Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to see Parker back in but the way Longmire said of Mills and Parker “I am sure I can see them playing roles this year” (paraphrasing) made me think that Parker is no certainty of becoming a regular starter. I am sure he wasn’t referring to Mills, though maybe it is typical Longmire understated language…

I dont disagree that Parker has been part of some poor performances in the past, but I think you'll see his value when he comes back into this side.
We all know what Parker is going to bring - he is invaluable in some aspects, but in others he is utter average. I don't think he is conducive to our style of play anymore. He would've been a star in the 90's, but in today's game when we're on the ropes he appears to bust his gut to no avail. He reminds me of a kid furiously trying to dig a hole in sand whilst the sides fall in with each shovel.

That vfl game where he so called dominated, his decision making was so poor in addition to his 6 over the head bombs. Our worst games are when we start kicking long into 50, and we did that for periods against stkilda and got no where - he would've been the guy adding to that problem rather than adjusting. There's a reason why he couldn't break into the team and i rekn the coaches are very well aware of his faults.

In saying that i'm more than happy to throw parker in and see if he can give us an edge. But if I see 1 single overhead bomb I will be so far off the Parker train it's not funny. I know it's a bit of a cliche, but it is genuinely infuriating and a detriment to the team when he does it, and it's not limited to his overhead style ones. The swans strong point is absorbing pressure and working in tight out of congestion, very very rarely do we see the pressure release kick these days from our mob, and imo it's one of the top reasons why we're so good atm - Parker's pressure release valve is set quite low and have no doubt we will see it multiple times a game to our detriment. He's fine in link up play but in congestion it takes away our outlets in Gulden and chad whom Adams consistently finds.

The only guy he should be replacing is Adams, but the thing is Adams has demonstrated his ability to supplement the modern day team rather than be a focal point. Parker only has one mode.

Last edited:
Parker is still a good player.

But today’s game is far quicker and aerobic than it used to be (when he was younger and a bit quicker).

Sure, give him a go in the 1’s, no problem, but I think he won’t be able to keep up with the pace of the game and struggle. He can’t play the Wicks type role, fullstop… but perhaps could play the ‘stay at home’ full forward role with some pinch hitting in the middle?

Btw, I hope he proves me wrong, cause he’s been a legend of the club… but similar to Francis, I think his lack of speed and fitness will find him out. 🤷‍♂️

Wish the match winning superstar being described had of been available in some
of our finals losses in the last decade.
You're just taking the piss now mate.

Everyone other than maybe Chad had their colours lowered in 2022 yet you harp on it as definitive proof that Parker wouldn't make the side better.

Guess we should drop Heeney, Gulden and Rampe, then bring in Gus instead of Mills if that's the criteria.

Or the snarky response would be if only we had someone running around doing elite cardio in the forward line maybe we would have won those finals, right?

Maybe if we keep disagreeing on Parks the way we did Heeney the last couple of years, he'll have a career year next season 😉

Last edited:
Parker is still a good player.

But today’s game is far quicker and aerobic than it used to be (when he was younger and a bit quicker).

Sure, give him a go in the 1’s, no problem, but I think he won’t be able to keep up with the pace of the game and struggle. He can’t play the Wicks type role, fullstop… but perhaps could play the ‘stay at home’ full forward role with some pinch hitting in the middle?

Btw, I hope he proves me wrong, cause he’s been a legend of the club… but similar to Francis, I think his lack of speed and fitness will find him out. 🤷‍♂️
I hope he proves you wrong too.

But tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct but given the club gave him a new contract and he has been such a good player for us, i think he deserves a chance.

Heeney wont be out. We'll get his charge downgraded.

Bring him in for Campbell or Roberts or Adams would be my choice. Personal preference in for Campbell and keep Roberts in defence and running down the wing.

Parker to play fwd/mid

Heeney should be out regardless for a rest.

I agree with The King!

Absence makes the heart grow fonder it seems.

Yes we've been beaten up in the contest a few times this year, and had a few listless, lethargic performances this year, and failed to deliver in tight, close finishes a few times this year.

But three such occasions still absolutely pales in comparison to how often the above happened in any other season when Parker was in the team. Are we forgetting we're in the middle of one of our best ever seasons? It's happened without Parker.

Do I think Parker not being in the team is a reason we've been so good this year? No. Do I think Parker being in the team was a reason we'd not been as good in previous years? Also no. He's just one player and I don't think he's a player influential enough to dictate a team's performance one way or the other.

Now we are in a clear slump, and some players' form and role in the team should rightly be scrutinised. And on the flip-side, options below them should rightly be looked at as alternatives. I believe Parker is one such option. If the coaches think Parker is fit enough and sharp enough to be able to offer more than a Wicks or a Campbell then I'll back their selections in. Because they've given us very little reason not to this year. But if they elect not to, I'd back them in in that front as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with The King!

Absence makes the heart grow fonder it seems.

Yes we've been beaten up in the contest a few times this year, and had a few listless, lethargic performances this year, and failed to deliver in tight, close finishes a few times this year.

But three such occasions still absolutely pales in comparison to how often the above happened in any other season when Parker was in the team. Are we forgetting we're in the middle of one of our best ever seasons? It's happened without Parker.

Do I think Parker not being in the team is a reason we've been so good this year? No. Do I think Parker being in the team was a reason we'd not been as good in previous years? Also no. He's just one player and I don't think he's a player influential enough to dictate a team's performance one way or the other.

Now we are in a clear slump, and some players' form and role in the team should rightly be scrutinised. And on the flip-side, options below them should rightly be looked at as alternatives. I believe Parker is one such option. If the coaches think Parker is fit enough and sharp enough to be able to offer more than a Wicks or a Campbell then I'll back their selections in. Because they've given us very little reason not to this year. But if they elect not to, I'd back them in in that front as well.
Not disagreeing with anything.

Just querying "Now we are in a clear slump". If we had won those two close games by scoring a handful of points, would we still be in a clear slump?

Not disagreeing with anything.

Just querying "Now we are in a clear slump". If we had won those two close games by scoring a handful of points, would we still be in a clear slump?
For sure. I don't think slump = losses. You can still win playing poorly by your standards, and we very nearly did.

For sure. I don't think slump = losses. You can still win playing poorly by your standards, and we very nearly did.
Agree with this i think the last 5 games have been to a certain extent a slump like all of our key indicators as why we are a good side have halved or if not in some cases gone negative. Would like to see Parker be played but looks like its unlikely at this stage and back into the VFL this week

Great discussion happening. I for one will reserve judgment on Parker until a later date. In early 2022, I remember saying Sam Reid was done. He ended up being in career best form and was a big reason why we made it to the GF. I also remember thinking Harry Cunningham was done when he couldn't break the team in the same year. He is currently one of our most underrated and important players.

All I am saying is funny things happen when we begin to write off players, let alone one who is/was considered a superstar of the competition. I guess we will wait and see, but I won't be burying him any time soon.

Then WTF is your point? Using the entire teams performance in years past to bash Parker, when he has always been among our top-tier, best performing players, is demented logic.

Then WTF is your point? Using the entire teams performance in years past to bash Parker, when he has always been among our top-tier, best performing players, is demented logic.
It's actually possible to not rate a player that highly and think we could use them differently without thinking they are responsible for the whole team's performance...

If he has been at full training throughout the suspension then he should be straight back in this time. This doesn't need to be complicated.
Hasn't he been mentoring Hanily whilst he was migrating into the club and Hanily only got to the club in like early June.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back