Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 23 AFL RS/NM SBM, AFLPA BYP

Remove this Banner Ad

LDU is one of the five best North Melbourne players that we've seen in the past 25 years. His best is as good as just about any player in the competition, and it's only consistency that holds him back from being recognised as one of the greats.

He is having what might be the best patch of form for his entire career, but Sheezel has arguably outclassed him over this stretch.

I absolutely adore LDU, and only use him as a comparison here to highlight how unreal Sheezel has been. LDU is right in the prime of career, by no means should Sheezel be close to his form at only 19.
All this is currently true. But Wardlaw and perhaps even McKercher will eclipse both. Just let that sink in.

Can bookmark it now Longmire will tag him this week - after all the media attention.
Sheez is Mr consistent , while the rest of the mids are up n down. Stop him and it will handicap us greatly
Please tag him and let LDU and Wardlaw off the chain. Plus Sheezel moves around so much between positions it will be a less effective tag.

Can bookmark it now Longmire will tag him this week - after all the media attention.
Sheez is Mr consistent , while the rest of the mids are up n down. Stop him and it will handicap us greatly

I think it was a given anyway.

The Swans run two lockdown mids.

Rowbottom and James Jordan.

Jordan will be going to Sheez and Rowbottom will be going to LDU.

I think we will Sheez drag Jordan deep forward more than he has the last few weeks.

It’s about time the depth of talent of this side flex their muscles.

This is GW’s game imo to take it right up to Warner. Who he had a good battle with last year (along with Parker) in our game last year.

Please tag him and let LDU and Wardlaw off the chain. Plus Sheezel moves around so much between positions it will be a less effective tag.

I don’t really think that’s how tags work. LDU and Wardlaw still have their direct opponents, they’re not “off the chain”. It’s just one player gets special attention to try and nullify. I have a feeling a tag won’t work very well on Sheezel though. You’d be better off tagging LDU.

Just watched the replay and there were still so many times Sheezel should have been used and wasn’t.

Two examples in the 2nd qtr.

LDU is great and had time but he should have just handballed to Sheezel instead of blazing inside 50 purely cause Harry is a better user and decision maker.

Second one was Scott running off half back had a short one to Sheez who then could have went or summed up next option. Instead just blazed down the line to a 2 on 4 with Curtis having to fly. This ended in King’s goal off the turnover.

Might sound ridiculous but there should be a rule that you give it to him whenever possible. Pies do it with Daicos you can tell. They won a flag doing it.

We’re not in Marc Murphy, Trent Cotchin, Lachie Neale, Patrick Cripps, Sam Mitchell territory.

We’re not even be in Christian Petracca, Nat Fyfe, Dane Swan, Joel Selwood territory.

I think we’re in Diesel Williams, Nathan Buckley, Simon Black, Scott Pendlebury, Michael Voss, Andrew McLeod territory

But there’s a possibility that we may just be in Dustin Martin, Chris Judd, Gary Ablett Jr territory.

That freaks me out just writing it.

Edit: I’m getting a bit carried away here but I can’t help it. After everything - Martin/Kelly debacle, Boomer debacle, Rhys Shaw debacle, missing Blakey, Noble-ball, Cunnington testicular cancer, Majak Bolte bridge, generational JHF and an ice bath, generational Taryn Thomas and his mobile phone, jubilation of getting a GOAT coach to be pulled into the Human Rights court, losing because of an interchange error, missing out on Harley Reid, Fitzroy 90s / Demons 00s form of 17th, 18th, 18th, 17th and on track for 18th again… so many precious weekend hours watching belting after belting….

Sheezel makes it all feel better

Last edited:
His obvious stuff is the footy IQ, vision, mentality, kicking and fast hands.

But I’ve noticed recently that he actually has deceptively good physical characteristics and I think people are bit fooled by his baby face.

He’s 185cm, he’s 80kg, his frame is broader than it seems and will fill out nicely. He’s got more strength and power than you’d guess. He’s not lightning quick but he’s certainly not slow. He’s actually very agile. And his tank is excellent for a 19 year old.

He’s not a Dangerfield style player that relies on superior physical attributes to be good but there’s nothing about his physical capabilities that will hold him back.

We’re not in Marc Murphy, Trent Cotchin, Lachie Neale, Patrick Cripps, Sam Mitchell territory.

We’re not even be in Christian Petracca, Nat Fyfe, Dane Swan, Joel Selwood territory.

I think we’re in Diesel Williams, Nathan Buckley, Simon Black, Scott Pendlebury, Michael Voss, Andrew McLeod territory

But there’s a possibility that we may just be in Dustin Martin, Chris Judd, Gary Ablett Jr territory.

And there’s a possibility he might not even be the best of this group 😂

There isn’t that many of them around. Pendlebury is the direct comparison and now Daicos.

Ablett Jnr had it as a well.

Other than Daicos the others mentioned won’t necessarily work you over athletically, but they don’t need to when they have already made a decision and placed themselves in the best position to impact the contest, while their opponent is still thinking about what to do next.

A lot if it comes down to having that ability to correctly predict what those around you are going to do in a split second.

It’s not something you can necessarily learn, you either have it or you don’t.

You can sharpen reflexes and improve vision and decision making, but some people just process information quicker which is not something you can really teach.
I think you can but its not easy. And a big part of it experience.

But like athletic talent different people start with different baselines and Sheeze's is pretty high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you can but its not easy. And a big part of it experience.

But like athletic talent different people start with different baselines and Sheeze's is pretty high.
You could train your brain as much as you like and most players will never be able to do what Sheezel does.

It’s what separates the greats from the rest. That ability to be one step ahead of everyone else around them.

Im not saying Sheezel is a great of the game, but he has the tools and by the looks of it the mentality and drive to get there.

This is all being done by a kid that hasn’t yet reached his phyisical peak while being in a side that has struggled.

King said it best, this kid is the complete package. His inside game is very underrated as well. He’s no Wardlaw, but he’s no mug at winning his own ball.

It’s going to be a fun ride watching him, Wardlaw and LDU mutilate opposition midfields in their prime.

Good luck…if he wants to do that, just play him forward like last year where he had 20 and kicked 3 goals.

Edit: I’m getting a bit carried away here but I can’t help it. After everything - Martin/Kelly debacle, Boomer debacle, Rhys Shaw debacle, missing Blakey, Noble-ball, Cunnington testicular cancer, Majak Bolte bridge, generational JHF and an ice bath, generational Taryn Thomas and his mobile phone, jubilation of getting a GOAT coach to be pulled into the Human Rights court, losing because of an interchange error, missing out on Harley Reid, Fitzroy 90s / Demons 00s form of 17th, 18th, 18th, 17th and on track for 18th again… so many precious weekend hours watching belting after belting….

It’s getting so exciting that I think we are almost ready for one of those pump up videos you used to do. I think one for Sheezel this pre-season and an overall North one would be mint.

I still go watch your videos from the 2013-2016 period from time to time. They were ace.

Not a lot has gone our way in recent years. We desperately needed some good fortune and we received that on draft night 2022 in the form of Harry & George.

You left out McKercher 😉

I’ve decided he’s the best player in the comp right now. He’s a freak and he’s ours.
Kingy said today he’s the best young player to come into our club since the duck. He’s not wrong
Agree.

The thing that seperates Harry from other up and coming grears already on the list, is his completeness as a footballer. Like the GOAT Carey, you can literally play him anywhere on the field and he naturally dominates the position. He has the class, the iq, the hardness, the skills, the tank and the desire to win at all costs. He's got it all.

Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 23 AFL RS/NM SBM, AFLPA BYP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back