Player Watch #4: Aidan Corr

Remove this Banner Ad

Corr started the year pretty rough and the criticism was justified. But then he turned it around and had a stretch of at least 6 good games which most people seemed to acknowledge. Yesterday, he made some mistakes and a bunch of people go into selective amnesia, insisting that he does this shit every week. Yeah nah. Give him a chance to redeem himself.
Yeah that's my thoughts too. He deserved criticism early in the year but has been very good for quite a while and the criticism after a lack of discipline in a game the defence was under immense pressure is over the top. He is part of the reason the defence has improved and when Logue is back will be a very good 3rd tall. Comben/Logue/Corr is something to build around. With Dawson x2 all of a sudden the backline isn't as much of an issue.

Britney Spears What GIF
🤣I think the last time we saw her was when it was mooted that Comben would move to defence… Regardless, when Logue slots back in, either Dawson or Corr is going to have to give way. Both of them are best 22 right now - in my view. Something will have to give. Comben is playing AA level right now in the backline.

🤣I think the last time we saw her was when it was mooted that Comben would move to defence… Regardless, when Logue slots back in, either Dawson or Corr is going to have to give way. Both of them are best 22 right now - in my view. Something will have to give. Comben is playing AA level right now in the backline.
Frankly I’d prefer if we found a way to play all four and got rid of McDonald.

I rate him, he was one of our best vs Melbourne. But his brain fades are inexcusable and not one off, Dawson and Comben have combined 24 games of experience playing in defense and don't give away stupid free kicks. He just really needs to be more disciplined

I dont think he should be dropped. He is a perfectly adequate defender and HAS improved the last 6 weeks (no coincidence that it coincides with the midfield imorovement).

But.

It is perfectly fair to question his decision making... Maybe not every game, but happening with enough frequency, he gives away red time goals with acts that have no justification whatsoever.

He panics in pressure moments. Probably because he cares so much about not losing his contest in the pivotal moment. This can be coached out and whilst he is a "leader" of the club, he is still young so there is time.

He also needs to use his head when flying the flag against the grubs of the competition. These guys love a player like Corr because hes easily baited.

To sum. Good/Solid defender who would benefit from better confidence in pressure moments and more footy smarts.

panics in pressure moments
In a few contests yesterday it appeared that he had no concept of the next move to make if he was to win the ball other than to immediately dispose of it if he was under pressure. When he did get the ball it was a fling out handball or a blind kick, neither of which gave a teammate even a half chance. A better option might have been to halve the contest and try to force a ball up (although that's easier said than done I suppose).

It would be great if we had a couple of less panic stricken defenders. He and McDonald both tend to cave under pressure far more than Comben and Dawson do. Perhaps it's the opponent they're on who is pushing harder for all I know, but that's how it appears to me anyway.

I dont think he should be dropped. He is a perfectly adequate defender and HAS improved the last 6 weeks (no coincidence that it coincides with the midfield imorovement).

But.

It is perfectly fair to question his decision making... Maybe not every game, but happening with enough frequency, he gives away red time goals with acts that have no justification whatsoever.

He panics in pressure moments. Probably because he cares so much about not losing his contest in the pivotal moment. This can be coached out and whilst he is a "leader" of the club, he is still young so there is time.

He also needs to use his head when flying the flag against the grubs of the competition. These guys love a player like Corr because hes easily baited.

To sum. Good/Solid defender who would benefit from better confidence in pressure moments and more footy smarts.
Young? He's 30. Not young for a footy player.

Corr is a third tall, Kalan is a key defender that is at risk from Logue.

Agree he’s done well but I doubt Corr will make way.

We’ve come a long way to have options since earlier this year.
I reckon Corr is a 4th or 5th tall in a good side. As in, you're happy for him to fill in but should play most weeks in the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing he does possess is a decent baulk. He broke a couple of ankles coming out of defense yesterday. Would prefer he connects with a team mate by hand, rather than a LMac finger breaking bomb kick.

And i agree with you there, im just saying lets not question his toughness as im pretty confident he way understates his real toughness.
I don’t know what you are on about, I never questioned his toughness.

I reckon Corr is a 4th or 5th tall in a good side. As in, you're happy for him to fill in but should play most weeks in the VFL.

Corr has been played out of opposition nearly the entire time he’s been at North.

We brought he across as a 3rd tall and he’s been plugging holes most of the time since.

Been good this year after a slow start. Will will come through as he retires so we have a plan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back