us giving up easy intercept marks to the opposition he'd have more goals.

One thing that advantaged Geelong yesterday was the kicking of their younger players, particularly Neale and Holmes who hit long hard bullets over the back of the Port interceptors. Mannagh did it a few times as well. The Geelong players were onto that and took advantage of it.
Lazz I think doesn't have clean enough hands. Curtis I kind of agree, however he will always be an unusual weapon as he is small but could probably put Dangerfield on his arse. With the right development he could honestly be our most dangerous forward.

Either way, yeah. We need more of this type in.

The sell is game time like you mentioned
And more money for that year with the strong chance of hitting the trigger for a second if they stay fit
It wont be enough. You’ll be perennially disappointed in our list management strategy if you think it’s feasible to get a quality player using that approach. A player over 30 is looking for one of two things: a premiership opportunity or job security. We can’t guarantee the former. Our list profile and and salary cap position mean we have the capacity to offer these guys contracts that they find it hard to turn down in terms of years and dollars. That is the only thing that will attract players to North.

Because the gun mids have to work both ways as a unit. You need guns, but also need hard workers. JHF, Butters and Rozee aren’t that. Hard work beats talent 9 times out of 10.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back