Game Day 2nd Preliminary Final VFL. Collingwood v Footscray (2.40pm see OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly was rumoured to be the case with Manteit last year. Witts' body language coming off the ground strongly suggested he knew it was his last game in black and white, whether it's by his choice or otherwise I don't know. Also Channel 7 stated pre-match tonight that the hawks told Bruest during the week and before last nights final that they'll consider trading him, so if it did occur we wouldn't be the only club.

The other option is it's both, but we'll never know.

Why would u sabotage your own clubs chance of success when all can be revealed so soon anyway
Makes no sense to me

Certainly was rumoured to be the case with Manteit last year. Witts' body language coming off the ground strongly suggested he knew it was his last game in black and white, whether it's by his choice or otherwise I don't know. Also Channel 7 stated pre-match tonight that the hawks told Bruest during the week and before last nights final that they'll consider trading him, so if it did occur we wouldn't be the only club.

The other option is it's both, but we'll never know.

richo on 7 was repeating Carey on MMM this arvo. just a rumour.

I watched Honeychurch with interest today, and Dale today.

Many of us have a feeling that Honeychurch is going to need to move on to find another opportunity to get a seniors game. He's a bright kid but he's got far too much competition for a midfield spot as we're graced with so many talented kids.

May well have played a part. Look at the players who are leaving.

Witts; Sorry, but his mind has been off the job since the AFL team's season finished. His 2 final performances have been terrible, he is better than that and has showed it all year.
Golds; Worse than ever in the finals.
Toovey; Retiring, named in squad then doesn't play.
Goodyear; Doesn't play after being named, will be delisted
Gault; Did he play? Oh ok

Probably a few others out there who won't be there next year too, Caff definitely but he has no quit in him and he was one of our best.

So maybe yeah, maybe they were told mid week about club decisions re delistings and trading. If so, bad timing yet again.

and We can't Rely on our VFL Listed players to win us games.

When Toovey was named as Missing. Like mattys123 said I could not see us Winning

Thanks to MagpieBat TradeDraft 1892 and anyone else who gave updates and reviews of the VFL this year, it was a fun ride.

My Pleasure mattys123 and Hopefully do it again Next Season

Many of us have a feeling that Honeychurch is going to need to move on to find another opportunity to get a seniors game. He's a bright kid but he's got far too much competition for a midfield spot as we're graced with so many talented kids.
Congratulations for last night and today.
All the best for both premierships

Congratulations for last night and today.
All the best for both premierships

Thanks MG. Was fairly disappointing for the Pies VFL team after a dominant season, only VFL though and a good future heading forward

Any second string doggies players catch the eye today as some steak knives in a Cloke deal?

I have always liked Bailey Dale. Lukas Webb and Mitch Honeychurch played good games aswell.

I reckon all would be handy additions.

Mitch Honeychurch the only one of the three likely to be available - but I'd be wary from your perspective. He's a good battler, gets a lot of the ball, but the poor disposal (an area of development for you, if I've gauged correctly) is probably a reason you wouldn't be interested.

Koby Stevens is another possibility for you from the Dogs VFL squad and he's already packed his bags clearly. Would be a good hard addition to your team and wouldn't cost too much. He has demonstrated an ability to be a match winner in some games and is great when on.

From the sound of it the Cloke deal has already been finalised (he appears to have accepted a lower contract with us, breaking his contract with you, thus making the negotiations easier for all parties as the cap issue is no longer a factor).

I also said after our loss to hawthorn in the last round it was a wasted season, and going out without a whimper in a prelim just put an exclamation point on that

Agree to disagree. Making a prelim, even if it was in the VFL was a good effort and not something we've done a lot of.
If you didn't see anything to like in the AFL then, fair enough, have your opinion that's it's a wasted season, but the VFL team have given a lot of joy to the supporters when the AFL team may not have.
Far from a wasted season by most of the regular VFL watchers AND a prelim to boot!
Pretty comfortable that if most heard preseason that the VFL made it all the way to the prelim, they'd think that was a good effort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

official word is a calf. he's uncontracted so if he's delisted you'll know it wasn't a calf.
He told me at the game he had an injured calf.
Hasn't heard anything regarding a contract.

Agree to disagree. Making a prelim, even if it was in the VFL was a good effort and not something we've done a lot of.
If you didn't see anything to like in the AFL then, fair enough, have your opinion that's it's a wasted season, but the VFL team have given a lot of joy to the supporters when the AFL team may not have.
Far from a wasted season by most of the regular VFL watchers AND a prelim to boot!
Pretty comfortable that if most heard preseason that the VFL made it all the way to the prelim, they'd think that was a good effort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And what if u also added that we went on to lose that prelim by 119 points?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know the reasons behind Goodyear missing, but when I heard he was out my mind went back to last year and the omission of Manteit. Obviously blow outs happen in finals and we were missing a few important players, but perhaps player end of year reviews commenced during the week and were a factor?

Yeah, we also had a Members information evening and although the players weren't there, the videos were posted online the next day. Maybe some of the slides showing "Future players" missing Gault, Goodyear, Oxley, Golds, etc ... Might have been a bit confronting.

If that comes out, that players were told of their futures during the week, i would be suprised, very poor form if that did happen.

That would be absolutely devastating if that was the case.

Players have a right to know their future before the last minute though, those who are getting delisted need to make plans for their future.

Not ideal but i thought players were "professionals".

Wanted to go to the game but ended up luckily stuck at home watching.

Oxley played really well - with a solid preseason, his goal should be to play seniors most weeks next year.

The other player i like is Collopy. Seems to be at the fall of the ball and has decent leg speed.

Our VFL team make the same stupid decision making and disposal errors that our senior team make. We are the masters at turning the ball over when kicking across goal (under zero pressure).

Disappointing result but not the end of the world.

Not ideal but i thought players were "professionals".

Wanted to go to the game but ended up luckily stuck at home watching.

Oxley played really well - with a solid preseason, his goal should be to play seniors most weeks next year.

The other player i like is Collopy. Seems to be at the fall of the ball and has decent leg speed.

Our VFL team make the same stupid decision making and disposal errors that our senior team make. We are the masters at turning the ball over when kicking across goal (under zero pressure).

Disappointing result but not the end of the world.

Personally I think Oxley should be on the chopping block, the guy will never be a good AFL player.

Last edited:
Players have a right to know their future before the last minute though, those who are getting delisted need to make plans for their future.

I agree, its just the timing I guess. Witts didnt look at all interested.

And what if u also added that we went on to lose that prelim by 119 points?
Same margin as 2007 GF lose by Port Adelaide.
They had a good year but blew it come the big day.
Happens.
If it happens week on week then you just call the team Melbourne

Thanks for all who reported the vfl throughout the year.

Originally I thought was a terrible way to end the season, but I take comfort in knowing if Toovey played we would have won!

Enjoy retirement possum!
Great point.
And there will,only ever be one
Possum Eyes

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2nd Preliminary Final VFL. Collingwood v Footscray (2.40pm see OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back