AFL Player #30: Nate Caddy - The Best Caddy since Steve Williams - 6/7

Remove this Banner Ad

Easy one to answer. Most people didn't want Tsatas because they bought the Phillipou hype. Most wanted Caddy because they bought the Caddy hype. Confirmation bias.
I don't buy into the hype of any of them as I don't go down the rabbit warren of pre-draft analysis and chat.

I'm up and about with Caddy as his all round skillset looks great for the position he plays. I hold out hope Tsatas can become a quality mid for us but the issue with his kicking casts doubt on what he'll become.

Will admit, this is me (except I wanted Humphrey)
Yeah, some wanted Humphrey, some wanted Ginbey but most wanted Phillipou

Yeah, some wanted Humphrey, some wanted Ginbey but most wanted Phillipou
And some of us watched a lot of their games and decided they liked the bigger brute who liked the physical game. 🙂

After his game on last week I still see the scope of Phillipou in the midfield.

I reckon more wanted Tsatas than Phillipou or Humphries. It felt like we were a distinct minority.
Most wanted Phillipou. It was a distinct and vocal majority

Not that I recall.
For every pro-Pou or Humphries post it felt like there were two or three Tsatas could be Pick 1 / He's Juddlike etc etc.
The poll on the draft thread literally had over half the votes for Phillipou with Tsatas, Humphrey, Clark and "other" as options.

Easy one to answer. Most people didn't want Tsatas because they bought the Phillipou hype. Most wanted Caddy because they bought the Caddy hype. Confirmation bias.
not to be too pedantic but that's not what confirmation bias is.

And it seems a tad ridiculous to say people are excited by Caddy due to hype. Mainly, I reckon, it's due to their own eyes watching the kid perform so well in just 3 games. Similarly, with Tsatas, they've seen him kick the ball.

Some of us just want footballers who have some idea of how to kick a football. Ironic that the KPF we drafted in the top 10 is 1000x better field kick than the midfielder we drafted in the top 10.

The poll on the draft thread literally had over half the votes for Phillipou with Tsatas, Humphrey, Clark and "other" as options.

It would appear I'm wrong again ... I voted for Clarke.

Time machine scenario I'm picking Humphrey. I really like what I've seen him produce so far. Thought Phillipou was great against the Swans on the weekend though.

And it seems a tad ridiculous to say people are excited by Caddy due to hype. Mainly, I reckon, it's due to their own eyes watching the kid perform so well in just 3 games. Similarly, with Tsatas, they've seen him kick the ball.
I guess Eth was talking about the hype pre draft? Not on what they seen since drafting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time machine scenario I'm picking Humphrey. I really like what I've seen him produce so far. Thought Phillipou was great against the Swans on the weekend though.
If I had known then that Duz and Caldwell would step up in the midfield I woudlve picked Weddle in hindsight. He would pair well with Redman and it would mean Martin could go back up the ground.

Fair enough, but I'm talking about pre draft. Everyone was already up on Caddy, many were down on Tsatas pre draft.
Some of us just want footballers who have some idea of how to kick a football. Ironic that the KPF we drafted in the top 10 is 1000x better field kick than the midfielder we drafted in the top 10.
Most of the best mids in the game over the past 20 years are shit kicks. The exceptions being Ablett and Bont. Fyfe, Martin, Judd, Danger are all very poor kicks. It's not the be all and end all. Tsatas hasn't had a full pre season yet. He's still a teenager and working on his flaws.

I'm still picking Tsatas. He's different to Duz and Caldwell and Parish and Hobbs. He adds a POD with his ability to exit the front of a stoppage with speed.

Fair enough, but I'm talking about pre draft. Everyone was already up on Caddy, many were down on Tsatas pre draft.

Most of the best mids in the game over the past 20 years are shit kicks. The exceptions being Ablett and Bont. Fyfe, Martin, Judd, Danger are all very poor kicks. It's not the be all and end all. Tsatas hasn't had a full pre season yet. He's still a teenager and working on his flaws.

I'm still picking Tsatas. He's different to Duz and Caldwell and Parish and Hobbs. He adds a POD with his ability to exit the front of a stoppage with speed.
Yeah seeing Shiel compliment the new midfield set up gives me some excitement about Tsatas in a couple of years. That explosiveness out of traffic adds another dimension to the grit of duz/Caldwell and class of merrett, will obviously need to find a Merrett replacement in a couple of years (although Duz and Caldwell are decent kicks into 50 too).

Bro. Agree with the rest but Martin is an exceptional kick especially inside 50.
Martin is an overrated kick. Misses badly more than he hits. He is nowhere near consistent enough to be considered good, let alone exceptional.

He pulls off some brilliant kicks which makes everyone think that but then misses the next three which nobody remembers. The amount of times you hear "unusual turnover from Dusty" by Luke, BT etc is remarkable in that they haven't realised that it isn't unusual.

Looks like I voted for Humphrey. I don’t think I would’ve been staunchly against Tsatas though. If I knew his kicking was so poor it would’ve been a different story.

Hopefully he can find a place in the AFL, but it’s bloody hard to make it with poor foot skills.

Martin is an overrated kick. Misses badly more than he hits. He is nowhere near consistent enough to be considered good, let alone exceptional.

He pulls off some brilliant kicks which makes everyone think that but then misses the next three which nobody remembers. The amount of times you hear "unusual turnover from Dusty" by Luke, BT etc is remarkable in that they haven't realised that it isn't unusual.

I view exceptional kicks as a more significant good than turnovers are a significant bad in the front half where Martin would have done 80+% of his kicking. A kick inside 50 that no one else could execute is more of a net benefit than a turnover in the same position is detrimental.

If you were given the option for him to have better retention but less damaging, I don't think anyone would take it.

If Tsatas had the same kicking profile as Martin, I'd be in love with him.

I view exceptional kicks as a more significant good than turnovers are a significant bad in the front half where Martin would have done 80+% of his kicking. A kick inside 50 that no one else could execute is more of a net benefit than a turnover in the same position is detrimental.

If you were given the option for him to have better retention but less damaging, I don't think anyone would take it.

If Tsatas had the same kicking profile as Martin, I'd be in love with him.
I view exceptional kicks as guys who don't have as much separation between their best and worst. Guys like Merrett, who regularly pulls off similar kicks to Martin, but makes nowhere near the errors he does.

As far as exceptional kicks in the AFL I would really only have Daicos, Merrett, Stewart, Gulden and Daniel in that category. It's an incredibly exclusive club.

There are shit kicks and then there are players with flaws in their action.
Anyway Caddy does not have a flaw in his action so we do not have to discuss it in this thread :)

Yeah seeing Shiel compliment the new midfield set up gives me some excitement about Tsatas in a couple of years. That explosiveness out of traffic adds another dimension to the grit of duz/Caldwell and class of merrett, will obviously need to find a Merrett replacement in a couple of years (although Duz and Caldwell are decent kicks into 50 too).
Merrett is aiming to play up to ten more years

Dare I say.. reminds me of Curnow. Let's hope he can get to half of that level. (just read back to see others mentioned that too lol)
Get to that other in his first 4 hangers
I view exceptional kicks as guys who don't have as much separation between their best and worst. Guys like Merrett, who regularly pulls off similar kicks to Martin, but makes nowhere near the errors he does.

As far as exceptional kicks in the AFL I would really only have Daicos, Merrett, Stewart, Gulden and Daniel in that category. It's an incredibly exclusive club.
Ridley must be close

AFL Player #30: Nate Caddy - The Best Caddy since Steve Williams - 6/7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back