List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

I find the whole setting standards thing a bit confusing. Wouldn’t Shiels & Greenwood given us enough of an insight into how best to prepare? Corr, Tucker and Logue come from successful clubs, why aren’t they setting standards?

We have a fair few players in that 23+ category (McDonald, Simpkin, LDU, Larkey, Zurhaar ect) surely they have a good enough idea now of what it takes to get the best out of themselves (excluding McDonald, because we know he is useless).

Not wanting to get into the on-field aspect, I am uncertain there myself. Hopefully he adds some structure to our forward line if nothing else.

But in terms of standards there is something in that. Something called sphere of influence. The more people you have all setting the standard the more chance you have of influencing the 'culture' (behaviour) of others. Out is Shiels and Greenwood, in is Parker and Darling. Training track, gym, recovery - i.e. mixing with the young players as players themselves - not as one of the coaches.

Now I also understand the point "isn't this a professional sporting team that shouldn't need someone to set standards - aren't the players already intrinsically motivated, shape up or ship out, get on the bus or get off, be part of the chase for silverware or find another home" - well some are with the obvious example being Sheezel. But everyone is different and footy clubs are big dynamic places with all types of personalities. Some people will respond to the coaches, others will respond to their fellow players better. Just the way some people are.

So as a coaching group you try to cover all scenarios. All angles, all ways to bring out the best of the group you have.

We are of course also limited by who is willing to come to the club.

I'm prepared to give him a go on-field, but I honestly expect him to do his best work off-field.

I spent several years in the military and got a thousand shitty pep talks from senior officers. When you're in the thick of the shit and everything hurts and you don't want to keep going, it's not the pep talk that keeps you going. It's the blokes next to you who are in the exact same position, who are feeling the same shit, they're the people that push you to keep going.
This is fact.

It should be painted onto the wall of the gym at Arden St (Nick Larkey, are you following this thread?).

Trade preview: Where key targets sit, Roos’ triple play, Tigers’ haul

North Melbourne is eyeing a bumper triple play in this year’s trade period to help the club rise up in Alastair Clarkson’s third year as coach.

The Kangaroos spoke with Western Bulldogs’ playmaker Caleb Daniel last week and are expected to land Sydney Swans’ veteran Luke Parker, 31, and West Coast forward Jack Darling, 32, next month.

Port Adelaide defender Dan Houston is also on the Kangaroos’ radar, however the dual All-Australian may yet nominate Carlton as his preferred new ho
me.

Daniel, 28, is yet to decide whether he will pursue a move from the kennel, following jet ballwinners Bailey Smith (Geelong) and Jack Macrae (St Kilda) out the door.

Daniel is expected to make a call on his future this week after talks with the Kangaroos on their vision for the next few seasons and the Dogs about his spot in the side.

The Dogs could demand a second-round pick for Daniel who played 16 games this year including his best performances in the last three games of the season.

In particular, Daniel’s excellent kicking skills would help North’s ball movement in the back half and middle part of the ground after 10 years at the Dogs

North would be thrilled to land Daniel and Parker to bolster their contested ball winning and ball movement, while Darling would allow gun tall Charlie Comben to stay in defence.

But the Dogs would hold the upper hand in any trade talks on Daniel’s future as he is contracted on a deal worth about $700,000 until the end of 2026.

The Dogs can also afford to keep Daniel, who is a popular team member, as the departures of Smith and Macrae clear up significant salary cap space for the club.

The Kangaroos also have significant salary cap room and want some top-line established talent to help the club lift out of the AFL doldrums after years at the bottom.

Parker, who played a defensive forward role on star Lion Harris Andrews in the grand final, is expected to depart the Swans following an exit meeting with the club over the next two days.

His toughness, consistency, leadership and experience are being targeted by North on a lucrative multi-year deal while Darling could help Nick Larkey in attack.

Parker spent the start of the season on the sidelines after a pre-season injury and had to bide his time in the VFL and will face a significant fight to secure a spot in the Swans’ senior side next year.

Teammate Taylor Adams was also left out of the premiership decider and is intent on breaking back into the seniors after his trade from Collingwood last year.

The Kangaroos could land Darling and Parker with late third and fourth-round picks, but would have to part with a top 25 pick to land the contracted Daniel.

Clarkson’s men have pick number two in the draft and are considering splitting that selection for two later choices in the first round.

The Roos have been linked to the best defender in this year’s draft class, Luke Trainor, who has family links to North Melbourne and is a keen Roos’ fan.

He is expected to be taken late in the first 10 selections, meaning the Roos could slide back from pick two to take him and have another late first-round pick to trade.

North Melbourne was interested in Melbourne hard nut Jack Viney but the Demon decided to stay, meaning the Roos set their sights on Parker.

Smith is expected to nominate Geelong as his preferred new home this week.

The Cats are also eyeing Jack Martin, from Carlton, is holidaying on Gold Coast amid interest from Fremantle as well.

Martin is set to decide on his new club this week amid frustrations with the way his injuries were managed at the Blues this year.

We are in absolutely no position to be gambling a first round selection on a young fella with concussion issues unfortunately.

My brother in Christ the coaches aren't out there with the players when it matters.

Alastair isn't doing line drills with all the other players at training when their legs feel like concrete and their lungs are burning. Parker is and he's going to make you look weak unless you push further.

Barlow isn't out on the field when there's 5 minutes left with the game on the line and the kids think they don't have anything left to give. Parker is.

There's a lot of things that if said by a coach just wont land. I spent several years in the military and got a thousand shitty pep talks from senior officers. When you're in the thick of the shit and everything hurts and you don't want to keep going, it's not the pep talk that keeps you going. It's the blokes next to you who are in the exact same position, who are feeling the same shit, they're the people that push you to keep going.
The players won't be with Darling or Parker when they are doing what counts the most for their fitness. Most of that isn't done at the club. If the players are relying on club training to build fitness then we may as well give up.

Lol nah, he's being massively underrated. He's a top 3 general defender in the league and has an absolute wand of a right peg. We should be doing everything possible to get him
He's got a history of concussions, there's a lot of young fellas getting medically retired in junior footy. There's no way we can afford another first round bust.

I find the whole setting standards thing a bit confusing. Wouldn’t Shiels & Greenwood given us enough of an insight into how best to prepare? Corr, Tucker and Logue come from successful clubs, why aren’t they setting standards?

We have a fair few players in that 23+ category (McDonald, Simpkin, LDU, Larkey, Zurhaar ect) surely they have a good enough idea now of what it takes to get the best out of themselves (excluding McDonald, because we know he is useless).
God, we've fallen so far that Fremantle are considered a successful club in comparison.

Davis was the physical standard setter(it was a condition on which he joined)which is precisely what North need now. If Parker (or anyone) can provide this North should grab them.

Yep, that's why I reckon Parker is probably the best of all the available types. Has a bit of aura too.

Davis probably could have gone another year. Rantall played a few more seasons but Wade was finished in 1975. It paid off big time for North.

Its amazing how often a change of scenery breathes life into careers.

Such a cop out imo.

Sheils was there for 2 years, and Greenwood for 3. If the players I mentioned above don't know how to set training standards by now, then we may as well trade the lot of them.

Standards need to be driven higher and higher every year.

Trade preview: Where key targets sit, Roos’ triple play, Tigers’ haul

North Melbourne is eyeing a bumper triple play in this year’s trade period to help the club rise up in Alastair Clarkson’s third year as coach.

The Kangaroos spoke with Western Bulldogs’ playmaker Caleb Daniel last week and are expected to land Sydney Swans’ veteran Luke Parker, 31, and West Coast forward Jack Darling, 32, next month.

Port Adelaide defender Dan Houston is also on the Kangaroos’ radar, however the dual All-Australian may yet nominate Carlton as his preferred new ho
me.

Daniel, 28, is yet to decide whether he will pursue a move from the kennel, following jet ballwinners Bailey Smith (Geelong) and Jack Macrae (St Kilda) out the door.

Daniel is expected to make a call on his future this week after talks with the Kangaroos on their vision for the next few seasons and the Dogs about his spot in the side.

The Dogs could demand a second-round pick for Daniel who played 16 games this year including his best performances in the last three games of the season.

In particular, Daniel’s excellent kicking skills would help North’s ball movement in the back half and middle part of the ground after 10 years at the Dogs

North would be thrilled to land Daniel and Parker to bolster their contested ball winning and ball movement, while Darling would allow gun tall Charlie Comben to stay in defence.

But the Dogs would hold the upper hand in any trade talks on Daniel’s future as he is contracted on a deal worth about $700,000 until the end of 2026.

The Dogs can also afford to keep Daniel, who is a popular team member, as the departures of Smith and Macrae clear up significant salary cap space for the club.

The Kangaroos also have significant salary cap room and want some top-line established talent to help the club lift out of the AFL doldrums after years at the bottom.

Parker, who played a defensive forward role on star Lion Harris Andrews in the grand final, is expected to depart the Swans following an exit meeting with the club over the next two days.

His toughness, consistency, leadership and experience are being targeted by North on a lucrative multi-year deal while Darling could help Nick Larkey in attack.

Parker spent the start of the season on the sidelines after a pre-season injury and had to bide his time in the VFL and will face a significant fight to secure a spot in the Swans’ senior side next year.

Teammate Taylor Adams was also left out of the premiership decider and is intent on breaking back into the seniors after his trade from Collingwood last year.

The Kangaroos could land Darling and Parker with late third and fourth-round picks, but would have to part with a top 25 pick to land the contracted Daniel.

Clarkson’s men have pick number two in the draft and are considering splitting that selection for two later choices in the first round.

The Roos have been linked to the best defender in this year’s draft class, Luke Trainor, who has family links to North Melbourne and is a keen Roos’ fan.

He is expected to be taken late in the first 10 selections, meaning the Roos could slide back from pick two to take him and have another late first-round pick to trade.

North Melbourne was interested in Melbourne hard nut Jack Viney but the Demon decided to stay, meaning the Roos set their sights on Parker.

Smith is expected to nominate Geelong as his preferred new home this week.

The Cats are also eyeing Jack Martin, from Carlton, is holidaying on Gold Coast amid interest from Fremantle as well.

Martin is set to decide on his new club this week amid frustrations with the way his injuries were managed at the Blues this year.

Where has the media’s fixation on us landing KPDs come from? Interesting.

Ends up being a high teens pick with FS and Academy coming in.
I reckon he's pretty underrated by non Richmond fans but he's rating elite in 2/7 stats this year and above average in the rest.
Would walk straight into our best 22.
He probably would , I just think (accepting it’ll push back a bit) 13 should be around the range for a KPP, good mid or a freak small fwd not effectively a flanker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The players won't be with Darling or Parker when they are doing what counts the most for their fitness. Most of that isn't done at the club. If the players are relying on club training to build fitness then we may as well give up.

I think that's where the influence comes from too, they will talk to the players about what they do away from the club. What it takes to be the best you can be. But away from the club they will mix socially with Parker and Darling in a way they would never mix with the coaches. The younger players will see them go home early, not drink to excess, turn up to training not hung over!

In the end though, the sporting world is littered with unfulfilled talent. Some will take it onboard. Others won't no matter what you do. The sooner we weed out those types the better. It's not the solution in of itself, it's just one piece of an overall plan to improve.

Plenty of stories where players credit the senior or retired players for showing them the way. Footballers (all athletes) need constant guidance and reinforcement. It never ends.

OK Luke Parker, let's look at this.

Fact 1: Here are his career Stats, we have noone close to this in our midst, what an example-setter to bring into the club.

Fact 2: In 2023 he was 4th in the Sydney B&F, pretty comfortable that he may have some decent footy left in him.

Fact 3: Has continued to be durable and play week in week out - and was impactful when he was thrown in the middle at times this year. 2024 numbers include being a sub and playing smart, sacrificial defensive roles that helped his club win a Prelim - team first.

Fact 4: He has been the Captain of a side, for 5 years I might add, renowned for its culture, permanently entrenched in the thick of finals action, so knows how to lead.

Anyone arguing against bringing this bloke in, given he wants to come and set a mark we assume, has complete rocks in their head.

Compare him to Shiels and Greenwood - please!

This bloke is an elite upgrade and I am pumped about having him lead our high-quality youngsters in Sheeze, Warlord etc for the next 2-3 years.

This is a coup and anyone stating differently, I truly do not know what planet you come from.
1727658534059.png

Attachments

• 1727658220793.png
    1727658220793.png
    8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Don't say you weren't all told. We are just a pawn in this one.

Gotta say, it's pretty hilarious the different negotiation styles.

Carlton: Houston speaking to Carlton regularly. Not picking up the phone to Port. Not trading Pick 11.

North: Houston hardly spoken to North. North are offering F1.
Part of me hopes we have told Carlton we aren't part of the bidding.

Fact 1: Here are his career Stats, we have noone close to this in our midst, what an example-setter to bring into the club.

Fact 2: In 2023 he was 4th in the Sydney B&F, pretty comfortable that he may have some decent footy left in him.

Fact 3: Has continued to be durable and play week in week out - and was impactful when he was thrown in the middle at times this year. 2024 numbers include being a sub and playing smart, sacrificial defensive roles that helped his club win a Prelim - team first.

Fact 4: He has been the Captain of a side renowned for its culture, permanently entrenched in the thick of finals action, so knows how to lead.

Anyone arguing against bringing this bloke in, given he wants to come and set a mark we assume, has complete rocks in their head.

This bloke is an elite upgrade and I am pumped about having him lead our high-quality youngsters in Sheeze, Warlord etc for the next 2-3 years.

This is a coup and anyone stating differently, I truly do not know what planet you come from.
View attachment 2126576
Yep. Almost couldn't ask for a better fit for our team. Shiels still had the brain but the body was struggling even in his first year.

Hence the pinned meme post.

aint nobody got time for that GIF

Fact 4: He has been the Captain of a side, for 5 years I might add, renowned for its culture, permanently entrenched in the thick of finals action, so knows how to lead.

View attachment 2126576
I don't think anyone on here is arguing against Parker coming across???

Yep, happy for Carlton to dick around Poorta.
The fact that Port really want us involved probably tells you everything you need to know. We should only ever deal with that club when we have total leverage of the scenario. Pretty much the complete opposite of the Houston situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back