List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

We've got at least 18-20 players on the list that aren't up to it imo. Roughly 10 go this year and we'll bring in that many.
That group will be turned over in two years before Tassie comes in 2026 and starts compromising the draft if reports of 2026 being the year are true. That would be the year I would start trading out 1sts for good players if it was me.

I'm not keen on giving up a top 3 pick next year for Houston because I know there's Archie Ludowyke, Willem Duurmsa and the Duff man as well as a couple of other key position players coming in next year's draft in the top 10.

In 2026 we'd also have potentially Sam Harris and McCartney's son to consider drafting as well.
Where are they ranked? Who knows at his point but are we scrambling in 2026 if we've traded out our 2026 R1 into 2025 to make up for moving it this year for a Houston or picks in this draft? I guess we'll see.

I think Parker if we get him might have more of an impact than Houston with his leadership and fight.
I think the wins are likely to come from the group we have than just the impact of adding a Houston imo.
But I can certainly understand the urge to change the narrative and get in a good player and improve in the win column.
We don't really have a say in it and we won't know who is right until a 5 years later so wait and see what happens.
There's not 18-20 players who aren't up for it. No side has a full list of finals level best 22 players.

If you take the bottom 6-8 players off our list and replace them with 6-8 players who would be in the top 15 then our list starts to look good.

If we wait 2 years to start trying to improve then we'll leak more talent than we can bring in.

We must hold our first round draft picks the next 2 years.

The only help we get finishing 17th is first round draft pick, trading this away for a player who won’t be around in 4-5 years has no value.

Be patient, trust the process, and back the kids in and add some experience around them that we can get for 3rd and 4th round draft picks and enjoy some success in time.

Houston will not be the difference to make us contend for finals.

I still have nightmares of Polec, Houston could be just as ugly.

We have a top tier midfield, in terms of talent and potential.

LDU
Wardlaw
Sheezel
McKercher
Duursma
Powell
Phillips

And if you're that desperate for another then you use the F1 on Houston and draft a mid with pick 2 (or split it back to pick 6ish and draft a mid + someone else).

We'd also expect to sign/trade for another mid as we rise up the ladder and become more of a destination.

Drafting 8 mids with top 5 picks is overkill.

We've got a historical amount of high draft pick talent on our list already and people here are talking like we still need two more years worth.

What we actually need is leadership and good players who know how to win.
Few reaches here, that if I think about it, help your point.

Sheezel isn't a pure mid.

McKercher will spend a lot of time in open space.

Duursma isn't a mid full stop. He might have stints once he fills out, but he's as much of a mid as Aidan Corr atm

Powell and Phillips are fifth and sixth bananas, and neither provide the physical buffer that you want from your fifth and sixth bananas.

All this means that you're probably right that we should be looking to use it as a bargaining chip. We've spread our high draft picks fairrrly well, but there's still glue missing from this team, and the right glue will see our circumstances improve in quite a short space of time. The second pick is a damn good carrot to be able to dangle in order to try something a bit out of the box in the hope of attaining that glue

Sydney Geelong.
Hawks to lesser extent.
They really haven't been down long.
We are particularly slow in our rebuild.
I think it's about being a small club and really bottoming out hard.
Richmond will collect a few b graders during there rebuild like Hawks did and bounce back quicker than we have.
Wc will be similar
I thought that, for at least five years, from around the time GC and GWS were hoovering up the best players, we became very poor and both selecting players and then developing them. Reckon it's a combination of the club severely cutting back on spending to erase our debt, and Brad, and very lax training standards, and Brad. The result is that we have a huge void instead of the experienced elite leaders that every club needs.

Essentially, we're building these leaders through the draft. Harry is just the most obvious example. This takes a f****** long time for any consistent positive results to become apparent.

Few reaches here, that if I think about it, help your point.

Sheezel isn't a pure mid.

McKercher will spend a lot of time in open space.

Duursma isn't a mid full stop. He might have stints once he fills out, but he's as much of a mid as Aidan Corr atm

Powell and Phillips are fifth and sixth bananas, and neither provide the physical buffer that you want from your fifth and sixth bananas.

All this means that you're probably right that we should be looking to use it as a bargaining chip. We've spread our high draft picks fairrrly well, but there's still glue missing from this team, and the right glue will see our circumstances improve in quite a short space of time. The second pick is a damn good carrot to be able to dangle in order to try something a bit out of the box in the hope of attaining that glue
We can't play 8 pure mids. Of course they're not all pure mids.

I listed 6 there who have potential. I really only needed to list 4. We'd have Parker and Houston in this scenario, who can rotate through. We'd have Simpkin. We'd have others who can play a role and would come across once we are better.

Imagine looking at LDU, Sheezel, Wardlaw and McKercher and saying that you need to tank for two more years of LDU's prime because you don't have enough midfield talent...

We must hold our first round draft picks the next 2 years.

The only help we get finishing 17th is first round draft pick, trading this away for a player who won’t be around in 4-5 years has no value.

Be patient, trust the process, and back the kids in and add some experience around them that we can get for 3rd and 4th round draft picks and enjoy some success in time.

Houston will not be the difference to make us contend for finals.

I still have nightmares of Polec, Houston could be just as ugly.
Sorry mate, but the kids aren’t going anywhere without experience around them now

So why are we putting our future first on the market? We'll need it next year and it will be worth more then. Whereas pick 2 is worth heaps this year, and as another mid isn't our main priority, we should be happy to trade / split it.

Well that’s a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy isn’t it. If we don’t spend it to bring in experience then yes, our F1 will be valued highly bc we’ll still be bottom four.

If we spend it and bring ppl in then we may actually move up.

We have a top tier midfield, in terms of talent and potential.

LDU
Wardlaw
Sheezel
McKercher
Duursma
Powell
Phillips

And if you're that desperate for another then you use the F1 on Houston and draft a mid with pick 2 (or split it back to pick 6ish and draft a mid + someone else).

We'd also expect to sign/trade for another mid as we rise up the ladder and become more of a destination.

Drafting 8 mids with top 5 picks is overkill.

We've got a historical amount of high draft pick talent on our list already and people here are talking like we still need two more years worth.

What we actually need is leadership and good players who know how to win.
I take your point and it's valid but I believe that adding another two top 4 250 game elite midfielders will differentiate us.

All this fad around small forwards will die out in 12 months.

It's all redundant if you have an elite midfield that gets 15-20 midfield clearances a match.

Another two elite midfielders will provide the leadership.

Dan Houstan faffing around on a half back line getting 30 possessions is fools gold fir 18 months.

Get the two best top 4 draft picks overcome next 13 months

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he chose us we wouldn’t need to split 2 and handover the future first. I’d say we keep 2 at the moment but next years first rounder is certainly being dangled even if to come back into this draft.
I'd agree with that but I'm sure he wants Carlton and we are once again being used as leverage

And frankly this bullshit of a player wanting his existing club to be compensated fairly as they request to leave.

heck off

Anyone with a competitive will to win wouldn't give two hoots about their current employer.

Anyone who wants to join us needs 100% buy in

Has CCJ vibes about it this Houstan talk.

I reckon the bloke is full of shit.

I want to come back to Victoria but only if my current employer is looked after

I call bullshit on this bloke

You are all in 100% in like Harry George etal

Or you just fork off

There's not 18-20 players who aren't up for it. No side has a full list of finals level best 22 players.

If you take the bottom 6-8 players off our list and replace them with 6-8 players who would be in the top 15 then our list starts to look good.

If we wait 2 years to start trying to improve then we'll leak more talent than we can bring in.
I think we need at least one more strong draft and trade period and we're well on the way.
We don't really know what we have with our group. They haven't played together enough and had continuity.
No team has a list full of finals level best 22 players. There's a lot of questionable players below the jury is out on imo.

Gone already - Nyuon, Taylor, Greenwood, TT, Shiels, Free (6)
OOC potentially gone this year - Drury, Harvey, Lazzaro (3)
Contracted next year - RHJ, Teakle, Maley, Payne, Pink, K Dawson, Stevo, CCJ, Ford, Bergman, Goater, B George (12)
Long term fit on the list? - LMac, Corr, Tucker, Stephens, Fisher, Logue (6)

I'd also suggest adding Parker might bring more than what Houston does in terms of leadership and fight.

These campaigners are delusional.

If we start next season 0-8, LDU is gone and then starts the rot with other players looking for the exit.

If top talent wants to come, we are accommodating their wishes. Absolute no brainer

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I take your point and it's valid but I believe that adding another two top 4 250 game elite midfielders will differentiate us.

All this fad around small forwards will die out in 12 months.

It's all redundant if you have an elite midfield that gets 15-20 midfield clearances a match.

Another two elite midfielders will provide the leadership.

Dan Houstan faffing around on a half back line getting 30 possessions is fools gold fir 18 months.

Get the two best top 4 draft picks overcome next 13 months
The only thing that will die out in 12 months is the belief that you can play talls and mediums inside f50 and be successful.

Small pressure fwds that kick goals are here to stay, and i suspect defences will get shorter and quicker over time also

The only thing that will die out in 12 months is the belief that you can play talls and mediums inside f50 and be successful.

Small pressure fwds that kick goals are here to stay, and i suspect defences will get shorter and quicker over time also

Let's see what happens

Hawthorn got found out when finals pressure was applied

And that was against a shit truck side Port a lade

Brisbane have Daniher and an elite midfield

Their small fwd is Cameron

Rayner is a mid

Sydney has an elite midfield

Maybe I was bought up in 80s 90s full forwards Locket Dunstall Ablett Carey McKernan Lloyd i could name another 20 etc etc

Its easier to negate short players

Coaches will work them out

These campaigners are delusional.

If we start next season 0-8, LDU is gone and then starts the rot with other players looking for the exit.

If top talent wants to come, we are accommodating their wishes. Absolute no brainer

Apart from JHF who was a **** stick

And we got George

George will stand up under finals pressure unlike ***

McKay - no loss we got Durrsma people don't realise how good he will be

Who wanted out?

LDU ain't going nowhere

We aint starting 0-8 next year without Houstan

Houstan isn't top 4 talent

You don't hand over what is in effect two top 4 picks over the next 2 years
Holding Hold The Line GIF

Let's see what happens

Hawthorn got found out when finals pressure was applied

And that was against a shit truck side Port a lade

Brisbane have Daniher and an elite midfield

Their small fwd is Cameron

Rayner is a mid

Sydney has an elite midfield

Maybe I was bought up in 80s 90s full forwards Locket Dunstall Ablett Carey McKernan Lloyd i could name another 20 etc etc

Its easier to negate short players

Coaches will work them out

Got found out? They lost by 3 points, and their smalls accounted for about 80% of their scores???

Brisbane has about 5-7 small fwds. Rayner isn't a midfielders arseh*le.

Sydney has an elite team almost all over the park due to the leg ups the AFL afforded them and still do.

Coaches will slowly engage smaller defences imo. We will end up with teams full of 190cm athletes with a few kpp on lists and a heap of smalls.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back