Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 23 AFL RS/NM SBM, AFLPA BYP, '24 AA squad, '24 AFLCA BYP

Remove this Banner Ad

The league's patience will be wearing quite thin
Perhaps the league shouldn’t have ****ed up the priority picks the last couple of years. Or given us soft cap relief. We might have got ourselves into this mess but if the afl actually gave a shit they should have helped more

Yeah. 18 months of conditioning to play AFL. 18 months being around adults, learning more about himself and his teammates, his own weaknesses, how he responds to pressure and adversity and all the rest and the same with them.

IMO in terms of maturity, self knowledge, physical and non physical development and understanding of the world ... the difference between just turned 20 and about to turn 22 is more significant than the difference between just turned 22 and about to turn 24.

He's already carrying enough on his shoulders with the weight of expectation he has created. he might well be capable of carry the captaincy too but it isn't right expecting him to now,
Yeah don’t worry about being Capt this year, we’ve got more important things for Harry to do;
Send him off to have a chat with Trac/Parker any other experienced player we need to recruit.
Can’t trust anyone else in the club at present not to f it up.
He is the one

Perhaps the league shouldn’t have ****ed up the priority picks the last couple of years. Or given us soft cap relief. We might have got ourselves into this mess but if the afl actually gave a shit they should have helped more
We were never getting topline priority picks. The era of non-expansion clubs getting free top 5 picks after a season with less than six wins are well and truly over. It's shit but it does at least make everyone's hysterics over our assistance all the more hilarious. Not sure if Wil Dawson, Griffin Logue, Zac Fisher and change are equal to the likes of Pendlebury, Josh Kennedy and Franklin.

Soft cap relief is a decent point.

But it still doesn't excuse the utter tripe that our lads have served up on the field. No excuse for poor effort, for poor standards among 'leaders,' for poor muscle tone, for woeful skills, for expecting a loss even when up by 4 goals with a few minutes left. They need to stop with the talk and just ****ing do it. If some of them have breakdowns cos they can't keep up or handle it, they can piss off. The club's on the brink as it is

Seems like the footy world, the commentators, the north fans all want sheezel as captain at this point? I don’t think I really give a shit what the club see’s within the four walls because we all know what 40,000 members see every week for the past five years and Luke McDonald and Jason Simpkin ain’t it

There’s 2-3 generational talents per draft nowadays, thats 90 generational talents per generation.

Harry is more than that, he’s the messiah.

:laughing: Yesterday when I was listening to Harry's interview on SEN and hanging on every word, I thought of this exact scene. #tellusmore

As I said yesterday, he gives us so much hope.

I feel like he's going to be one of our most important and influential North Melbourne players ever - by his nature as much as his playing ability.

View attachment ef718c76-9746-491c-b23b-53bd69ba64cd.mp4

:laughing: Yesterday when I was listening to Harry's interview on SEN and hanging on every word, I thought of this exact scene. #tellusmore

I feel like he's going to be one of our most important and influential North Melbourne players ever - by his nature as much as his playing ability.

View attachment 2094862

Harry being humble

NMFC Bigfooty: Only the true messiah would deny his divinity!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2094862
*Coach trying to inspire confidence in players' abilities in a meeting

Coach: 'You're all individuals!'

Players (chorus): 'Yes! We're all individuals!'

Coach: 'You're all different!'

Players (chorus): 'Yes! We're all different!'

Sheez: 'I'm not'

We were never getting topline priority picks. The era of non-expansion clubs getting free top 5 picks after a season with less than six wins are well and truly over. It's shit but it does at least make everyone's hysterics over our assistance all the more hilarious. Not sure if Wil Dawson, Griffin Logue, Zac Fisher and change are equal to the likes of Pendlebury, Josh Kennedy and Franklin.

Soft cap relief is a decent point.

But it still doesn't excuse the utter tripe that our lads have served up on the field. No excuse for poor effort, for poor standards among 'leaders,' for poor muscle tone, for woeful skills, for expecting a loss even when up by 4 goals with a few minutes left. They need to stop with the talk and just ****ing do it. If some of them have breakdowns cos they can't keep up or handle it, they can piss off. The club's on the brink as it is
We can wax lyrical all we want about how ultimately picks don't matter and the club gets itself in and out of its mess - but the league itself says that the draft and salary cap are its key equalisation measures. It compromises both of them on the altar of profits for itself and certain clubs. If the league says the draft is all important, then butchers it year after year to our detriment, it deserves responsibility for what comes.

It makes me kind of ill that I know he should be in the team, the selectors know he should be in the team and most supporters know he should be in the team but to justify squeezing in a player from a more attractive club + get the opportunity to dud north once again, they will use the last two games he missed as an opportune chance to bend him over.

Dermie only made the AA side once but when he walks into the room he’s known as 5 x Premership Dermie.

Stuff the plastic awards give me 5 x Premiership Sheezel any day of the week..

PS: I would give the lad another 2 years of physical and mental development at the top level and then throw him the keys for the next 12 years.

Dermie only made the AA side once but when he walks into the room he’s known as 5 x Premership Dermie.

PS: I would give the lad another 2 years of physical and mental development at the top level and then throw him the keys for the next 12 years.
Surely not. Surely that’s like the Gaz Lyon situation where he made team of the year 4 times which was essentially the AA team and then when the AA team was brought in he made that once, so really he is 5 x AA?

Are we sure this bloke wasn't made in a lab as part of some secret experiment to create the most well rounded human being?
More like he was sent by God to fix a broken football club. You couldn't ask for a better player, teammate, leader or spokesperson. I'm so grateful that he's a part of North.

I'm now thinking a player of this level, captaincy is the best type of physical and mental development that he can receive - anything else is actually probably holding him back from fulfilling his potential faster. Harry is the exception to the rule.

He already seems to be the 'face' of the club, taking on way more media responsibilities than LMac and Simpkin. He'll probably feature way more heavily in terms of marketing both for the club and the league as a whole. This doesn't seem to affect him at all, I certainly don't see a negative impact on the field - in fact, quite the opposite.

On-field, he is already the leader, just through leading by example, but also because he is becoming the system that every player wants to look for, because when the ball is in his hands, there is a far higher probability something good will happen, and so that lifts the entire team.

Teammates already acknowledge that he sets the standard in training and professionalism. I know humility is a strong suite of his, but how long can he take instructions from any other player that just isn't on his level in terms of work ethic, IQ, etc? The team is exceptionally young too, so relatively speaking, Harry in his 3rd year is becoming a senior team member already. The few that are more senior than him should have the awareness that it's Harry's time already.

A change in mentality has to start somewhere and with someone to instigate it.
Harry’s tried all year to instigate it. Unfortunately until we get a few more players on the list who DESPISE losing, not much will change because the players who don’t genuinely HATE losing will not be consistent enough for long enough. We also need more of the ‘never give up’ types to take on the players who are letting us down!! All starts with the players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 23 AFL RS/NM SBM, AFLPA BYP, '24 AA squad, '24 AFLCA BYP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back