Game Day 2nd Preliminary Final VFL. Collingwood v Footscray (2.40pm see OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheers for your work this year. I didn't mean anything personal today and didn't know you had personally made up the list of available AFL players - I just figured it came from the club. I still reckon Sier was a waste of a pick, but that has nothing to do with the hard work you put in to keep us up to date on the VFL. Apologies if I offended you in any way. :)

That's okay. Apology accepted. I'm in no mood to fight...

Firstly huge thanks to MagpieBat
Just brilliant input every week, keeping us all up to date.

Second, regardless of a dissapointing result, it is the reserves. It's all designed with a look to the future and depth for our main team.
So (not) surprised that some get hives because, boo hoo, the result is not what they want.
Seems like just another excuse to bash someone or the club etc. not sure what's gains by that?
It is after all only reserves football.

Good luck to a more successful 2017.
The future belongs to those that prepare for it.
This is the problem with the VFL, it lost me a couple of years back when Hawthorn only played Cyril for half a game in the GF.....the GF! As much as I love watching it during the year, it goes against all my instincts to not play to win when finals come around. Not bashing the club because of course the AFL team is priority, just asking where is the integrity at the lower grade?

This is the problem with the VFL, it lost me a couple of years back when Hawthorn only played Cyril for half a game in the GF.....the GF! As much as I love watching it during the year, it goes against all my instincts to not play to win when finals come around. Not bashing the club because of course the AFL team is priority, just asking where is the integrity at the lower grade?

There should be the Reserves instead of the VFL

You said after that loss that it was a wasted season. So making a prelim is a waste? Be prepared to be disappointed a lot in the future. I assure you we wont make a prelim a lot more than we will.

I also said after our loss to hawthorn in the last round it was a wasted season, and going out without a whimper in a prelim just put an exclamation point on that

You raise the perfect point.
Integrity is a moving beast in the VFL and your Cyril example is exactly weirdly not comfortable.

Any second string doggies players catch the eye today as some steak knives in a Cloke deal?

I have always liked Bailey Dale. Lukas Webb and Mitch Honeychurch played good games aswell.

I reckon all would be handy additions.
Handy though, what are we trying to build, a "handy" team going forward.

I watched Honeychurch with interest today, and Dale today. HC ball used was terrible under pressure, so no, do no want, ever. Dale maybe has more of a future, is a Ramsay type I reckon, would be a good half back with some more development. But we have a plethora of half backs as is.

Webb was by far the most impressive of those three though, he's a goal kicking midfielder, and had more of the ball then anyone on the ground (well one less than Oxley actually).

So in short, the only one I could see improving our senior side, and that's all I'm worried about, is Webb. Dale and HC would be play a lot of VFL football for us, so in trading Cloke for one of them we would gain nothing, in fact we would lose out.

Majority of the team today was VFL listed players (and not even our best VFL listed players, as even a few of them were injured). With the best VFL player in Ben Moloney being injured on top of that, we were never gonna win this one. No idea why we were favourites.

61379396.jpg

Well I didn't anyway.

I thought we would lose but..........

shocked-Monkey-466x300.jpg

Thanks to all contributors to the VFL thread & especially MagpieBat, well done!

hqdefault.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Majority of the team today was VFL listed players (and not even our best VFL listed players, as even a few of them were injured). With the best VFL player in Ben Moloney being injured on top of that, we were never gonna win this one. No idea why we were favourites.
I went to the ground with some hope today, but when I learnt that Tooves and Goody weren't playing, I actually put money on the Dogs to win.

We were never winning that game really, but to lose by 120 points means something went wrong. Maybe the rumours from Caro, Damo and co about the club being a mess off field are true, I doubt it but you dont' go from beating Williamstown easily to putting up an effort and performance like that without something severely wrong happening.

Sad end to a good VFL season, the VFL Magpies winning streak was the highlight of this Collingwood year, and that says it all about where this club is at.

Thanks to MagpieBat TradeDraft 1892 and anyone else who gave updates and reviews of the VFL this year, it was a fun ride.

Very very disappointing end to the VFL season.

The Doggies obviously were on a high from last night's seniors win - several of their best guys were clearly busting their guts to show that they deserve a shot at a Prelim. spot, and the whole team lifted in response.

The Pies, sadly, wilted under that heat, and not having Molony there to help in the middle didn't help. The one good point for me is that we get to learn a LOT about your players even in a huge loss, and the ones who we keep going forward with are the ones who will burn with a desire to learn from and make amends for today's loss.

(In a sad, teary voice) Go Pies.

Disappointing end to the year, but given the circumstances I don't think we should let today take away too much from what has been a pretty damn good and much improved VFL performance.

Im just happy to see the VFL team play finals tbh. Up until last year, our VFL team has always been a basket case.

I went to the ground with some hope today, but when I learnt that Tooves and Goody weren't playing, I actually put money on the Dogs to win.

We were never winning that game really, but to lose by 120 points means something went wrong. Maybe the rumours from Caro, Damo and co about the club being a mess off field are true, I doubt it but you dont' go from beating Williamstown easily to putting up an effort and performance like that without something severely wrong happening.

Sad end to a good VFL season, the VFL Magpies winning streak was the highlight of this Collingwood year, and that says it all about where this club is at.

Thanks to MagpieBat TradeDraft 1892 and anyone else who gave updates and reviews of the VFL this year, it was a fun ride.
Don't know the reasons behind Goodyear missing, but when I heard he was out my mind went back to last year and the omission of Manteit. Obviously blow outs happen in finals and we were missing a few important players, but perhaps player end of year reviews commenced during the week and were a factor?

I felt the players just gave up. Not only that, but the team was very young, inexperienced and tiring. Not trying to use the young excuse, but we had key injuries to both AFL & VFL listed players. About a quarter if the team were inexperienced VFL players.

Don't know the reasons behind Goodyear missing, but when I heard he was out my mind went back to last year and the omission of Manteit. Obviously blow outs happen in finals and we were missing a few important players, but perhaps player end of year reviews commenced during the week and were a factor?
May well have played a part. Look at the players who are leaving.

Witts; Sorry, but his mind has been off the job since the AFL team's season finished. His 2 final performances have been terrible, he is better than that and has showed it all year.
Golds; Worse than ever in the finals.
Toovey; Retiring, named in squad then doesn't play.
Goodyear; Doesn't play after being named, will be delisted
Gault; Did he play? Oh ok

Probably a few others out there who won't be there next year too, Caff definitely but he has no quit in him and he was one of our best.

So maybe yeah, maybe they were told mid week about club decisions re delistings and trading. If so, bad timing yet again.

If that comes out, that players were told of their futures during the week, i would be suprised, very poor form if that did happen.

I have a theory I call the "elastic band" theory.
It means sometimes as a collective, the team isn't playing all that well OR they think that's it, we're done, can't win, it's too hard etc. the elastic band stretches....
The elastic band snaps eventually... Saw the same with GF Sydney getting done circa 2014 and West Coast done 2015. The band snaps and it's an inglorious loss eg St Kilda 2010 replay etc.

If that comes out, that players were told of their futures during the week, i would be suprised, very poor form if that did happen.
Certainly was rumoured to be the case with Manteit last year. Witts' body language coming off the ground strongly suggested he knew it was his last game in black and white, whether it's by his choice or otherwise I don't know. Also Channel 7 stated pre-match tonight that the hawks told Bruest during the week and before last nights final that they'll consider trading him, so if it did occur we wouldn't be the only club.

official word is a calf. he's uncontracted so if he's delisted you'll know it wasn't a calf.
The other option is it's both, but we'll never know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2nd Preliminary Final VFL. Collingwood v Footscray (2.40pm see OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back