Player Watch #25: Toby Nankervis - Signed Until 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

seems like the rule change is favouring guys like nank
A load of dribble to me as it’s insignificant just most rucks haven’t adapted fast enough to the change and it will close up soon as coaches get onto it.

Had a lot of different midfield combinations since he arrived in 2017 yet consistently been a shit clearance team, the one common dominator is this fat useless oaf. Can't direct a hit out to save himself, gets in the road of our on ballers trying to win the ball which allows the opposition to leak out the other side of the stoppage. Constantly out ran by his opponent around the ground which makes it harder to exit our 50 and easier for the opposition to exist ours. His opponent is good for a goal a game cause he can't execute a simple spoil from a long pot shot on goal.

Seriously ****ing useless player.

Had a lot of different midfield combinations since he arrived in 2017 yet consistently been a s**t clearance team, the one common dominator is this fat useless oaf. Can't direct a hit out to save himself, gets in the road of our on ballers trying to win the ball which allows the opposition to leak out the other side of the stoppage. Constantly out ran by his opponent around the ground which makes it harder to exit our 50 and easier for the opposition to exist ours. His opponent is good for a goal a game cause he can't execute a simple spoil from a long pot shot on goal.

Seriously ******* useless player.
Garbage. Nank is fine against the best ruck combo in the league and the best clearance team in the league.

I think the way he plays over the years has caught up with him. Unfortunately was probably always going to have a career that ended a bit prematurely because of it (similar to Ivan) given the battering ram he’s been.

He’s obviously got a year or two in him, but maybe relinquishing the captaincy would be the best thing for him and hopefully if we have a young ruck come into the list he can help develop them as his successor

Bad resigning has he got 2 years left in him I would have done 1 year
He's only 29. I'd be trying to bring in a young ruck to play alongside him for a couple of years, but I still think he's got two good years left in him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have only done 1 year with triggers for a second. I have issues with Nank's durability among other things but I won't rain on the parade and this time can be used to celebrate him. Constructive criticism can come later.

Don't mind the 2 years - we really need him as Ryan is far too green, Naismith is busted and our other ex baller prospects are slogging it away in the amateurs or injured...

Would ask him to relinquish the captaincy though...

I'd ask Dan Rioli to lead the club from next year.

The great man.

Top 10 for all rucks in disposals, contested possessions, intercept possessions, ground ball gets, clearances, tackles, hitouts, hitouts to advantage and pressure acts.

Having a very good year despite what the nuffies say. We'd still be just as shit with a prime trent cotchin as captain yet the peanuts rag on Toby just because he took over when the team was over the hill.

What a pickup.

Nank is similar to Vlaus and Prestia.

Respected at RFC and under-appreciated elsewhere.

Likely would have at least one AA nomination if at another club.
Or put another way, if the All Australian selectors were objective (free of club link bias).

The 2019 AA is the biggest disgrace (Prestia’s dominant season , same for Vlaus 2019/2020).

I don’t hold much hope that the appalling omissions will be addressed this year.

The 2024 All-Australian selection panel
Andrew Dillon, Laura Kane, Josh Mahoney, Eddie Betts, Jude Bolton, Nathan Buckley, Kane Cornes, Glen Jakovich , Abbey Holmes and Matthew Pavlich.

The 2023 All-Australian selection panel Gillon McLachlan, Kevin Bartlett, Eddie Betts, Jude Bolton, Nathan Buckley, Kane Cornes, Andrew Dillon, Glen Jakovich, Laura Kane, Cameron Ling, and Matthew Pavlich

2020 All Australian selection panel is Gillon McLachlan (chairman), Kevin Bartlett, Luke Darcy, Steve Hocking, Glen Jakovich, [/B]Chris Johnson[B], Cameron Ling, Matthew Richardson and Warren Tredrea,

2020 Tigers All-Australian Selection
PlayerYearPosition
D Martin
2020​
Full-Forward​
D Grimes
2020​
Nominated​
N Vlastuin
2020​
Nominated​

Jack Dyer-Short (not even nominated)

2019 Gillon McLachlan (chairman), Kevin Bartlett, Luke Darcy, Danny Frawley, Steve Hocking, Glen Jakovich, [/B]Chris Johnson[B], Cameron Ling, Matthew Richardson and Warren Tredrea,

2019 Tigers All-Australian Selection
PlayerYearPosition
D Grimes
2019​
Full-Back​
B Houli
2019​
Center Half-Back​
D Martin
2019​
Nominated​
D Prestia
2019​
Nominated​

Jack Dyer-Prestia

2018 chairman Gillon McLachlan, Kevin Bartlett, Luke Darcy, Danny Frawley, Steve Hocking, Glen Jakovich, Chris Johnson, Cameron Ling, Matthew Richardson and Warren Tredrea

2018 Tigers All-Australian Selection
PlayerYearPosition
A Rance
2018​
Full-Back​
D Martin
2018​
Centre​
J Riewoldt
2018​
Full-Forward​
S Edwards
2018​
Interchange​
J Caddy
2018​
Nominated​
T Cotchin
2018​
Nominated​
D Grimes
2018​
Nominated​
K Lambert
2018​
Nominated​

Jack Dyer-Riewoldt

Gillon McLachlan, Kevin Bartlett, Luke Darcy, Andrew Dillon, Danny Frawley, Glen Jakovich, Chris Johnson, Cameron Ling, Matthew Richardson and Warren Tredrea.

2017 Tigers All-Australian Selection
PlayerYearPosition
A Rance Captain
2017​
Full-Back​
D Martin
2017​
Centre​

Jack Dyer- Martin

Last edited:
Im ok with 2 years

Like most others have said think he should relinquish the captaincy if not for 2025 then certainly for the following year
If we didnt value him enough to give him 2 years there would be clubs that would easily give him 2 and some 3 year deals

We really dont have a replacement for him so must keep

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #25: Toby Nankervis - Signed Until 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back