Player Watch #25: Toby Nankervis - Signed Until 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

He crunched Whitfield in the last five mins of the game. Winded him, and Whitfield was cooked for the rest of the game. Important in the context of the game.

Irreplaceable. Leaves us exposed in ruck, mid and down back given tbe great man's intercept marking. Do we blood Miller as extra tall or just go with Mabs and bring in Pickett? I'm suddenly worried about peptides and West coke even more. Height everywhere.

argh, i did predict this. Its quite common for players to get a knee contact injury in a game, get a jab - play it out, then miss long periods afterwards once the swelling kicks in.

I would really hope that his injury was not compounded with him coming back onto the ground and playing on.

We are effectively rooted now. Relying on Chol, CCJ & Picket to carry the ruck. Looking ahead out our matches, the games against the Pies & Eagles prove to be much more difficult - Nit Nat and Grundy will go rampant against Chol.

I am just not sure how the side can keep covering these injuries - Every match feels like either a season defining or season ending game. As i have said in previous post, our top 4 chances are next to nil already - even if we win literally every game except for a loss to Lions, cats or Eagles away, i had us at best finishing 6th. Realistically based on the current "outs", we would do well to win only 1 of those games now. If we lose to any of the Bombers, Dockers, Pies etc - we are in real strife of finishing in 7th or 8th which has us most likely interstate for 2, maybe 3 finals.

I wonder how much this changes what we do in the mid-season draft also

Without re-digging up old news.... but do you all remember me saying that we desperately needed another back up ruckman ( Peter Wright was my main guy ) incase Toby went down, which was incredibly likely? This is exactly why - he is a wrecking ball that would destroy himself to get the job done if you allowed him to. If the season goes down as a result of us not being able to cover this, we only have ourselves (the club) to blame - we knew we were short in this area going into the season & I also thought we were possibly short in the tooth for KPF depth - we did SFA to cover it. As it turned out, we have seen our depth in both area's be whacked & Peter Wright would have been a fairly competent cover in both those areas - I would definitely feel a bit more hope if we had Wright, CCJ, Chol & Riewoldt being our Ruck & KPF stocks over the next month while we wait for Toby & Tom to return.

The lack of depth is on the club on this one, this was completely foreseeable going into the season with Soldo down - we needed another mature body option as back up & we didn't even enquire about it - was dumb at the time and seems dumber now

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always look on the bright side of life ................................. Dah dah dah dah da da da da da dahh

We would have had to have rested him at some point
We will have a bye in there somewhere and he will most likely miss 4-5 games and be back for the tail end
CCJ - Chol - Miller - Ryan will all get a bit of a run with Chol/Cj getting good air time before they leave to their new clubs

12. Bombers - Average Ruck's
13. Eagles - We can never beat Nic Nat anyway
Bye
14. St Kilda - Marshall is out and just Ryder
15. Gold Coast - They have no Ruckman and will rely on the mid season player they pickup
16. Collingwood - Need i say more

This year certainly is a year where we have been forced to call on our depth but whilst doing that are getting good game time into our kids with development as well as getting currency into our tradeable's

Always look on the bright side of life ................................. Dah dah dah dah da da da da da dahh

We will have a bye in there somewhere and he will most likely miss 4-5 games and be back for the tail end
CCJ - Chol - Miller - Ryan will all get a bit of a run with Chol/Cj getting good air time before they leave to their new clubs

Bye
15. Gold Coast - They have no Ruckman and will rely on the mid season player they pickup

This year certainly is a year where we have been forced to call on our depth but whilst doing that are getting good game time into our kids with development as well as getting currency into our tradeable's
It's times like this where a club can shine. The ones coming in wouldn't get a game so the club can either prosper from them or not. So far they have not let anyone down and hope it continues. Nank though has been our most consistent player he isn't someone that can be replaced. It is funny though reading in here as people are saying we have so many talls and we will lose some than all of a sudden we are doomed lol.

Bye

The good thing about the first 4 is none are good around the ground.

Chol will jump over Nic Nat

Massive loss made worse with Soldo unavailable. That leaves us nothing proven in the ruck at AFL level.

Chol can sometimes be a bit meek and doesn't love crashing into bodies while I dont think CCJ has the experience yet and might get lost at AFL level around the ground.

Hopefully doesn't cost us any wins, we will feel it most this week and against the Eagles.

This sucks. Soldo and Nank out.

But we have cover for a while.

It'll be interesting to see what we do. Sampson as ruck, rotating with Chol and CCJ.

Maybe bring Miller in to replace Dave and play some ruck.

Opportunity comes from problems

argh, i did predict this. Its quite common for players to get a knee contact injury in a game, get a jab - play it out, then miss long periods afterwards once the swelling kicks in.

I would really hope that his injury was not compounded with him coming back onto the ground and playing on.

We are effectively rooted now. Relying on Chol, CCJ & Picket to carry the ruck. Looking ahead out our matches, the games against the Pies & Eagles prove to be much more difficult - Nit Nat and Grundy will go rampant against Chol.

I am just not sure how the side can keep covering these injuries - Every match feels like either a season defining or season ending game. As i have said in previous post, our top 4 chances are next to nil already - even if we win literally every game except for a loss to Lions, cats or Eagles away, i had us at best finishing 6th. Realistically based on the current "outs", we would do well to win only 1 of those games now. If we lose to any of the Bombers, Dockers, Pies etc - we are in real strife of finishing in 7th or 8th which has us most likely interstate for 2, maybe 3 finals.

I wonder how much this changes what we do in the mid-season draft also

Without re-digging up old news.... but do you all remember me saying that we desperately needed another back up ruckman ( Peter Wright was my main guy ) incase Toby went down, which was incredibly likely? This is exactly why - he is a wrecking ball that would destroy himself to get the job done if you allowed him to. If the season goes down as a result of us not being able to cover this, we only have ourselves (the club) to blame - we knew we were short in this area going into the season & I also thought we were possibly short in the tooth for KPF depth - we did SFA to cover it. As it turned out, we have seen our depth in both area's be whacked & Peter Wright would have been a fairly competent cover in both those areas - I would definitely feel a bit more hope if we had Wright, CCJ, Chol & Riewoldt being our Ruck & KPF stocks over the next month while we wait for Toby & Tom to return.

The lack of depth is on the club on this one, this was completely foreseeable going into the season with Soldo down - we needed another mature body option as back up & we didn't even enquire about it - was dumb at the time and seems dumber now
About a month ago on the topic of trading players midseason, Dimma said he would love to be able to give players who are not playing seniors a chance to get the opportunity. He named Ryan as a player on the Richmond list who the club is forced to play at FF in the 2s because of the two rucks ahead of him, but is a ruckman and it would be great to see him somewhere like the Suns who need a ruck, giving him an opportunity.

Well, here we have it. Now people are going to say 'he's not ready'. But the coach has stated he is. There are plenty of 200cm VFL players going around... Just watch the midseason draft, but they are VFL players. Ryan looks like a quality player to me and we could easily put some games into him now. But we have Chol and CCJ, so ????

About a month ago on the topic of trading players midseason, Dimma said he would love to be able to give players who are not playing seniors a chance to get the opportunity. He named Ryan as a player on the Richmond list who the club is forced to play at FF in the 2s because of the two rucks ahead of him, but is a ruckman and it would be great to see him somewhere like the Suns who need a ruck, giving him an opportunity.

Well, here we have it. Now people are going to say 'he's not ready'. But the coach has stated he is. There are plenty of 200cm VFL players going around... Just watch the midseason draft, but they are VFL players. Ryan looks like a quality player to me and we could easily put some games into him now. But we have Chol and CCJ, so ????

I cannot see Ryan being anywhere near ready for AFL ruck duties. There is a reason Chol and CCJ are rucking ahead of him at VFL level. He is mobile, has good reactions and is skilled Ryan but was getting pushed around at QAFL level last year so AFL rucks would monster him at this stage.

Chol will ruck. CCJ will be second ruck. If they vary that this week my money would be on Miller comes in as second ruck to Chol and both play a bit forward as well.

If we make finals, which we should, we may benefit from the fact the following will have missed stretches of AFL matches during the season through :

Nankervis
Cotchin
Lambert
Vlastuin
Prestia
Edwards
Houli
Astbury
Lynch
Caddy
Bolton
Collier-Dawkins
Chol
Coleman-Jones

Possibly even Stack.

Realistically anything up to 12-13 best 22 players selected in a final will arrive at finals having played 18 or less matches already. Providing they are all at or near their best for finals then that extra element of freshness can help against teams like Melbourne who are shaping as having a hell of a lot of players playing 20+ AFL matches pre finals. They have 13 who have played every match and another 4 who have missed only one match. Over the next 2 matches Richmond will have Astbury Lynch Rioli Nankervis at least dropping off our list of players who have missed one or less matches, reducing that list to a maximum of 12 by the time the Eagles match has been played.

Really if Nankervis recovers fully he should benefit from the mid-season freshen up.

I cannot see Ryan being anywhere near ready for AFL ruck duties. There is a reason Chol and CCJ are rucking ahead of him at VFL level. He is mobile, has good reactions and is skilled Ryan but was getting pushed around at QAFL level last year so AFL rucks would monster him at this stage.

Chol will ruck. CCJ will be second ruck. If they vary that this week my money would be on Miller comes in as second ruck to Chol and both play a bit forward as well.

If we make finals, which we should, we may benefit from the fact the following will have missed stretches of AFL matches during the season through :

Nankervis
Cotchin
Lambert
Vlastuin
Prestia
Edwards
Houli
Astbury
Lynch
Caddy
Bolton
Collier-Dawkins
Chol
Coleman-Jones

Possibly even Stack.

Realistically anything up to 12-13 best 22 players selected in a final will arrive at finals having played 18 or less matches already. Providing they are all at or near their best for finals then that extra element of freshness can help against teams like Melbourne who are shaping as having a hell of a lot of players playing 20+ AFL matches pre finals. They have 13 who have played every match and another 4 who have missed only one match. Over the next 2 matches Richmond will have Astbury Lynch Rioli Nankervis at least dropping off our list of players who have missed one or less matches, reducing that list to a maximum of 12 by the time the Eagles match has been played.

Really if Nankervis recovers fully he should benefit from the mid-season freshen up.
Fully agree with this - it can be a blessing in disguise if we win enough games to finish top 6. I'm a fan of a rotation system for our rucks and potentially midfield as well - to freshen them up. It seems when we have injuries we do better and look fresher when it comes to finals - 2018 we had a great run with injuries but looked cooked late in the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #25: Toby Nankervis - Signed Until 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back