Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - MOVED TO WCE - PICK 42 Received

Remove this Banner Ad

One of our better deliverers of the footy inside 50

He’s had issues with injury but also I think the loss of Lambert has seen more attention go onto him as that remaining link player between the midfield and forward line
Making excuses.
Was surrounded by guns and now cant get a kick. Has way too many weaknesses to be best 22.

What case am I making other than 34km/h is up with the big boys for that AFL tracking stat.
The guys on this list aren’t slow… no Todd Goldstein. Your 40km/h has got them all covered of course.

Gary Rohan (Round 1) - 37.8km/h
Charlie Comben (Round 7) - 37.8km/h
Izak Rankine (Round 7) - 36.0km/h
Gary Rohan (Round 12) - 35.4km/h
Charlie Cameron (Round 14) - 35.2km/h
Nick Blakey (Round 14) - 35.2km/h
Bradley Hill (Round 6) - 35.1km/h
Esava Ratugolea (Round 10) - 35.0km/h
Jed Bews (Round 1) - 35.0km/h
Jaidyn Stephenson (Round 12) - 35.0km/h
Harry Cunningham (Round 10) - 34.7km/h
Brodie Smith (Round 16)- 34.7km/h
John Noble (Round 12) - 34.6km/h
Jed Bews (Round 2) - 34.5km/h
Brandon Walker (Round 4) - 34.5km/h
Griffin Logue (Round 10) - 34.5km/h
Jesse Motlop (Round 9) - 34.4km/h
Oisin Mullin (Round 12) - 34.3km/h
Gary Rohan (Round 6) - 34.2km/h
Nick Hind (Round 8) - 34.2km/h
Bobby Hill (Round 11)- 34.2km/h
Oskar Baker (Round 13) - 34.2km/h
Hewago Oea (Round 15) - 34.2km/h
Isaac Heeney (Round 10) - 34.2km/h
If that list included celebrations after a goal, Tom Papley would own the top 10 spots 😁

But let’s post about him only running fast to get Big Macs . Pretty pathetic but I see you saw it that it was worth liking.
It gave me a laugh. Get over it.
I tell you he looked a lot better this year with ball in hand compared to the other midfield types than he ever has.
Trouble was he didn't have the ball in hand very often.

His role is to provide pressure around the contest, and defensive presence when he isn’t in the contest (he is very good at putting his body in the right spot to protect the corridor) from the high half forward position; as well as use the ball well inside f-50.

For context, in 2023 he was our fourth best player statistically for both tackling and for pressure acts (only Taranto, Nankervis and Hopper more average tackles; only Taranto, Nankervis and Prestia more average pressure acts). He was also rated AFL elite for disposal efficiency.

That said, he has dropped off statistically (which backs up the visual drop off) since 2020. That does seem to be reflective of the wider teams drop off over the same period. It will be interesting to see what changes Yze implements and what that looks like in terms of pressure and defensive structure.

That’s not to say Graham is a walk-up best 22 in 2024. But I would argue that at the least he provides the level which those who could displace him in the side need to get to. The likes of Sonsie, Clarke and even potentially Cumberland.
All I say is when we judge someone against a ‘stats’ standard, we’ll keep getting beaten on the scoreboard where it counts!

One of our better deliverers of the footy inside 50

He’s had issues with injury but also I think the loss of Lambert has seen more attention go onto him as that remaining link player between the midfield and forward line
Graham is a very safe kick of the football and can hit the leading player because most of the time he receives the ball running a straight line and kicks a low 30m pass to the forward line. Jack mentioned it once I remember. But that might happen once or twice a game. When did we ever see Graham kick a long 50m pass to advantage, or weight a pass to the open space to make the forward run into, or kick a clever kick around the corner, almost never.

In the few games Ross played half forward late last year he did all those things and had a stack of score involvements, and most on here don't consider Ross as a creative kick. Lambert did it, although maybe not over 50m, Dusty is the master of it. I would have Ross back at half forward because he is creative, not really a wingman, he has the gun running to play the defensive side of the game these days, he can rotate onball and we have a good group of wing/half backs to try and fit into our side. I would have Ross at HF over Graham in best 22 quite easily.

All I say is when we judge someone against a ‘stats’ standard, we’ll keep getting beaten on the scoreboard where it counts!

That’s a fair comment.

I actually think Graham’s statistical output is a microcosm as to the teams lack of success over the last three seasons. He’s still in the top five for KPIs of Pressure Acts and Tackling, but he himself has dropped off over that period of time.

If we were performing better, you’d expect that as he drops off, others would over take him. The fact they haven’t is concerning.

That’s a fair comment.

I actually think Graham’s statistical output is a microcosm as to the teams lack of success over the last three seasons. He’s still in the top five for KPIs of Pressure Acts and Tackling, but he himself has dropped off over that period of time.

If we were performing better, you’d expect that as he drops off, others would over take him. The fact they haven’t is concerning.
Reckon that had a lot to do with Dimma last year and then Mini. New coach new ideas this season, and hopefully a more attacking mindset.

If Jack Graham now becomes a depth player, then our best 23 is pretty good. Certainly good enough to play finals.

I am looking forward to how he looks under a coach that might let him and the rest of the team play with some freedom for once.

If Jack Graham now becomes a depth player, then our best 23 is pretty good. Certainly good enough to play finals.

I am looking forward to how he looks under a coach that might let him and the rest of the team play with some freedom for once.

We would instantly see an uplift in performance from several players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that was clocked in 2020 before injuries. If he ain’t getting the ball and opponents are then speed is irrelevant
It’s going to be very interesting to see what kind of role the new coach asks Jack to play. Can’t wait for preseason training to start and see some reports from track watchers on our apparent new game style.

When Yze was appointed he spoke about getting players back to playing their best roles and Graham made his name playing as a defensive minded midfielder and one thing that we've lacked over the Hardwick era was a midfielder who could run with an opposition midfielder and curb their influence. Graham has a tank and is one of our best gut runners and also has the discipline to stick to a role and nullify an opponent as we saw in the 2017 premiership. He is also tough as we saw in the 2019 prelim where he came back on after busting his shoulder to help get us over the line.

So having said that I wouldn't be against Yze redeploying Graham as a run with midfielder and have him run with an opponent where he can be accountable but can also work off them and get involved in the attacking side of the game. Graham has shown that when he plays that sort of role he can be damaging and have a big impact.

Over the last couple of years though he wasn't played in this sort of role, instead of was stuck on a flank doing a lot of unrewarded running, not really getting involved in the play either defensively or when we had possession, as such the opinion among a lot of supporters is that he is done and dusted and should be shipped off as soon as possible.

Remember Yze stated that he wants us to be defensively strong so that we can build our attack from that. If that is how he wants us to play then IMO Graham certainly has a role to play

Yze will hopefully have new plans for him

The fact Jack Ziebell mentioned him I think it was on trade radio gave me some confidence he’s still in their plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Will be very keen to see how ooze sees these types

The fact Jack Ziebell mentioned him I think it was on trade radio gave me some confidence he’s still in their plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
They are not going to come in a blow up the group. They will give established players every chance to play, as they should coming into a new group. But if they are not performing, or if others below them are performing, then they won't have those years of loyalty to Hardwick to fall back on as far as getting named every week, one would hope. How was Ross dropped (and given a late reprieve when an injury opened up for him). Was playing really well beforegetting dropped, and in our best few that game after being reinstated.

Why would you want him in future plans? Have you not seen his decline?
Grahams 'decline' happened because we went from playing him in his best role, playing him ariund the contest where his pressure and accountability helped free up more attacking players to use their strengths better, to playing him as a HF who never really was involved on the play. Sure he gets up around the contest but he's never really involved in the contest.

That is why I've floated the idea of getting him back into the mix where he can be our run with midfielder who can go with an opposition midfielder and keep them in check. That will help our midfield improve its ability to stop the opposition dominating us at the contest as often happens.

Grahams 'decline' happened because we went from playing him in his best role, playing him ariund the contest where his pressure and accountability helped free up more attacking players to use their strengths better, to playing him as a HF who never really was involved on the play. Sure he gets up around the contest but he's never really involved in the contest.

That is why I've floated the idea of getting him back into the mix where he can be our run with midfielder who can go with an opposition midfielder and keep them in check. That will help our midfield improve its ability to stop the opposition dominating us at the contest as often happens.
What demise, was he ever that good. In his best years he was behind Martin, Edwards, Prestia, Cotchin, Grigg and Lambert and of late Bolton, Taranto and Hopper. Dow was in the guts over him.

He has gone from 14 disposal per game in 2018, at his supposed peak, to 19 at his best in '21. 6 tackles in '18, to 4 this season.
He had the occasional breakout game.

Yes he added pressure, but the whole team added pressure which was our trump card. We took the comp by surprise and now other sides are doing to us or are playing quicker or more stronger midfields, and our pressure combined with the demise of Cotchin has been ordinary at best. Easy to apply pressure when all are doing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - MOVED TO WCE - PICK 42 Received

Remove this Banner Ad

Back