Certified Legendary Thread 2nd Ashes Test England v Australia June 28-July 2 1930hrs @ Lords

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing has ever been said by Khawaja on what he took offense at. When he did speak, it sounded to me like it was more what was being said to the team rather than any individual and i never got the feeling it was race related against him.

Sounded like he just stood up for the team and told the crowd/stuards what they were saying was too far - i got the feeling more in relation to them being cheats etc.

I don't think it was anything racist - I think Khawaja has higher standards of behaviour and integrity than a lot of people, so when he felt like the abuse was out of line, he called them out on it (where as most people would just shrug it off as dickheads being dickheads).

I don't think it was anything racist - I think Khawaja has higher standards of behaviour and integrity than a lot of people, so when he felt like the abuse was out of line, he called them out on it (where as most people would just shrug it off as dickheads being dickheads).
I saw somewhere that he took umbrage to them being called "****ing cheats"

Dont blame him. Ussie would have to be the most gentle, honest human in the side by a fair margin. Plus they didnt cheat anyway so hes within his rights to be angered by it
It's almost as if he was offended on behalf of the good folk of the MCC - says he really likes it there normally and that that was way out of line and called them up on it.

The standard you walk by is the standard you accept - good on ya Uz.

Dictionary online been updated already >

Bairstowed.

noun

1. a series of pleasant thoughts that distract one's attention from the present.
    "she was lost in a Bairstow"

Similar:
    daydream, reverie, trance, fantasy, vision, fancy, hallucination, musing.

verb
    1. indulge in a Bairstow.
      "stop Bairstowing and pay attention"

Similar: Stare into space, be lost in thought.

BREAKING NEWS:-

The ECB has just announced that future series between England and Australia will no longer be contested for "the Ashes"

The famous old Urn will be retired and be replaced with the Spirit of Cricket Plate.

A spokesman for the ECB said that the results of Test matches will no longer determine which country wins or retains the Plate

The winners will instead be determined by which side is considered to have played the more morally pure cricket.

Although the arbiters of the winning side are yet to be officially announced, it is strongly rumoured that members of the Lords Long Room will vote as a collective at the end of each Series.

When queried about the rumour a spokes-gentleman for the ECB said he had no further comment to make at this point of time.

What about something like this?

That's an awesome video, brilliant how many cases of England/ their coach being dirty campaigners are popping up. That case was obviously a laws of the game situation though. The bairstow one was a spirit of the game decision. Don't feel bad, you aren't English so can't be expected to know the difference.

BREAKING NEWS:-

The ECB has just announced that future series between England and Australia will no longer be contested for "the Ashes"

The famous old Urn will be retired and be replaced with the Spirit of Cricket Plate.

A spokesman for the ECB said that the results of Test matches will no longer determine which country wins or retains the Plate

The winners will instead be determined by which side is considered to have played the more morally pure cricket.

Although the arbiters of the winning side are yet to be officially announced, it is strongly rumoured that members of the Lords Long Room will vote as a collective at the end of each Series.

When queried about the rumour a spokes-gentleman for the ECB said he had no further comment to make at this point of time.
First Test Match played under the new rules - The England Virtue Signallers v The Australian Righteousness Brothers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's an awesome video, brilliant how many cases of England/ their coach being dirty campaigners are popping up. That case was obviously a laws of the game situation though. The bairstow one was a spirit of the game decision. Don't feel bad, you aren't English so can't be expected to know the difference.
The Laws:
Either umpire shall call and signal Dead ball when

20.4.2.2 a possibly serious injury to a player or umpire occurs.

Yes. And a cricketer on field in the first test and MCC member in the rooms in the second test have both picked out Khawaja for abuse. If Khawaja was as mouthy as a Warner or Lab, fair enough, but they have picked out the most placid player in the team on both occasions. I wonder why :think:

Given the recent findings on rampant racism in the English game, I think we know…

…a English hooliganism has come to cricket and we’ll see whether the Poms embrace it or stand firm

I have never wanted to agree with a comment so much. I've followed Test cricket since the 1960s, as well as having a sound knowledge of the history of the game.

I always enjoyed a comment from the Bodyline TV miniseries where Jardine defines "British fair play". To paraphrase (I cannot recall the exact quote) .... "Preached by old men and generals in board rooms, who turn a blind eye to what is necessary to win the war but are very quick to bask in the fruits of victory".

Personally, I have on occasion been annoyed by some of the things Australians have done on the cricket field, but as a nation we have "generally" accepted responsibility and apportioned blame. For example, the underarm incident. Although not illegal for the time, we still accepted it was something that never should have happened, and Greg Chappell himself admits he made the wrong call and has never offered an excuse.

Then there was the sandpaper incident. I don't know of one Australian cricket person who attempted to defend it. It was wrong and the players were punished. However, over the years I've seen England guilty of cricket atrocities such as the Headingly pitch in 1972, clear cheating and pitch doctoring, no apologies from England.

There was the time an England captain (Atherton?) had a pocket full of dirt and was rubbing it on the ball. Guilty, no penalty. Then the 2005 Ashes where Vaughan's team were using lollies to rub saliva onto the ball and creating more swing. Guilty, no penalty. No apology. People talk about Bodyline, similar to the underarm incident where the tactics were legal under the written law but accepted it probably shouldn't have happened. Nowhere have I read that any apology was forthcoming.

It has always annoyed me when England look down their noses at the behaviour of Australians when they, themselves, have been guilty of far worse. Anyone else think it ironic that Stuart Broad is so indignant about a legal dismissal when he himself is unable to accept umpiring decisions? Anyone else find it incredible that, of all people, Geoff Boycott has to weigh in on the argument of team play when he himself was the most selfish player in the game?

Anyone else astonished by McCullum's indignation when he, himself, ran out Muralitharan for leaving his ground to congratulate his partner Sangakkara upon reaching his century? And finally, anyone else find it incredulous that Bairstow, being a wicketkeeper who should know better, was guilty of trying to dismiss Labuschagne in the very same manner in the same Test?

Stuff like this makes you realise that the US might be broken in so many ways but at least that deviant Charles is not their King…**** the monarchy!

Broad makes some interesting points here, especially about how they view this incident being different to the Marnus and de Grandhomme ones:

Fwiw, I would've liked Pat to have withdrawn the appeal. It would've been a great gesture that would've wiped out the bitter memories of Newlands.

I wonder if 'Careyed' will now get added to the cricketing lexicon, like 'Mankaded' was back in 1948.

Pure sycophancy

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread 2nd Ashes Test England v Australia June 28-July 2 1930hrs @ Lords

Back