Player Watch #21: Callum Coleman-Jones - out for season after suffering Achilles rupture vs CFC on GoodFriday - go well CCJ

Remove this Banner Ad

He looks undymnamic. No agility. Appears to be dangerous in the forwardline without really clunking marks. His tap work in those VFL hilights looked good.

What do the good football judges think? Is this guy likely to just be a good role player for us? I mean Edwards and Comben are probably the opposite to this guy so he's likely being brought in to compliment those two and Larkey.

He looks undymnamic. No agility. Appears to be dangerous in the forwardline without really clunking marks. His tap work in those VFL hilights looked good.

What do the good football judges think? Is this guy likely to just be a good role player for us? I mean Edwards and Comben are probably the opposite to this guy so he's likely being brought in to compliment those two and Larkey.
I don't claim to be a good football judge but I will have a crack.
@ 22 years old KPP very rarely have shown a lot.
He has shown a bit. Not a great deal.
He is very different from our other KPP. I think that improves us as a group.
The blind bombs forward our mids do on occasion will be more suited to his play.
Good one out. Good contested mark rather than a lead up man.
I can see him playing the deep forward role for us and swapping with Goldy.
My 2c

Last edited:
I reckon youse would have been better off never getting Lynch. You might say he was important in 2019, i dunno it was a long time ago (and I missed alot of that finals series and the late part of that season actually,) but I really think he is a bit over priced and maybe over rated. Since then I haven't thought that much of him.

Especially the way you guys played over that time, what mattered was the way the other players did their jobs. It was the way the so called role players played, with discipline, understanding their role and committment to carrying it out. Sure having someone like Martin there for the big games helped but it was that attitude and buy in, for lack of a better term, that really mattered imo.
Lynch won them the 2019 prelim.

I don't claim to be a good football judge but I will have a crack.
@ 22 years old KPP very rarely have shown a lot.
He has shown a bit. Not a great deal.
He is very different from our other KPP. I think that improves us as a group.
The blind bombs forward our mids do on occasion will be more suited to his play.
Good one out. Good contested mark rather than a lead up man.
I can see him play the deep forward role for us and swapping with Goldy.
My 2c

Speaking to Richmond mates they say his most positive aspect is his launch at the ball/crashing packs/pretty sticky dukes.

They all seem to have big question marks around his ruck work, which may be due to lack of exposure, will have to wait and see on that one.

For what it’s worth there are a couple of nice follow ups in that highlights package, but in terms of mobility, he’s clearly not going to be a Luke Jackson below his knees, which is fine. Someone mentioned the Ottens comparison, which obviously is best case. If he can provide a marking presence like Ottens around the ground as well as bring some physicality, it’s going to be great.

Speaking to Richmond mates they say his most positive aspect is his launch at the ball/crashing packs/pretty sticky dukes.

They all seem to have big question marks around his ruck work, which may be due to lack of exposure, will have to wait and see on that one.

For what it’s worth there are a couple of nice follow ups in that highlights package, but in terms of mobility, he’s clearly not going to be a Luke Jackson below his knees, which is fine. Someone mentioned the Ottens comparison, which obviously is best case. If he can provide a marking presence like Ottens around the ground as well as bring some physicality, it’s going to be great.
I don't mind the Ottens comparison
I was thinking more Paul Salmon.
I don't see CCJ as being as mobile as Ottens.

Last edited:
I suspect CCJ and his manager wanted his old club to be given a decent form of compensation and didn't want to go through PSD and once you commit to a young kid you are obligated to get the deal done. Interesting we gave up the round 2 2022 pick, its probably fair if its a mid twenties pick, perhaps we planned on trading that out anyway next year (Father/son bid) or have a way to get back into 2nd round?

Anyway welcome to the club CCJ. I see shades of Petrie but I also see shades of Mason Cox but i'm certain he is a better forward that Xerri at this stage and still hasn't hit 50 games yet so I will judge him when he should feel like he belongs. His kicking is a bit wonky but seems kick goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Breaking news - young ruckman who is still filling out and gaining mass and strength isn't dominating hitouts in his limited time contesting stoppages. It's almost as if we should expect that big men take time.

Breaking news - young ruckman who is still filling out and gaining mass and strength isn't dominating hitouts in his limited time contesting stoppages. It's almost as if we should expect that big men take time.

Funnily enough they all question his aggression as well. Which I’m fairly sure Brady called out as a trait that we think he will bring.

yeah for sure - hiiiighly likely i imagine. which is admirable sure but.......
If it is the case then there's not much you can do about it. If you ruled out the PSD as an option the trade was probably reasonably close to reflecting his value. It sucks, but that's life. In a way it would be a good thing, as it shows CCJ does value loyalty and fairness even if he's in the midst of jumping ship.

mate totally agree. the whole compo thing with Tarrant in there muddies the waters. If it was open market and a clean trade I think that something around 20-25 is win-win. We'd want a little more, you'd wanna pay a little less. Bobby hill will probably go to Essendon for a pick in the mid to late 20's (or better?!) and CCJ is the type of player, just coming into his expected upswing that is worth WAY more than a decent small fwd.

Now that the bullsh!t of the trade banter is over and we can all post like adults ill give you my opinion of Cj and you guys are either welcome to delete or read and thats your prerogative.

Richmond identified Cj as a talent with leadership and talent , He arrived at Richmond but whilst he had the build his strength was an issue and incapable of competing against the mature Rucks in the VFL so the club took a very different approach to his development to build him without damaging him as some young rucks when thrown into the deep end. He was given training schedule differentl to other rucks and played 1 of every 3 games in the VFL and spent more time foward than ruck.

His 2nd year he played 50/50 ruck and was capable but not really competitive against the better rucks but did well but showed very good promise as a foward / Ruck. 2020 was a write off for most VFL teams and Cj was playing in a covid scrimmage matches and did very well and showed alot of promise and was next in line but unfortunately Kebab Gate happened and he missed his chance to make his claim to Soldo's position and eventually missed out on playing 2020 premiership team (bad Timing to be naughty )

2021 he was suspended then had a couple of VFL games and then senior games where again he played well as a foward but not s well as a ruckman but did well. Then he was injured with the calf and missed 2 games i think and came back and finished the season reasonably well.

I dont see him as a Brad Ottens type Ruck as brad was very mobile and had more agility and leap (Tyrone Vickery had similar traits to ottens but not the talent or work ethic) Brad Ottens was also a more dynamic player on the ground where you just knew he was a constant danger and teams would need to watch him.

For me if i had to say who i think Cj is the most like or like to become similar to from the current list of Ruckman i would say Ben Mc Evoy would be the player i see.

Cheers good luck but hope you guys finish last and get a PP & #1 pick and we get #19 ;)

Now that the bullsh!t of the trade banter is over and we can all post like adults ill give you my opinion of Cj and you guys are either welcome to delete or read and thats your prerogative.

Richmond identified Cj as a talent with leadership and talent , He arrived at Richmond but whilst he had the build his strength was an issue and incapable of competing against the mature Rucks in the VFL so the club took a very different approach to his development to build him without damaging him as some young rucks when thrown into the deep end. He was given training schedule differentl to other rucks and played 1 of every 3 games in the VFL and spent more time foward than ruck.

His 2nd year he played 50/50 ruck and was capable but not really competitive against the better rucks but did well but showed very good promise as a foward / Ruck. 2020 was a write off for most VFL teams and Cj was playing in a covid scrimmage matches and did very well and showed alot of promise and was next in line but unfortunately Kebab Gate happened and he missed his chance to make his claim to Soldo's position and eventually missed out on playing 2020 premiership team (bad Timing to be naughty )

2021 he was suspended then had a couple of VFL games and then senior games where again he played well as a foward but not s well as a ruckman but did well. Then he was injured with the calf and missed 2 games i think and came back and finished the season reasonably well.

I dont see him as a Brad Ottens type Ruck as brad was very mobile and had more agility and leap (Tyrone Vickery had similar traits to ottens but not the talent or work ethic) Brad Ottens was also a more dynamic player on the ground where you just knew he was a constant danger and teams would need to watch him.

For me if i had to say who i think Cj is the most like or like to become similar to from the current list of Ruckman i would say Ben Mc Evoy would be the player i see.

Cheers good luck but hope you guys finish last and get a PP & #1 pick and we get #19 ;)

Thanks for the insight :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #21: Callum Coleman-Jones - out for season after suffering Achilles rupture vs CFC on GoodFriday - go well CCJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back